Fading Suns

Zed-F

Mark Grantham sits on a bench at Galaxyland amusement park, next to his wife Marylynn, and puffs. Trying to keep up with his granddaughter Rose was exhausting; he and his wife were watching the 8-year-old tyke today while her mother had a dental appointment and various other errands to attend to. At the moment she's on a ride that promises to last for at least a few minutes, which is good because after getting dragged around the whole fairgrounds for the last 2 hours sampling rides at every conceivable corner of the park, Mark needs a break. He sits back and lets his eyes roam the crowds while he tries to recover his breath.

-----

Olivia Roth checks in at the Galaxyland Hotel and allows the bellhop to take her bags, of which there are many, up to her room. She has an engagement this evening to walk the runways at a high-glitz fashion show being held in the hotel ballroom this evening, and her many bags are full of some of the garments she is supposed to be modelling. She smiles at some passers-by who recognize her, and when they ask for her autograph, she cheerfully obliges. Leaving the bellhop's tip for him at the desk, Olivia takes her keys, and considers what she ought to do to occupy herself for the hours until the fashion show begins. Pocketing the keys, she looks out the window and sees the giant amusement park. Perhaps something there will strike her fancy, she thinks.

-----

Edward Trimble frowns as he pulls his notebook from his trenchcoat pocket, standing outside the gates to the amusement park. This is definitely the place, the clues line up too closely for it to be a coincidence. Still, it's puzzling. He's been following the trail of this felon for some time and nothing in his profile indicates that he's the sort of person who'd frequent a place like this. Nevertheless, the conclusion that his quarry has some business here seems nearly inescapable. Snapping his notebook closed and replacing it in his pocket, he turns to enter the park.

-----

Alice Freidmont is sweltering in a cramped back office at the Galaxyland control center, going over the plans for a recently refurbished rollercoaster with a structural engineer. She's been called in as a consultant to double-check the safeties and make certain the ride is safe to be re-opened. It's not a glamourous job, and the pay isn't exactly the best, but she can squeeze it into her teaching schedule and she needs the money. Wiping the sweat from her brow, she lets the structural engineer concentrate on the mechanics of the roller coaster, while she refocusses her attention back on the electronics and animatronics.

-----

It's a perfectly peaceful, sunny day at Galaxyland amusement park. The kind of day the children wish could go on forever. Of course, some things never last.

Olivia's pleasant jaunt through the park is rudely interrupted when a man in a clown suit accosts her. Most of the people she's met today have been happy to see her, but this one is different. "Well hello, Olivia. Fancy meeting you here," he chuckles, and Olivia immediately goes on guard at the voice. "The last time we met, you sent me to prison. This time, I'm going to send you to the morgue."

"Big talk, Master Blaster," Olivia replies, stepping backwards and away from a group of children as the man shucks his clown suit and produces a pair or large caliber energy cannons he'd been hiding in his prop bag. With a flash of light, her clothing crisps away to reveal a crimson-and-orange bodysuit. "I sent you to prison before, and I can do it again."

"I doubt it," Master Blaster sneers, "I've heard about you." He lets loose with a pair of energy bolts, but just as he does the heroine known as Solar Flare begins glowing brightly with the light of the sun, and Master Blaster winces, squinting. Solar Flare leaps skyward and the energy bolts pass under her, slamming into a food vendor's stall and exploding it into splinters, the food vendor diving aside in time to escape serious injury. "You still know some tricks, I see. Fortunately, I have just the counter for that one." Still glowing, Solar Flare rains a fiery bolt down on Master Blaster, but his body armour proves more than sufficient to blunt the attack. Master Blaster sneers again. "Looks like what I heard was right. You haven't got the spark any more, I barely felt that. Now it's time to say goodnight, Livvie," he threatens, raising his weapons to track the glowing heroine.

Some distance away, Mark looked on as the clown revealed himself as Master Blaster, and the glowing figure of Solar Flare took to the skies. He glanced a sidelong glance at his wife. "Go on," she says. "You'll be insufferable if you don't. Just try not to hurt yourself." Mark just nods, grateful that his wife is so understanding. Their golden anniversary is coming up soon, he'll have to get her something extra-special... but for now, those thoughts fade away as he heads into a restroom. Moments later a powerfully-built hero of yesteryear makes his appearance, and his presence felt. "You youngsters pick the worst places for a fight," the white-and-gold clad aging hero known as Sunstroke declares, interrupting Master Blaster as he is about to fire at Solar Flare. "Can't you see how many children there are running around here?" And with that, he throws a punch at Master Blaster, who takes the hit and rocks back slightly at the blow, but seems unimpressed.

"Beat it, pops, before you get hurt. In fact, I have just the thing to send you on your way," the villain announces, taking a step back and letting loose with another pair of energy bolts. These find their mark and send the older hero tumbling back through the air, only to crash to the earth at the foot of a water fountain some distance away, groaning. A figure in black and red rushes up out of the crowd and helps Sunstroke to his feet.

"Shooting Star?" the aged hero asks, wheezing. "What are you doing here?"

"Just following up on a lead. I see I've arrived just in time."

"You certainly are a fast one," Sunstroke agrees with a quick smile between gasps for breath.

Shooting Star looks pained by the comment, however. "Not so much, it seems," he mutters, then leaves a puzzled Sunstroke to recover, and rushes toward Master Blaster.

Meanwhile upon seeing that Master Blaster has knocked Sunstroke for a loop, Solar Flare screams in fury. Summoning all her reserves of energy, she launches a titanic blast of flame at Master Blaster, knocking him down and sending him sprawling across the ground. Nevertheless, he gets up quickly. "Not bad," he coughs, wincing. "I actually felt that. That's more like what I might have expected from you a couple years ago. But you used to be able to toss bolt after bolt like that. Think you can get off another one of those?" The question is rhetorical, as Solar Flare wobbles in the sky with exhaustion, no longer glowing. "Guess not," he answers himself, his hand cannons letting loose with a hail of energy bolts. Solar Flare desperately tries to dodge them, but is nevertheless hit repeatedly, and begins to tumble from the sky. "Time to die," he adds calmly, lining up the killing shot on her falling form.

