Power help - how would you do this?

Great Beyond

So I was playing with powers that my archer character could have (well, that her bow could have), and was thinking of something like an arrow with a big suction cup on the end kind of a "Hit the target and drag it back to you" attack.

The first way that springs to mind would be a stretching - and looking at the Metamorph book, a couple of examples back this up. But it seems that stretching would have all kinds of unintended benefits (like if it was a stretched arm, there'd be a hand at the end that could flip switches and otherwise manipulate things - which an arrow would most certainly not have).

On the other hand - Telekinesis might work too. Sadly I don't have my main rules book here, so I can't double check and make sure it would work for this intent. I guess the big drawback would be that its a mental thing and not a physical arrow thing (though there has to be a disad for that, I'd suspect. I've not bought the power before).

So I'll turn to you guys. If you were to do a bow and arrow "grab things far away" attack, how would you do it?

Re: Power help - how would you do this?

An expensive build for it would be Teleport, Usable on Others at Range, Must Travel Through Intervening Space, One Direction Only (toward attacker), Only Works On Targets With Smooth, Non-Porous Surfaces Facing Attacker.

Pretty much any UAO Movement power would work. But I would actually go with the TK. It's a lot simpler and more accurately represents what you are trying to do.

I SO have Bugs Bunny flashbacks with this one. What a fun power!

So it sounds like TK is the way to go. Easy, cheap and simple - just how I like it.

Since I dont have my book handy, I'll have to guess on the "only towards attacker" disad would be worth. What - probably -1/2 you think?

Well, the actual limitation is "Only to Pull Target Towards Attacker." That's REALLY limiting in my book. You can't push buttons, you can't push a guy off a cliff, you can't pick up a bus, you can't even use it to smack Seeker. I'd call it a -1. I'd also throw in some kind of restrainable possibly, for when someone cuts the rope on the plunger.

If you hit an agent with this arrow, chances are you have enough strength to yank the line, scream "get over here!" and it works as intended. In this instance, TK is fine.

But what if the agent is stronger then you think and tugs back? What if you hit a bus or a moving 747 with this arrow?

In both cases, you should be the one pulled in another direction. TK specifically can't do that because of the lack of the action/reaction component.Tk can only move things. It can never cause you to be moved.

I think limited stretching, bought through a focus is the correct way to go here.

THis is how I'd do it:

7 Stretching 5", 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 20 Minutes (+0) (25 Active Points); OAF (Funky Arrow; -1), Only To Grab On (Can't strike, bind, etc) (-½), Always Direct (-¼), Limited Body Parts (-¼), no Noncombat Stretching (-¼), No Velocity Damage (-¼), Range Modifier Applies (-¼) [1 rc]

4 Clinging (normal STR), 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 20 Minutes (+0) (10 Active Points); OAF (Funky Arrow; -1), Linked (Stretching; -½) [1 rc]

11 total real points gets you one stretchy grabby arrow.

If you hit an agent with this arrow, chances are you have enough strength to yank the line, scream "get over here!" and it works as intended. In this instance, TK is fine.

But what if the agent is stronger then you think and tugs back? What if you hit a bus or a moving 747 with this arrow?

In both cases, you should be the one pulled in another direction. TK specifically can't do that because of the lack of the action/reaction component.Tk can only move things. It can never cause you to be moved.

I think limited stretching, bought through a focus is the correct way to go here.

Hmm. I can see that. My first thought was "Duh! Let go of the rope!" But then I thought some more and saw that maybe you WANT to get pulled along. Shoot the bottom of that chopper and hitch a ride!

Yeah, stretching is probably the way to go. I was strictly answering the question and not considering any other tactics/possibilities.

Pretty much any UAO Movement power would work. But I would actually go with the TK. It's a lot simpler and more accurately represents what you are trying to do.

I SO have Bugs Bunny flashbacks with this one. What a fun power!

I do not have my copy of the rules by my side, but I was under the impression that you cannot use Usable Against Others/Usable as an Attack on a power if the net result would be to simulate another power.

So no "Flight Usable as Attack" because that's simply telekinesis.

Can someone with greater Hero-Fu confirm or deny my belief?