Is "Way Station" a suitable addition for a superhero campaign?

Mark Rand

Clifford D. Simak wrote the book Way Station in 1963. It concerns the Earth way station on an intragalectic transport system.

Allon Mureinik did a wonderful writeup for it, which is on Mike Surbrook's site.

What I'd like to know is this. Would such a station/system fit into a game set in a superhero universe?

Re: Is "Way Station" a suitable addition for a superhero campaign?

First off - anything can fit in a superhero universe. High-tech armor guys hang out with mystic masters, ninja warriors, and out-of-work pagan dieties to defend the world against extra-dimensional reptoids and crazed, Eastern European super-dictators. Where ya gonna draw the line?

But, more to the point, an alien way station would certainly be a useful additon to a superhero campaign. The thing's a freakin' plotline bonanza! I can think of a half-dozen adventure seeds just sitting here, from "Cosmic Powered Alien Lunatic Comes Through to Bust Stuff Up" all the way to "Aforementioned Dictator Tries to Take It Over for His Own Evil Purposes."

Go for it.

First off - anything can fit in a superhero universe. High-tech armor guys hang out with mystic masters, ninja warriors, and out-of-work pagan dieties to defend the world against extra-dimensional reptoids and crazed, Eastern European super-dictators. Where ya gonna draw the line?

But, more to the point, an alien way station would certainly be a useful additon to a superhero campaign. The thing's a freakin' plotline bonanza! I can think of a half-dozen adventure seeds just sitting here, from "Cosmic Powered Alien Lunatic Comes Through to Bust Stuff Up" all the way to "Aforementioned Dictator Tries to Take It Over for His Own Evil Purposes."

Go for it.

Thought so. Just wanted to be sure.

In the book, there are two kinds of stations, main ones, where people travel to and from, and way stations, or rest stops.

The story takes place in and around Station 18327, a way station near Millville, a village in southwestern Wisconson. Under the rules, since Earth is not part of the Galactic Community, aliens, unless accompanied by Stationmaster Enoch Wallace, aren't allowed out of the station.

The people arrive and depart by materializer. The system copies what is being sent and transmits that to the next station. If a lifeform is being sent, the intellect and life force go from the transmitting station to the receiving one and the remains are destroyed by strong acids.

Some beings have special life support needs. Each station has liquid tanks and various life support solutions.

Through chance, a CIA agent was told about this. (The book was written in the 1960s.) I suspect that, in this era, Homeland Security would be the agency in the know.

In a story set in our era, the communications system would be different, but Enoch would still keep writing his journals and other official records.

Come to think of it, the station's collection of gifts that were given to Enoch might also generate a few plots.

i'd probably ditch the disoluton of the body part, its a whole metaphysical can of worms best avoided in a super hero world.

I would go with a worm hole or something where you have continuity of the body/mind/spirit.

You're right, but it's in the book and I'm trying to stay as close to it as possible.

You're right' date=' but it's in the book and I'm trying to stay as close to it as possible.[/quote']

Yeah, besides being a cool image, it also opens up a host of plot possibilities. It measn there's this civilsation (or group of civilisations), somewhere that has mental transfer technology (plus anti-aging technology). Every master villain worth his salt is going to want it (if, unlike Mechanon, they don't already have it). Unfortunately, it's inside a waystation protected by ubertech, so they'll have to trick their way inside, or snatch the keeper while he's outside.

It also allows you to send the players to exotic desitinations, without worrying what they will bring back with them. There are other possibilities. It sounds like a great idea.

cheers, Mark

You're right' date=' but it's in the book and I'm trying to stay as close to it as possible.[/quote']

Yeah, besides being a cool image, it also opens up a host of plot possibilities. It means there's this civilsation (or group of civilisations), somewhere that has mental transfer technology (plus anti-aging technology). Every master villain worth his salt is going to want it (if, unlike Mechanon, they don't already have it). Unfortunately, it's inside a waystation protected by ubertech, so they'll have to trick their way inside, or snatch the keeper while he's outside.

It also allows you to send the players to exotic destinations, without worrying what they will bring back with them. There are other possibilities. It sounds like a great idea.

cheers, Mark

• 1 month later...

Yeah, besides being a cool image, it also opens up a host of plot possibilities. It means there's this civilsation (or group of civilisations), somewhere that has mental transfer technology (plus anti-aging technology). Every master villain worth his salt is going to want it (if, unlike Mechanon, they don't already have it). Unfortunately, it's inside a waystation protected by ubertech, so they'll have to trick their way inside, or snatch the keeper while he's outside.

It also allows you to send the players to exotic destinations, without worrying what they will bring back with them. There are other possibilities. It sounds like a great idea.

cheers, Mark

It's not an anti-aging technique. Your body's appearance doesn't change.

I seem to recall an episode of a show on SciFi channel (Ray Bradbury Presents?) with something similar to this type of transfer, but the life force and intellect don't leave the original, they're just "created" at the other end along with the body. Once a "good receive" signal is sent from the receiving end, the original is vaporized automatically.