He's interrupted by Shooting Star giving him a solid kick to the ribs. "Not so fast, Master Blaster!" the black-clad young man declares. .oO(Not so fast is right. Not fast enough to prevent her from getting shot. Not fast enough to stop her from making a red smear on the pavement when she hits. But just maybe fast enough to give her a couple extra seconds by distracting Blaster here...)

Master Blaster, however, is unfazed by the kick. "What? Shooting Star? Where's your patented lightning charge attack? If you want to go toe-to-toe with me, though, I'm not going to argue." He aims a brutal overhand smash at the hero, using one of his hand cannons as a massive club, but the agile Shooting Star weaves to avoid the blow. "Solar Flare is about to die anyway."

"That's where you're wrong!" cries a high soprano voice descending from the sky, and a young figure in a blue and white costime, wearing a matching jetpack, swoops down in time to catch Solar Flare and save her from falling to her death. She lands lightly and sets the woozy fire projector down on her feet, where the latter tries to catch her breath.

Shooting Star recognizes the newcomer. "Corona!" he shouts happily as he delivers another punch to Master Blaster's chest, which connects but apparently for little effect. "Am I glad to see you! I thought we'd lost her!"

"You're about to lose her anyway," Master Blaster growls, ignoring Shooting Star and lining up another shot on his target. Corona takes aim with her own weapon, firing at Master Blaster, who again all but ignores the shot. "That the best you got? Better stick to flying. And now..." Master Blaster is interrupted again, this time by Sunstroke stepping into the line of fire, throwing another punch which fails to budge the villain. "What is this, a friggin' hero convention? You guys are all wimps, none of you can touch me. Except maybe Shooting Star here, if he weren't getting so up close and personal. But I got this thing about being outnumbered, so what say I put a couple of you out of the picture and clear up my sightlines at the same time." And with that, Master Blaster activates his bootjets, and rockets up into the sky before Shooting Star or Sunstroke can get their hands on him.

Corona runs up to join them, leaving Solar Flare collapsed on a park bench. "She's ok but I think she's out of this fight," she reports.

"Only if we can keep her out of it," Shooting Star mutters.

"Blast," grumbles Sunstroke. "I can't hit him up there, he's too high. Not unless I really exert myself, and then I'm as likely to throw my back out as anything else."

Shooting Star thinks for a moment. "Throw me," he replies.

"You sure?" Sunstroke queries.

Shooting Star nods, pulling out a short, heavy club that hums with power. Corona looks at it interestedly. The young hero turns to her with a level gaze of command. "When I hit him, take him out. Use your best shot. Understand?" Corona nods. Shooting Star turns to Sunstroke once again. "All right, let's do it."

"One fastball special, coming up," the aged hero announces, then picks up Shooting Star and hurls him at Master Blaster, just as the latter turns about and prepares to launch his final attack on his hated foe, lying helplessly on the park bench.

"What the?!?" is all he has time for as the red-and-black clad avenger flies at him, club cocked for a brutal swing. Despite Sunstroke's powerful throw, Shooting Star comes in low, and sees that he will only be able to hit Master Blaster's legs as the villain triggers his jets once again to gain altitude. Nevertheless he takes his shot when the moment of impact arrives, hoping it will be enough. Just as the club connects with Master Blaster's legs, a massive concussion shakes him from above, and he collides with Master Blaster as the latter begins tumbling backwards from the impact, legs coming up *toward* him as Master Blaster's upper torso is knocked away by the blast. The pair begin to fall earthward, and Shooting Star clings to the villain's unconscious form as best he can with one hand, trying with the other to unfurl his gliding cape and impart some measure of control to their rapid descent...

-----

Police sirens can be heard in the distance as Shooting Star climbs out of the watery pool at the bottom of the flume ride, hoisting the still unconscious Master Blaster out with him. Solar Flare, Corona, and Sunstroke are there to meet him, the latter giving him a hand with his burden as he climbs out of the water. Shooting Star looks first at Sunstroke. "Thanks for the assist," to which the elder hero nods. Then he turns to Corona. "That was some hit."

"You did say for me to give it my best shot," she replies modestly.

"That I did," he agrees levelly, before turning to Solar Flare. "Glad to see you're all right."

"Thank you for saving my life," Solar Flare responds. "All of you."

"I don't think we could have done it if you hadn't softened him up first," Sunstroke considers.

Shooting Star nods again in agreement. "You know, Master Blaster may not be mastermind material, but he is a pretty high threat solo operator. It took all four of us to take him down, but we did it. We make a pretty fair team."

Sunstroke scowls. "Really. I'm retired, you know."

Corona rubs her chin thoughtfully. "Doesn't make him wrong," she replies, to which Sunstroke is forced to concede the point.

"I think it's a grand idea," Solar Flare rejoins. "Think about it. And since I'm sure none of you will have any trouble finding me, I volunteer to be the contact person. Drop me a line once you've come to a decision on the matter. Now, I believe the police are about to arrive shortly, and the media soon after, so if you are feeling bashful, now would be a good time to take your leave. I'll be sure to give you full credit for your parts in this little fracas, never fear," she smiles warmly.

The quartet nods and begins to separate, leaving Solar Flare, already basking in the anticipated glow of the cameras, to relate the tale.

Re: Fading Suns

Most hero games are about heroes who are at the peak of their power, or rising to it. I had the idea for Fading Suns to write about a group of heroes who are instead, for one reason or another, on the downslope of the power curve. The heroes of Fading Suns are all experienced heroes, whose default attacks and powers are for the most part in the street level range -- mostly 8d6 or thereabouts -- and consequently a large portion of their adventures would be fighting against street level foes. However, as they all used to operate at mid-to-high power levels, they all have enemies that fall in those power ranges, and consequently they sometimes have to band together to face a much bigger threat. Accordingly they each have one or more limited-use special powers that enable them to compete at that level for a brief period of time, and the CVs to be reasonably confident of being able to land a hit when it matters most. I'll be posting their character sheets over the next couple of days.

I've been toying around with this sort of idea myself. I was thinking, however to have it be an band of former heroes, ones who have all retired for some reason or another. Sunstroke is a perfect example of what I was thinking of, heroes of a bygone age.

I was thinking of letting them be 300pt characters with an additional 25pts that have to be spent either on Skills or Perks.

