Guardians of the Flame

Chris Goodwin

I thought I'd post some stuff from the Guardians of the Flame series. First up is healing draughts. These generally come in a bottle with about three uses' worth. These are Healing Hand healing draughts; draughts made by the Spider Sect and the other sect whose name I can't recall are less potent, usually starting at 3-4 dice.

These should be built using the Differing Modifiers rules under the Usable By Others Advantage; the UBO Power should probably be built with Persistent and Uncontrolled, and should probably have Extra Time: One Week, along with 0 DCV Concentrate and possibly Requires Skill Roll (EGO-based) to represent a cleric's faith in his or her deity.

Note: This is all being done without the upcoming Fantasy Hero supplement. When that book comes out, this may be modified. I'm not using the playtest document because some things there may change.

Cost Power END
40 Healing Draughts: (Total: 179 Active Cost, 40 Real Cost) Can Recover Limbs: Custom Power , Cumulative (x2 Max) (+3/4), Variable Effect (STUN, END, BODY) 4 Powers Simultaneously (+1) (14 Active Points); 3 Charges which Never Recover (-3 1/4), Only For Recovering From Disabling/Impairing Wounds (-1) (Real Cost: 3) plus Healing 6d6 (max. Healed Points: 36), Cumulative (x2 max.) (+3/4), Variable Effect: BODY, STUN, END Four Powers Simultaneously (+1) (165 Active Points); 3 Charges which Never Recover (-3 1/4), Reduced Effectiveness Over Time (full for 1 Week; loses 1d6 per level beyond this on Time Chart) (-1/4) (Real Cost: 37)
Powers Cost: 40

Actually, I don't remember the users becoming more invigorated, just patched up. Admitedly the amount of patching was hefty. You might even consider a Heal with a Regeneration tag. I'm pretty sure that there was a lingering healing effect for a short time after drinking one of the pots - character running into a fire after drinking the pot to avoid flame damage over a period of time. Of course it's been a LONG time since I read the series so I might just be spouting nonsense.

I read the GoF series (or at least part of it) long ago, and as a total coincidence read the Prologue of Not Quite Scaramouche (which I bought a couple of days ago) just this morning.

However, Im not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish with this power construct. Healing already has an option for Regrow Lost Limbs built into it as an Adder.

As far as the Healing itself goes, Im unclear on what the Reduced Effectiveness is supposed to indicate. Are you indicating that the Healing Draught itself gets "stale" and looses effectiveness?

Also, you should apply IND to the construct.

Originally posted by Shadowpup

Actually, I don't remember the users becoming more invigorated, just patched up.

I seem to recall seeing several occasions where they were invigorated.

Admitedly the amount of patching was hefty. You might even consider a Heal with a Regeneration tag. I'm pretty sure that there was a lingering healing effect for a short time after drinking one of the pots - character running into a fire after drinking the pot to avoid flame damage over a period of time. Of course it's been a LONG time since I read the series so I might just be spouting nonsense.

Perhaps. I might redo the whole thing; I'm not sure I like the idea of three charges, because you don't have to use an entire charge.

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

I read the GoF series (or at least part of it) long ago, and as a total coincidence read the Prologue of Not Quite Scaramouche (which I bought a couple of days ago) just this morning.

However, Im not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish with this power construct. Healing already has an option for Regrow Lost Limbs built into it as an Adder.

You can't limit just the Adder in Hero Designer; were I writing it up by hand I would have used the actual Adder and applied a -1 Limitation to it. Healing draughts don't actually regrow limbs, but they can bring them back from complete uselessness.

As far as the Healing itself goes, Im unclear on what the Reduced Effectiveness is supposed to indicate. Are you indicating that the Healing Draught itself gets "stale" and looses effectiveness?

That is exactly what I am indicating. I believe it was mentioned at least a couple of times in the series that this was the case.

Also, you should apply IND to the construct.

Perhaps someone else will refigure the whole thing with Independent added. I dislike the concept and have never truly liked the way it fits in with the rest of the system (cf my rant elsewhere). Besides, characters don't buy these with points, so Independent is useless. At any rate, from one point of view the Healing Hand (the actual deity, aka the GM) is the one spending the points.