Due to a communications problem, a woman is sent but they don't immediately get the "good receive" signal, so they hold off on vaporizing the original. (Maybe the receiver wasn't working properly, or the signal was blocked by interference of some sort, don't remember.) The technician chats with the woman, they become friends, and when they finally get the "good receive" signal, he can't bring himself to vaporize her.

It's not an anti-aging technique. Your body's appearance doesn't change.

No, but Enoch Wallace doesn't age while he is within his cabin (which is the physical bounds of the station). He's about 130 and looks 40.

Oh, and BoloOfEarth, it was a new Outer Limits episode. Good one, too.

No, but Enoch Wallace doesn't age while he is within his cabin (which is the physical bounds of the station). He's about 130 and looks 40.

Oh, and BoloOfEarth, it was a new Outer Limits episode. Good one, too.

I forgot that Enoch doesn't age while within the station.

Threre are three things I forgot to decide about this.

One, who in the federal government knows about the Way Station?

Two, what agency in the government in the federal government, if anyone, monitors it?

Three, what heroes or superhero groups, if any, know about it?

Top 10 had something similar, but it was an interdimensional device, rather than interstellar; the police force that made up Top 10 was part of the interdemensional equivalent of Interpool, all based out of different versions of the same city. Of course, the city/universe of Top 10 had EVERYONE with a superpower, so the interdimensional/interstellar part of things was just part of the public transit system....

One of the story arcs consisted of the bad-a$$ detective (S-MAX) going back to his home dimension to visit his family, and his partner (Toybox) finding out that his superpowers come from the fact that he's a half-troll Hero, and incidentally the interdimensional version of a hick.

It would definitely solve at least one dilemma I've had regarding Earth - if it's a galactic backwater, why are all these aliens always popping up?!?

I'll have to add Way Station to my collection of Clifford D. Simak books; it sounds like a winner. I'll recommend The Goblin Reservation (professor on future earth hunts a dragon, but is accidentally duplicated by the transporter beam - hijinks ensue) and Enchanted Pilgrimmage (student flees the Inquisition into the lands of Monsters, seeking the Old Ones of legend), but only because those are the two I've read most recently.

It would definitely solve at least one dilemma I've had regarding Earth - if it's a galactic backwater' date=' why are all these aliens always popping up?!?.[/quote']

Got to agree with you there. Of course, since it's a way station, which means that passangers aren't allowed to leave the building without the stationmaster's permission, most people wouldn't know too much about it.

Got to agree with you there. Of course' date=' since it's a way station, which means that passangers aren't allowed to leave the building without the stationmaster's permission, most people wouldn't know too much about it.[/quote']

Well, there's always ways around that. You could replace the stationmaster with a corrupt individual. You could have a Galaxy rife with Byzantine political maneuvering, with different aliens trying to use the same loophole in the defenses they all coincidentally found. You could also loosen up the conception of the station itself a bit - if it's really that old, maybe the automated defenses are starting to wear down.

Plus, there's always the aftermath to superheroic battles to consider. If they don't know it's there, and Powerhouse accidentally brings the walls down, well, that could be bad for lots of people, depending on who's visiting the Station at the time...

Well, there's always ways around that. You could replace the stationmaster with a corrupt individual. You could have a Galaxy rife with Byzantine political maneuvering, with different aliens trying to use the same loophole in the defenses they all coincidentally found. You could also loosen up the conception of the station itself a bit - if it's really that old, maybe the automated defenses are starting to wear down.

Plus, there's always the aftermath to superheroic battles to consider. If they don't know it's there, and Powerhouse accidentally brings the walls down, well, that could be bad for lots of people, depending on who's visiting the Station at the time...

Good points. Of course, if it's in the middle of nowhere, it won't be affected my superheroic battles. But then, if it was moved to a major city, that would be different.

Good points. Of course' date=' if it's in the middle of nowhere, it won't be affected my superheroic battles. But then, if it was moved to a major city, that would be different.[/quote']

One idea might be that it used to be in the middle of nowhere.

Considering how tourist attractions can grow up around areas where basically nothing is happening (See the Amazing Whistling Rock!) even the most infrequent viewing of any sort of extraterrestrial, especially in the past, could have caused this to build into another 'Area 51' attraction for UFO geeks, etc.

(I am assuming that nobody has any idea what is really going on, just that if someone, somewhere, even thought they saw something near the Station, that people would start spreading wild rumors and a 'tourist attraction' for the tinfoil helmet crowd could take shape.)

An interesting twist could be this:

Those who built the station do not want any sort of public knowledge of its existence.

They also do not see the need to become involved in 'local affairs'.

So, after careful scanning for the right type, they contact someone (government? local law enforcement? whatever) and let them know that there is something there, and that if it is discovered the Way Station will have to be destroyed.

Unfortunately, destruction of a Way Station usually causes a small dimensional rift that obliterates any nearby planets.

So, there is someone, or a small group, that will do almost anything to keep the existence of the station a secret.

Of course, if they do anything too overt, (like making anyone 'disappear') that would just add to the 'mystery' and draw more people to the site.

KA.