Is "Way Station" a suitable addition for a superhero campaign?

Mark Rand

Re: Is "Way Station" a suitable addition for a superhero campaign?

A few things to throw in.

The Earth way station was established around 1865. (Enoch is a Civil War veteran.)

Enoch's bosses do their best to keep the station from being noticed on low-tech planets.

Enoch subscribes to many magazines and newspapers. One paper, that Enoch's supervisor delivers to Galactic Central claims that it "Covers Dixie Like Dew".

• 1 year later...

Since the campaign, a Dark Champions one, will be in Gotham City, I'm moving the station to rural New Jersey, at least 100-miles from Gotham.

Very few people in the federal government know about the existence of the station. Possibly the only ones who know are high-level agents within the DHS (or DOSPA).

The DHS (or DOSPA) managed Enoch's bosses to let them assign a liaison to the station. Said liaison would have to follow the same rules and regulations Enoch does.

I seem to recall an episode of a show on SciFi channel (Ray Bradbury Presents?) with something similar to this type of transfer, but the life force and intellect don't leave the original, they're just "created" at the other end along with the body. Once a "good receive" signal is sent from the receiving end, the original is vaporized automatically.

Due to a communications problem, a woman is sent but they don't immediately get the "good receive" signal, so they hold off on vaporizing the original. (Maybe the receiver wasn't working properly, or the signal was blocked by interference of some sort, don't remember.) The technician chats with the woman, they become friends, and when they finally get the "good receive" signal, he can't bring himself to vaporize her.

If the life force and intellect dont leave the original, and a copy is sent to the other end, by using that system youre committing suicide. Someone who -thinks- theyre you will appear at the other end, but for you, the lights go out. Game over.

Working for such a company makes you a serial killer.

Id never EVER use such a system, and would campaign for its destruction of I were in a world where it existed. Youd have to be (a) misinformed on a Brobdignagian scale, or (B) an idiot to use that "transport" system.

I seem to recall an episode of a show on SciFi channel (Ray Bradbury Presents?) with something similar to this type of transfer, but the life force and intellect don't leave the original, they're just "created" at the other end along with the body. Once a "good receive" signal is sent from the receiving end, the original is vaporized automatically.

Due to a communications problem, a woman is sent but they don't immediately get the "good receive" signal, so they hold off on vaporizing the original. (Maybe the receiver wasn't working properly, or the signal was blocked by interference of some sort, don't remember.) The technician chats with the woman, they become friends, and when they finally get the "good receive" signal, he can't bring himself to vaporize her.

I believe that that was an episode of the new version of "The Outer Limits"....

and if I recall, the technology was introduced by an alien species of humanoid

dinosaurs who were engaged in a 'cultural exchange' with Earth. So that the

woman was supposed to 'swap places' with the dinosauroid who came to Earth...And

to keep the ecological balance that the dinos required, the 'originals' had to be vaporized

on both sides (a one for one swap). The

episdoe title was (I think :think: ) "Think Like A Dinosaur"...or something similar.

-Carl-

Clifford D. Simak wrote the book Way Station in 1963. It concerns the Earth way station on an intragalectic transport system.

Allon Mureinik did a wonderful writeup for it, which is on Mike Surbrook's site.

Well, I've given Surbrook's site a quick glance and couldn't find it. Could you please provide a link? Thanks.

Steve

Well, I've given Surbrook's site a quick glance and couldn't find it. Could you please provide a link? Thanks.

Steve

On his site, select the character archive, then book-derived characters. Enoch's sheet is near the bottom of the page.

• 11 months later...
Guest steamteck

If the life force and intellect dont leave the original, and a copy is sent to the other end, by using that system youre committing suicide. Someone who -thinks- theyre you will appear at the other end, but for you, the lights go out. Game over.

Working for such a company makes you a serial killer.

Id never EVER use such a system, and would campaign for its destruction of I were in a world where it existed. Youd have to be (a) misinformed on a Brobdignagian scale, or (B) an idiot to use that "transport" system.

Yeah, I'm sure my players would have the same opinion as do I.

• 5 weeks later...

In the Bay City' date=' California campaign I hope to eventually run, the station would probably be in Trinity County (population 13,002).[/quote']

As an addition to this, in a campaign set in Pittsburgh, the station would probably be somewhere in the Laurel Highlands, which cover Fayette, Somerset, and Westmoreland Counties.