EllegonAs promised, here is Ellegon.EllegonPlayer:

Val Char Cost
40 STR 30
18 DEX 24
30 CON 40
20 BODY 20
13 INT 3
18 EGO 16
40 PRE 30
10 COM 0
20 PD 12
20 ED 14
4 SPD 12
14 REC 0
60 END 0
55 STUN 0
12" RUN02" SWIM08" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 201
Cost Power END
Size: Huge
12 1) Heavy: Knockback Resistance -6"
12 2) Pretty Fast On The Ground: +6" Running (12" total) 1
10 3) Reach: Stretching 2" 1
5 Darksight: Infrared Perception (Sight Group)
112 Dragon Breath: Multipower, 112-point reserve
7u 1) Dragon Breath: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (vs. ED), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (44" Line; +1 1/4) (112 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) 11
7u 2) Dragon Breath: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (vs. ED), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (23" Cone; +1 1/4) (112 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) 11
2u 3) Burn Arrows: Missile Deflection (Arrows, Slings, Etc.), Ranged Full Range (+1) (20 Active Points)
13 Dragon Hide: Damage Resistance (20 PD/20 ED) (20 Active Points); Not Vs. Dragonbane Or Dragonbane-coated Weapons (-1/2)
48 Dragon Wings: Flight 24", Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (72 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2)
45 Dragon Claws/Bite: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 3d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD) 4
120 Dragon Mindreading: Telepathy 20d6, Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (150 Active Points); Reduced By Range (-1/4)
36 Dragon Mindreading: Mind Link (Any Willing Target), No LOS Needed, Number of Minds (x16) (45 Active Points); Limited To Telepathy Range (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 429
Cost Skill
9 +6 vs. specific OCV modifier with Sweep using Dragon Claws/Bite HKA
4 AK: Home 13-
2 AK: This Side (continent) 11-
2 Navigation (Air) 12-
2 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical) 12-
3 Power: Dragon Abilities (INT-based) 12-
Skills Cost: 22
Val Disadvantages
15 Physical Limitation: Enormous (Frequently; Greatly Impairing)
5 Physical Limitation: No Fine Manipulation (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
5 Physical Limitation: Cannot Speak (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
20 Psychological Limitation: Protective Of Cullinane Family (Common; Total)
15 Psychological Limitation: Afraid Of Bows/Crossbows (Common; Strong)
20 Distinctive Features: Dragon (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10 Reputation: Protects Cullinane Family 11-
20 Susceptibility: Dragonbane 3d6 damage, per Turn (Uncommon)
15 Hunted: Pandathaway Guilds' Council 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; Limited Geographical Area; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find)
327 Dragon Bonus
Disadvantage Points: 452

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 652

Height: 40' 0" Hair: N/A
Weight: 20000 lbs Eyes: Blue?
Appearance: Ellegon is approximately the length of a Greyhound bus from his nose to the tip of his tail (call it 40 feet) and weighs approximately 10 tons. He has green scales and pretty much looks like a dragon.Personality: Ellegon is a young dragon; even though he is over 300 years old, he is still a child, and will probably be so long after his human friends are dead and gone. He has a lingering phobia of men with bows and crossbows due to the circumstances of his capture and long imprisonment.Quote:*Are you humans always in heat?*Background: Ellegon is a dragon presumably from Faerie, whose range was the unnamed continent shown in the Guardians of the Flame series. Several hundred years ago, barely a hatchling, Ellegon was attacked and shot out of the sky by a group sent out by the Pandathaway Council of Guilds, using dragonbane-tipped crossbow quarrels. He was captured and imprisoned in the Pandathaway sewer system, where his only choice was to either burn the sewage to ash or drown in it. He was imprisoned there for literally several hundred years, until Karl Cullinane came along and rescued him. Ever since he has acted as protector of Karl and his family, and is a great asset to the Home colony.

(Ellegon was created by Joel Rosenberg. This writeup is © Christopher A. Goodwin)

Powers/Tactics: Ellegon isn't much for subtlety. He tends to rely on his tough hide and his powerful attacks to end a fight as quickly as possible. He has been known to chomp entire cows in half with one bite. If he can, he will flame arrows and other similar projectiles out of the air. He can "dust" targets on the ground; this is treated as a Power Stunt using his Dragon Abilities Power Skill.Campaign Use: Ellegon has been known to be the cavalry all on his own. He can be very useful in the background as a courier or transport service, and Karl Cullinane tends to schedule raids for times when he knows the dragon will be in the vicinity.

He also has some sort of Change Environment or something with his flame. He's able to bathe a person in it to burn off crap (literal) but leave the person unharmed.

I'm assuming that was part of the Personal Immunity, and that as a Power Stunt he can grant other people immunity to his own flame. I have no idea how to build it, though.

Upon rereading The Sleeping Dragon, I note that Ellegon also has Mental Illusions, at least to a point; he can make Karl feel pain or make him vomit from the memory of 300 years worth of living in a sewer. Perhaps in a Multipower with the Telepathy?

Anyway, I will redo both the healing draughts and Ellegon and repost them at some point.

The illusions thing might have been a PRE Attack with telepathic images as the special effect. But my memory of the event is very very fuzzy.

Maybe involving a Power Stunt? I knew that Dragon Abilities Power Skill would come in handy....

I'd go so far as to say Ellegon has a Mind Link with the Cullinanes

Already in there. :)

Guest white peregrine

I would go with straight mental illusions as far as ellegon goes. in addition, I would add on mind link and telepathy. possibly all this in a telepathic EC.

the change environment to the flame would work as well. the limitation, only to burn things off target would work...

GoF...always liked that series...