I think you might find Solar Flare is up your alley as well, DEFCON Clown. Regardless, since you've expressed a preference, here's the writeup for Sunstroke:

[b]Sunstroke - Mark Grantham[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
40    STR     30   40      17-       HTH Damage 8d6  END [4]
20    DEX     30   20      13-       OCV 7 DCV 7
23    CON     26   23      14-
13    BODY    6   13      12-
13    INT     3   13      12-       PER Roll 12-
14    EGO     8   14      12-       ECV: 5
20    PRE     10   20      13-       PRE Attack: 4d6
12    COM     1   12      11-
10    PD      2   10/30             10/30 PD (5/25 rPD)
10    ED      5   10/30             10/30 ED (5/25 rED)
4    SPD     10   4                 Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
10    REC     -6   10
46    END     0   46
45    STUN    0   45
6    RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
8    LEAP     0   8"                8" forward, 4" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 125[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
Basic Brickiness: List - END=
5     1)  [b][i]Inherent Toughness[/i][/b]: Damage Resistance (5 PD/5 ED) - END=0
5     2)  [b][i]Latent Imperviousness[/i][/b]: Rapid Healing [Notes: Imperviousness reasserts while he sleeps.] - END=
3     3)  [b][i]Immovable Stance[/i][/b]: Knockback Resistance -3" (6 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll  (-3/4), Must Be Aware Of Attack (-1/4) - END=0
      - END=
30     [b][i]Imperviousness[/i][/b]: Armor (20 PD/20 ED) (60 Active Points); Ablative BODY or STUN (-1) [Notes: Starts strong, fades fast. Recovers while he sleeps.] - END=0
14     [b][i]Brick Tricks[/i][/b]: Multipower, 45-point reserve,  (45 Active Points); all slots Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Activation Roll 11- (-1), Side Effects: 1d6 KA (-1/4) [Notes: All these tricks push Sunstroke's body beyond what he is now capable of without stressing himself.] - END=
1u     1)  [b][i]Strength Of His Youth[/i][/b]: +40 STR (40 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Activation Roll 11- (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Side Effects: 1d6 KA (-1/4) [Notes: Up to 80 STR Total.] - END=12
1u     2)  [b][i]Shockwave[/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Explosion (Cone; -1 DC/2"; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Activation Roll 11- (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Side Effects: 1d6 KA (-1/4) [Notes: 12d6 Explosive Cone w/ 30 STR.] - END=12
1u     3)  [b][i]Distance Punch[/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +5d6, Double Knockback (+3/4) (44 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Activation Roll 11- (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Side Effects: 1d6 KA (-1/4) [Notes: 10d6 x2KB w/ 25 STR] - END=12
1u     4)  [b][i]Unblockable Strike[/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +7d6, Indirect (Up to 1" in front of character; +1/4) (44 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Activation Roll 11- (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Side Effects: 1d6 KA (-1/4) [Notes: 14d6 Indirect w/ 35 STR] - END=12
1u     5)  [b][i]The Big Wrap-up[/i][/b]: Entangle 4d6, 5 DEF (45 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Activation Roll 11- (-1), OIF Object of Opportunity (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Side Effects: 1d6 KA (-1/4) - END=12
1u     6)  [b][i]Truly Impervious I[/i][/b]: Force Wall (18 PD) (45 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Activation Roll 11- (-1), Self Only (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Side Effects: 1d6 KA (-1/4) [Notes: Chin blocks physical attacks.] - END=12
1u     7)  [b][i]Truly Impervious II[/i][/b]: Force Wall (18 ED) (45 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Activation Roll 11- (-1), No Range (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Side Effects: 1d6 KA (-1/4) [Notes: Chin blocks energy attacks.] - END=12
1u     8)  [b][i]Mighty Leap[/i][/b]: Leaping + 27" (Accurate, x8 Noncombat) (42 Active Points); Activation Roll 11- (-1), Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Side Effects: 1d6 KA (-1/4) [Notes: 35" with base leaping.] - END=12
      - END=

[b]POWERS Cost: 65[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
     Everyman
0      1)  Acting 8-
0      2)  Climbing 8-
0      3)  Concealment 8-
0      4)  Conversation 8-
0      5)  Deduction 8-
0      6)  Language:  English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
0      7)  Paramedics 8-
0      8)  Persuasion 8-
0      9)  PS: Retired Superhero 11-
0      10) Shadowing 8-
0      11) TF:  Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
0      12) WF:  Clubs, Fist-Loads, Thrown Rocks, Unarmed Combat

2      AK: Campaign City 11-
3      Breakfall 13-
12      +4 with Strike, Grab, Haymaker
3      Hoist 12-
3      Oratory 13-
3      Power:  Brick Tricks 13-
3      Scholar
1      1)  KS: Campaign City (2 Active Points) 11- [Notes: Who's who, current events, gossip / rumors, etc.]
1      2)  KS: Campaign City History (2 Active Points) 11-
1      3)  KS: Metahuman World (2 Active Points) 11-
1      4)  KS: Rogues Gallery (2 Active Points) 11-
1      5)  KS: Superstrong Beings (2 Active Points) 11-
10      +1 Overall
3      Stealth 13-
3      Teamwork 13-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 50[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
2      Reputation:  Former Premiere Hero (A medium-sized group: Campaign City) 11-, +2/+2d6
3      Well-Connected
1      1)  Contact:  Mayor of Campaign City (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity: HID Only) (2 Active Points) 8- [Notes: Sunstroke used to have a very strong relationship with the city officialdom, but these days they frequently ignore him.]
2      2)  Contact:  Media of Campaign City (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity: HID Only), Organization Contact (x3) (3 Active Points) 8- [Notes: Sunstroke has always been good for a soundbyte.]
2      3)  Contact:  Metahuman Legion (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity: HID Only), Organization Contact (x3) (3 Active Points) 8- [Notes: An association for veteran (retired) metahumans.]

[b]PERKS Cost: 10[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
15     Dependent NPC:  Wife (Marylin), Granddaughter (Rose) 8- (Normal; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)
10     Hunted:  Rogues Gallery 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish) [Notes: Various villains from his past, mostly singly.]
10     Hunted:  Younger Brick Villains 8- (Mo Pow, Mildly Punish: Humiliate)
10     Physical Limitation:  Nearsighted (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
5     Physical Limitation:  Heavy Sleeper, -3 PER to wake up (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Old School Hero (Very Common, Strong) [Notes: Protects innocents, honorable, etc.]
15     Psychological Limitation:  Strives to Prove Himself (Very Common, Moderate) [Notes: Wants to show he's still got what it takes.]
15     Psychological Limitation:  Code vs. Killing (Common, Strong)
10     Reputation:  Has-been Old Fart Superhero, 11-
15     Social Limitation:  Secret ID (Frequently, Major)
15     Susceptibility:  Absolute Darkness, 3d6 damage per Minute (Uncommon) [Notes: Complete absence of light]
10     Vulnerability:  2 x Effect Darkness-based Drains (Uncommon)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Base Pts: 100
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 250

Height: 1.75 m Hair: White, Balding

Weight: 100.00 kg Eyes: Sky Blue

Appearance: Sunstroke is a balding elderly man with something of a potbelly. What remains of his hair (around the sides and back) is mostly white. In his secret ID he wears loose-fitting comfortable clothes that are often decades out of style, but he sticks with the basics so he doesn't tend to stick out. When in costume, he wears a white bodysuit with a golden sundisk overlaid by a golden fist, and often a matching golden cape with the same logo in white.

Personality/History: Sunstroke is a solar-powered brick ala Superman. However, he doesn't have Superman's longevity, and the peak of his career was many years ago. He's been retired from the big leagues for some time. He really misses the 'good old days' when he was in his prime and capable of operating as a premiere hero full time, and sometimes has trouble reining himself in. He also has a somewhat antiquated notion of what it means to be a good guy.

Quote: "Youth and raw power is no match for experience and a good heart!"

Powers/Tactics: Sunstroke tries to pace himself, as he knows he's not as young as he used to be. While he's very tough to seriously hurt, at least initially, he's vulnerable to being battered in a prolonged conflict. Moreover, if he tries to exert himself at his full strength, he's likely to throw his back out or otherwise injure himself. Consequently, he tends to reserve his full power for when the chips are really on the line.

Sunstroke draws his power from sunlight, though really, any sort of light will do, even in trace amounts. Absolute darkness causes him great pain, however, and he is vulnerable to powers that draw his solar energy out of his body.

Campaign Use: Brick, in a campaign which focuses mainly on street level threats, with the occasional big bad to provide a higher grade of challenge.

About the time I ditched D&D and took up Champions (well, Superhero 2004 to Villains & Vigilantes to Champions 1st Ed) I ran a final adventure for my D&D players. Set 30 years after their adventures They were older, fatter, greyer and not the youngsters they once were. The banded together to once again fight an evil threat against the Royal Family they had restored to the throne.

My players looked upon it as "one last ride to glory" and all of them, in a bunch, went out with a bang. Draw a line in the sand, no retreat, no surrender kind of thing. Heck of an end to 6 years of D&D campaign.

Beware of this happening here. The Characters can get into a mindset that the only way for a hero to go down is to go down fighting. And thus they'll start to do stuff that a young character wouldn't consider. Sort like the Captain America line "You free the prisoner, I'll hold off the army". They'll do one brick vs Godzilla if it gives them a heroic end and a good story to tell over the post game beer

That's a good point, you need to have clear communication between the players and the GM about the intended tone of the game. You could run something along these lines anywhere from a fairly optimistic Bronze age tone where death is uncommon and not necessarily permanent, to a fairly pessimistic Iron age tone where death is very common and perhaps more final.

My intention with these characters was closer to the former; even if the villains do use lethal attacks and make lethal threats from time to time, the characters won't get killed if they work together. They might get captured or otherwise severely inconvenienced if they are defeated, but a character death should be both rare and dramatic, and a TPK is not genre-appropriate in the setting I had in mind.

Next up: Solar Flare...

[b]Solar Flare - Olivia Roth[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
10    STR     0   10      11-       HTH Damage 2d6  END [1]
23    DEX     39   23      14-       OCV 8 DCV 8
19    CON     18   19      13-
10    BODY    0   10      11-
13    INT     3   13      12-       PER Roll 12-
18    EGO     16   18      13-       ECV: 6
18    PRE     8   18      13-       PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6
18    COM     4   18      13-
5    PD      3   5/10             5/10 PD (0/5 rPD)
5    ED      1   5/10             5/10 ED (0/5 rED)
5    SPD     17   5                 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
6    REC     0   6
40    END     1   40
25    STUN    0   25
6    RUN      0   6"/9"                END [1/2]
2    LEAP     0   2"                2" forward, 1" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 110[/b]

5     [b][i]Solar Heat[/i][/b]: Elemental Control, 10-point powers - END=
5     1)  [b][i]Fiery Aura[/i][/b]: Force Field (5 PD/5 ED) (10 Active Points) - END=1
5     2)  [b][i]Heated Airwalking[/i][/b]: Running +3" (6"/9" total), Usable As Flight (+1/4) (10 Active Points) [Notes: Modifier adds to base running.] - END=1
4     3)  [b][i]Stare Into the Sun[/i][/b]: Darkness to Sight Group 1" radius, Personal Immunity (+1/4) (12 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Not vs. Sight Flash Defense (-1/4) [Notes: Glows so brightly it's difficult to look at her.] - END=1
      - END=
60     [b][i]Solar Flame[/i][/b]: Variable Power Pool (Fire Powers), 40 base + 20 control cost, Powers Can Be Changed As A Half-Phase Action (+1/2) (70 Active Points); Fire Powers Only Common SFX (-1/2) [Notes: Mainly for attacks, but occasionally other powers. No mental, body-affecting, special, caution-sign, or stop-sign powers. No megascale.] - END=
0     1) [b][i]Flare I[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 8d6 (40 Active Points) Real Cost: 40 - END=4
0     2) [b][i]Flare II[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 6d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (37 Active Points) Real Cost: 37 - END=1
0     3) [b][i]Flaming Fist[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2 1/2d6 (3d6+1 w/STR) (40 Active Points) Real Cost: 40 - END=4
0     4) [b][i]Spontaneous Combustion[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Indirect (Originates at target location; +1/4), Penetrating (+1/2) (40 Active Points) Real Cost: 40 - END=1
0     5) [b][i]Fireworks[/i][/b]: Sight and Hearing Groups Flash 4d6, Explosion (+1/2) (37 Active Points) Real Cost: 37 - END=4
0     6) [b][i]Where There's Fire, There's Smoke[/i][/b]: Darkness to Sight Group 3" radius, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (37 Active Points) Real Cost: 37 - END=1
0     7) [b][i]Fiery Comet I[/i][/b]: Flight 20" (40 Active Points) Real Cost: 40 - END=4
0     8) [b][i]Fiery Comet II[/i][/b]: Flight 5", x16 Noncombat, Rapid Noncombat Movement (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (37 Active Points) Real Cost: 37 [Notes: 400"/turn (V-DCV 9), Accel 20"/phase.] - END=1
0     9) [b][i]Enhanced Fiery Aura[/i][/b]: Force Field (20 PD/20 ED) (40 Active Points) Real Cost: 40 - END=4
0     10) [b][i]Fire Immunity[/i][/b]: (Total: 39 Active Cost, 27 Real Cost) Force Field (25 ED), Hardened (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (37 Active Points); Only vs. Fire & Heat (-1/2) (Real Cost: 25) [b]plus[/b] Life Support  (Safe in Intense Heat) (Real Cost: 2) Real Cost: 27 - END=1
0     11) [b][i]Bank the Flames[/i][/b]: Dispel 10 1/2d6, any Fire power one at a time (+1/4) (39 Active Points) Real Cost: 39 - END=4
0     12) [b][i]Fan The Flames[/i][/b]: Aid 3d6, Can Add Maximum Of 22 Points, any Fire power one at a time (+1/4) (40 Active Points) Real Cost: 40 - END=0
0     13) [b][i]Feed on the Flames[/i][/b]: Aid  END 4d6 (40 Active Points); Only When Near Natural Fire (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2) Real Cost: 20 - END=0
0     14) [b][i]Updraft[/i][/b]: Aid 3d6, Can Add Maximum Of 22 Points, Flight, Gliding, or Leaping, one at a time (+1/4) (40 Active Points) Real Cost: 40 - END=0
0     15) [b][i]Heat Shield[/i][/b]: Life Support  (Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat), Usable Simultaneously (up to 16 people at once; +1 1/4) (9 Active Points) Real Cost: 9 - END=0
0     16) [b][i]Cautery/Soothing Warmth[/i][/b]: Healing BODY 1d6 (10 Active Points); Requires A Flame Tricks Roll  (-1/2) Real Cost: 7 [Notes: Effect minor repairs by restricting or increasing blood flow to injured tissue.] - END=1
6     [b][i]Solar Flare[/i][/b]: Energy Blast + 7d6 (35 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x10 END; -4), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) [Notes: Adds to Flare I (total 15d6)] - END=30

[b]POWERS Cost: 85[/b]

Everyman
0      1)  Climbing 8-
0      2)  Concealment 8-
0      3)  Conversation 8-
0      4)  Deduction 8-
0      5)  Language:  English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
0      6)  Paramedics 8-
0      7)  Persuasion 8-
0      8)  PS: Fashion Model 11-
0      9)  Shadowing 8-
0      10) TF:  Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
0      11) WF:  Clubs, Fist-Loads, Thrown Rocks, Unarmed Combat

3      Acting 13-
9      +3 with Solar Flame
3      High Society 13-
9      Power:  Flame Tricks 17-
3      Scholar
1      1)  KS: Arcane & Occult Lore (2 Active Points) 11-
1      2)  KS: Media & Celebrity World (2 Active Points) 11-
1      4)  KS: Mystic World (2 Active Points) 11-
1      5)  KS: Rogues Gallery (2 Active Points) 11-
10      +1 Overall
3      Stealth 14-
3      Teamwork 14-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 50[/b]

2      Reputation:  Former Premiere Heroine (A medium-sized group: Campaign City) 11-, +2/+2d6
3      Contact:  Alia Penumbra, Mysticism Expert (Contact has useful Skills or resources) 11-

[b]PERKS Cost: 5[/b]

20     Hunted:  Rogues Gallery 8- (Mo Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish) [Notes: Most of Solar Flare's enemies are still at full power.]
25     Hunted:  DEMON 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Media Darling (Very Common, Moderate) [Notes: Loves attention from the media and eagerly seeks it.]
10     Psychological Limitation:  Code vs. Killing (Common, Moderate) [Notes: Does not apply to formerly human supernatural creatures]
10     Psychological Limitation:  Fascinated with the Mystic World (Uncommon, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Overprotective (Very Common, Moderate) [Notes: Overmothering. Includes teammates as well as innocents.]
15     Reputation:  Washed-up Low-powered Heroine, 14-
15     Social Limitation:  Public ID (Frequently, Major)
15     Social Limitation:  Jerk / Stalker / Papparazi Magnet (Very Frequently, Minor)
10     Vulnerability:  2 x STUN Water-based Attacks (Uncommon)

Height: 1.70 m Hair: Dark Red

Weight: 50.00 kg Eyes: Emerald

Appearance: Solar Flare retains a measure of her formerly dazzling beauty, and these days she remains a handsome red-head with emerald eyes and a still-shapely body despite her 50-odd years. Out of costume, she wears designer clothes and expensive accoutrements as befits a professional fashion model (even if she is now modelling for the middle-aged market rather than the jet-setting under-30 crowd.) She makes a fair amount of money as a model, but burns it as rapidly as it comes in to maintain her high-profile lifestyle. When in costume, she wears a stylish red bodysuit with a burnt orange sundisk surrounded by flames.

Personality/History: Solar Flare is a middle-aged flame projector who used to be a premiere heroine about a year ago; however, her powers have been fading for some time -- ever since she hit menopause, in fact. She tried to keep this a secret for a while, but of course something like that can't remain a secret indefinitely, and these days she's found herself relegated to the small time. She has since come to accept her lack of power is almost certainly permanent and that it means she can't do as much as she used to, but she has a hard time dealing with the fact that the higher-power heroes constantly upstage her and the media treats her as a has-been. Her former teammates wish her well, but she can no longer run in their league. Solar Flare is now a mother searching for a new nest and with less ability to defend it, but still with a fashion model's desire for attention and to be seen to be doing good.

Solar Flare's powers are magical in nature, though she only discovered this late in her career (she'd previously thought she was a mutant.) Since then, she's developed a fascination with the mystic world and acquired a few contacts therein, though her knowledge of the arcane remains relatively superficial.

Quote: "No evil can withstand the penetrating fires of the sun for long!"

Powers/Tactics: Solar Flare is a flame projector with much less power than she once enjoyed. What she lacks in power, however, she makes up for in versatility. If it involves fire, odds are she can do it, providing she can match the sheer power level required for the effect. If she pushes herself, she can still emit a swath of flame approaching her old intensity levels, but such an effort is invariably exhausting. Solar Flare can tolerate immersion in water if she has time to prepare herself, but sudden water-based attacks generally cause her great discomfort.

Campaign Use: Blaster, in a campaign which focuses mainly on street level threats, with the occasional big bad to provide a higher grade of challenge.

Why is Shooting Star so moody? You might be too if you'd lost your powers...

[b]Shooting Star - Edward Trimble[/b]

15    STR     5   15      12-       HTH Damage 3d6  END [1]
26    DEX     48   26      14-       OCV 9 DCV 9
18    CON     16   18      13-
12    BODY    4   12      11-
18    INT     8   18      13-       PER Roll 13-
13    EGO     6   13      12-       ECV: 4
23    PRE     13   23      14-       PRE Attack: 4 1/2d6
10    COM     0   10      11-
6    PD      3   6/11             6/11 PD (0/5 rPD)
6    ED      2   6/11             6/11 ED (0/5 rED)
6    SPD     24   6                 Phases:  2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
7    REC     0   7
36    END     0   36
30    STUN    1   30
3    LEAP     0   3"                3" forward, 1 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 130[/b]

9     [b][i]Still Pretty Quick[/i][/b]: Armor (5 PD/5 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (19 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), Nonpersistent (-1/4), Must Be Aware Of Attack (-1/4) - END=0
      - END=
15     [b][i]Weapons & Gear[/i][/b]: Multipower, 31-point reserve,  (31 Active Points); all slots OAF Gear (-1) [Notes: All relatively low-tech gear.] - END=
1u     1)  [b][i]Fighting Sticks[/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF Gear (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) - END=0
1u     2)  [b][i]Line Gun[/i][/b]: Swinging 15" (15 Active Points); OAF Gear (-1) - END=1
1u     3)  [b][i]Gliding Cape[/i][/b]: Gliding 15" (15 Active Points); OAF Gear (-1) - END=0
1u     4)  [b][i]Throwing Sticks[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 5d6, 8 Recoverable Charges (+0), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) (31 Active Points); OAF Gear (-1) [Notes: 2H needed for autofire.] - END=[8 rc]
1u     5)  [b][i]Power Maul[/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), OAF Gear (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) [Notes: Short 2H power-club. 11d6 w/ Fast Strike.] - END=[4]
1u     6)  [b][i]Smoke Bombs[/i][/b]: Change Environment 4" radius, -6 to Sight Group PER Rolls, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0), Not vs. IR Perception (+0) (30 Active Points); OAF Gear (-1) [Notes: 2H needed to retrieve, arm, and throw.] - END=[6 cc]
      - END=
Goggles: List, all slots OAF Goggles (-1) - END=
2     1)  [b][i]Polarized Lenses[/i][/b]: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); OAF Goggles (-1) - END=0
2     2)  [b][i]IR Filter[/i][/b]: Infrared Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); OAF Goggles (-1) - END=0
1     3)  [b][i]Zoom Function[/i][/b]: +7 versus Range Modifier for Normal Sight (3 Active Points); OAF Goggles (-1) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 35[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     Jeet Kune Do / Speedster Art
3      1)  Basic Strike:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, 5d6 Strike
4      2)  Charge:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -2 DCV, 5d6 +v/5 Strike, FMove
5      3)  Flying Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
4      4)  Martial Escape:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 30 STR vs. Grabs
3      5)  Martial Throw:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 3d6 +v/5, Target Falls
1      Weapon Element:  Clubs, Unarmed

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 20[/b]

Everyman
0      1)  Acting 8-
0      2)  Climbing 8-
0      6)  Paramedics 8-
0      7)  PS: Private Investigator 11-
0      8)  Shadowing 8-
0      9)  TF:  Small Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles
0      10) WF:  Clubs, Fist-Loads, Thrown Rocks, Unarmed Combat

3      Acrobatics 14-
3      Breakfall 14-
3      Combat Driving 14-
9      +3 with Martial Maneuvers
3      Deduction 13-
3      Persuasion 14-
3      Scholar
1      1)  KS: Jeet Kune Do (2 Active Points) 11-
1      2)  KS: Martial Arts World (2 Active Points) 11-
3      Seduction 14-
10      +1 Overall
3      Sleight Of Hand 14-
3      Stealth 14-
3      Streetwise 14-
3      Tactics 13-
3      Teamwork 14-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 60[/b]

1      Money:  Well Off -- 100K per annum [Notes: Enough that he can live normally without a job.]
2      Reputation:  Premiere Hero (A large group: The USA) 11-, +1/+1d6 [Notes: Since Shooting Star dropped off the map relatively recently, most people don't yet realize he's lost most of his powers.]
2      Contact:  Dean Martin, CIA Handler (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact limited by identity: HID Only) 11-

10     Enraged:  Taunted About Power Loss (Uncommon), go 8-, recover 11-
15     Hunted:  Rogues Gallery 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)
10     Hunted:  Various Speedster Villains 8- (Mo Pow, Humiliate)
10     Hunted:  US Government Superagencies 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)
10     Psychological Limitation:  Obsessed with Recovering His Powers (Uncommon, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Bitter, Moody, & Sarcastic (Very Common, Moderate)
10     Psychological Limitation:  Superpatriot (Common, Moderate)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Protective of Innocents (Common, Strong)
5     Reputation:  Slowest Speedster In Town, 8- [Notes: Some people do know that he's lost his powers.]
10     Social Limitation:  Subject To Orders (Occasionally, Major) [Notes: Has a history with the government, which occasionally sends him on missions involving the martial world.]
15     Susceptibility:  DEX and SPD Drains, 3d6 damage Instant (Uncommon)
10     Vulnerability:  2 x Effect DEX and SPD drains (Uncommon)

Height: 1.85 m Hair: Brown

Weight: 85.00 kg Eyes: Brown

Appearance: In his secret ID, Shooting Star is a nondescript young man with an average build, brown hair, and brown eyes, who dresses in unremarkable casual clothing and, in general, doesn't merit a second glance and tends to fade into the background. In heroic ID, his costume is black with red trim and a red starburst logo over the left side of his chest, with a single red line trailing from it across the right side of his chest and around his back. He wears a black gliding cape, reversible to red on the inside surface.

Personality/History: Shooting Star was a flying speedster and a premiere hero. In order to stop a nefarious mastervillain plot to conquer the city by stripping everyone other than himself of power, Shooting Star stole the villain's Nullifier Bomb and sped away with it to a remote location. Unfortunately, while Shooting Star was able to stop the plot from succeeding, it was at the cost of most of his own powers when the bomb ultimately went off before he could escape the blast radius, leaving him with only a fraction of his former raw speed and reflexes. As far as anyone can tell, the depowering is permanent, though perhaps reversible. He is left with only his martial arts and detective skills to fall back on, plus whatever street-level gear he is able to make use of (not being a tech-savvy type.) This leaves him with the bitter feeling of having been cut down in his prime. Shooting Star disappeared suddenly and completely from the prime-time hero scene following his loss, and now spends much of his time on a quest for a means to reactivate those powers, though he still considers himself enough of a hero to lend his skills whenever he uncovers other plots along the way, or whenever his government calls on him for aid.

Quote: "I may not move as fast as I used to, but I can still catch you."

Powers/Tactics: Batman as a former speedster, but at a much lower tech base as he doesn't have nearly Bruce Wayne's resources. This doesn't mean he's entirely unable to get his hands on supertech, but what he does get tends to be low-powered and not very flashy. As a consequence of his exposure to the Nullifier Bomb, Shooting Star is now more vulnerable than ever to attacks which prey on the remnants of his superspeed. His strongest offensive weapon is his power maul, a short but heavy club endowed with a weak force-amplification field, but he typically reserves it for times when his fighting sticks are insufficient to the task as it has a limited charge.

Campaign Use: Detective and MA, in a campaign which focuses mainly on street level threats, with the occasional big bad to provide a higher grade of challenge.

And here's the last of them, Corona.

[b]Corona - Alice Freidmont[/b]

13    STR     3   13      12-       HTH Damage 2 1/2d6  END [1]
20    DEX     30   20      13-       OCV 7 DCV 7
18    CON     16   18      13-
9    BODY    -2   9      11-
23    INT     13   23      14-       PER Roll 14-
10    EGO     0   10      11-       ECV: 3
18    PRE     8   18      13-       PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6
12    COM     1   12      11-
4    PD      1   4/13             4/13 PD (0/9 rPD)
4    ED      0   4/13             4/13 ED (0/9 rED)
5    SPD     20   5                 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
7    REC     0   7
36    END     0   36
25    STUN    0   25
3    LEAP     0   2 1/2"/33 1/2"                2 1/2"/33 1/2" forward, 1"/16 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 90[/b]

15     [b][i]Jetpack[/i][/b]: Multipower, 31-point reserve,  (31 Active Points); all slots OIF Jetpack (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2) [Notes: Grabbing the jetpack interferes with its use.] - END=
1u     1)  [b][i]Combat Flight[/i][/b]: Flight 13", Position Shift, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Hour (+0) (31 Active Points); OIF Jetpack (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2) - END=[1 cc]
1u     2)  [b][i]Rapid Flight[/i][/b]: Flight 5", x16 Noncombat, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Hour (+0), Rapid Noncombat Movement (+1/4) (31 Active Points); OIF Jetpack (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2) [Notes: 400"/turn (V-DCV 9), Accel 20"/phase.] - END=[1 cc]
1u     3)  [b][i]Stealth Mode[/i][/b]: Flight 5", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects, SFX Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OIF Jetpack (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2) - END=0
1u     4)  [b][i]Rocket Jump[/i][/b]: Leaping +31" (2 1/2"/33 1/2" forward, 1"/16 1/2" upward), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Hour (+0) (31 Active Points); OIF Jetpack (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2) - END=
      - END=
16     [b][i]Refractor Field Belt[/i][/b]: Multipower, 20-point reserve,  (20 Active Points); all slots IIF (-1/4) [Notes: Does not appear unusual to casual observation. Also has a radio control link via Starfire wristbands.] - END=
1u     1)  [b][i]Energy Refractor Field[/i][/b]: Force Field (9 PD/9 ED), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Hour (+0) (18 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) - END=[1 cc]
1u     2)  [b][i]Light Refractor Field[/i][/b]: Invisibility to Sight Group , 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Hour (+0) (20 Active Points); Only When Not Attacking (-1/2), IIF (-1/4) - END=[1 cc]
1u     3)  [b][i]Refractive Isolation Field[/i][/b]: Life Support  (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Hour (+0) (19 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) [Notes: Green Lantern-style life support bubble.] - END=[1 cc]
1u     4)  [b][i]Overload Field[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Hour (+0), Penetrating (+1/2), Damage Shield (Offensive; +3/4), Continuous (+1) (16 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) - END=[1 cc]
      - END=
27     [b][i]Starfire Emitters[/i][/b]: Multipower, 40-point reserve,  (40 Active Points); all slots OIF Wristbands (-1/2) - END=
2u     1)  [b][i]Starfire Beam[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 8d6, 4 clips of 12 Charges (+0) (40 Active Points); OIF Wristbands (-1/2), Beam (-1/4) - END=[12]
2u     2)  [b][i]Starfury Blast[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 8d6, 8 clips of 5 Boostable Charges (+0) (40 Active Points); OIF Wristbands (-1/2), Must Boost Charges To Max (-1/4) [Notes: Each clip does 12d6 damage in one shot.] - END=[5 bc]
2u     3)  [b][i]Starburst[/i][/b]: Sight Group Flash 5d6, 4 clips of 12 Charges (+0), Explosion (+1/2) (37 Active Points); OIF Wristbands (-1/2) - END=[12]
2u     4)  [b][i]Grav Beam[/i][/b]: Telekinesis (25 STR) (38 Active Points); OIF Wristbands (-1/2), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 20 Minutes (-1/4) - END=[1 cc]
1u     5)  [b][i]Grav Compression Beam[/i][/b]: Density Increase (1,300 kg mass, +25 STR, +5 PD/ED, -5" KB), Usable By Other (+1/4), Limited Range: 30" (+1/4) (37 Active Points); Activation Roll 13-, Burnout (-1/2), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 5 Minutes (-1/2), OIF Wristbands (-1/2) - END=[1 cc]
5     [b][i]Starfury Overpower[/i][/b]: Energy Blast + 5d6 (25 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Activation Roll 13- (-3/4), OIF Wristbands (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) - END=[1]
      - END=

[b]POWERS Cost: 80[/b]

Everyman
0      1)  Acting 8-
0      2)  Climbing 8-
0      6)  Persuasion 8-
0      7)  PS: Physics Professor 11-
0      8)  Shadowing 8-
0      9)  TF:  Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
0      10) WF:  Clubs, Fist-Loads, Thrown Rocks, Unarmed Combat

3      Analyze:  Technology 14-
6      +2 with Starfire Emitters
3      Computer Programming 14-
3      Deduction 14-
3      Electronics 14-
3      Inventor 14-
3      Mechanics 14-
3      Navigation (Air, Land) 14-
3      Paramedics 14-
3      Scholar
1      1)  KS: Hi-Tech World (2 Active Points) 11- [Notes: Business, and Industry]
1      2)  KS: Metahuman World (2 Active Points) 11-
1      3)  KS: Rogues Gallery (2 Active Points) 11-
1      4)  KS: Scientific World (2 Active Points) 11- [Notes: Research and Education]
3      Scientist
1      1)  SS:  Chemistry 11- (2 Active Points)
1      2)  SS:  Engineering 11- (2 Active Points)
2      3)  SS:  High Energy Physics 14- (3 Active Points)
2      4)  SS:  Physics 14- (3 Active Points)
3      Security Systems 14-
10      +1 Overall
3      Stealth 13-
3      Systems Operation 14-
3      Teamwork 13-
2      WF:  Small Arms
3      Weaponsmith (Energy Weapons, Firearms) 14-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 75[/b]

2      Reputation:  Creator of the Corona Suit (A medium-sized group: Hi-Tech Community) 11-, +2/+2d6
3      Contact:  Corona II (Contact has useful Skills or resources) 11- [Notes: Corona II is her younger brother, who pilots the Corona battlesuit she developed. He is built on ~500 points and is both powerful and versatile. His primary attacks have an electrical SFX.]

15     Hunted:  Rogues Gallery 8- (Mo Pow, Capture) [Notes: Includes Corona II's enemies, who want his secrets.]
20     Hunted:  ARGENT 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Capture)
5     Hunted:  Various Creditors 8- (Less Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
5     Money:  Poor [Notes: Most of her earnings go to service her very large debt.]
15     Physical Limitation:  Slight and Willowy, +3" KB (All the Time, Slightly Impairing)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Protective of Innocents (Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Code vs. Killing (Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Desperate to Get Out of Debt (Very Common, Moderate) [Notes: Will do nearly anything (legal) for enough money.]
5     Reputation:  Bad Credit Risk, 11- (Known Only To A Small Group: Banks, Venture Capitalists & Other Lenders)
15     Rivalry:  Professional (Corona II; Rival is Significantly More Powerful; Seek to Outdo Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
10     Unluck: 2d6

Height: 1.55 m Hair: Pale Blonde

Weight: 40.00 kg Eyes: Ice Blue

Appearance: Corona is a short, slender blonde with a lean but athletic build. She typically wears a blue costume with white trim and a sunburst with stylized lightning bolts emanating from it as her logo. In her normal ID she has good fasion sense but can't afford to wear the kinds of clothing she would like to buy, and has to content herself with cheap knock-offs.

Personality/History: Two years ago, after several years of effort, Alice was nearly done developing a battlesuit of her own devising, which she dubbed Corona. The process of research and development had taken all the money she had had and could borrow, but she was proud of her achievement and confident of being able to recoup her investment. She took it for several trial runs and stopped some crime with it, but there were still some minor bugs that needed fixing and she didn't feel it was quite ready for regular use. Then her scientific dilettante of a brother Max 'borrowed' it without permission and started fighting crime in earnest. He did very well as a hero and quickly came to fit into the heroic lifestyle. It took Alice nearly two months to track him down, but when she finally did, he showed her news clippings showing what he'd done with the suit, and offered to return it to her, even though by then he'd learned enough about how it worked to maintain it himself and had even made a couple of improvements. In a moment of generosity, she gave it to him to keep when she realized that he was better at using it than she was. He is now a premiere hero while she's relegated to the sidelines, building what gadgets she can with whatever money she can get her hands on. She tries not to be jealous as her brother has really grown both as a hero and as a person since he started using the suit. Nevertheless, she sometimes finds it hard to bite her lip when the subject comes up, even if he does give her due credit and has taken the name Corona II in deference to her prior claim to the Corona name, as her brother has consistently outshone her at everything throughout his life, despite never seeming to have to work for it as she has had to. Plus, the fact that she's still waaay in debt, with no easy way to recoup her loss, doesn't help.

Quote: "One high energy photon barrage, coming up..."

Powers/Tactics: Corona tries to stay mobile with her flight pack and use her arsenal of Starfire attacks to take opponents down from the air. Sometimes she will employ her force belt's stealth field to execute a surprise attack, but generally in open combat she prefers to project a personal defensive shield. She saves her Starfury attacks and her Grav Compression Beam for especially tough opponents or dangerous situations, as she has reliability problems with them due to her inability to afford the high-quality components she needs to make them work properly.

Campaign Use: Gadgeteer, in a campaign which focuses mainly on street level threats, with the occasional big bad to provide a higher grade of challenge.