Let's build Chicago 5E

Hermit

Originally posted by Hermit

Alas, despite the fact I've heard nothing but good about the product... I don't have San Angelo myself. Embarrasing, but true.

They offer a free PDF of a San Angelo suburb that is essentially organized the same way as the book. That is all you would need for an "organizing principle" for writing up Chicago as a campaign city.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

This could work in your favor; now that Gold Rush Games has the San Angelo setting back in their control, they're planning to release a bunch of SA material starting later this year, including an update of the San Angelo city setting to 5E. Should be a good way to get in on the ground floor.

Cool!

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Organizations in Chicago

Originally posted by Hermit

Since VIPER in Chicago is going to be covered, I thought I'd carry on with a few other organizations as they might work in Chicago.

Tell me what you think.

ARGENT: Currently, ARGENT sees the Chicago situation as ideal for its own purposes. Using VIPER as a large green lightning rod, its own activities go relatively unnoticed: Chief among those activies are R&D and the selling of high tech equipment to various buyers. As crowded as Chicago is with super heroes, the city itself is seen as one large testing ground. ARGENT happily helps outfit any super villain that asks (and can pay) then watches the "practicial applications" of their attempts. ARGENT also takes advantage of the city's many fine universities for recruitment. Indeed, more than one college in Chicago has an ARGENT mole as a dean.

IHA: Chicago is currently the victim of a heavy marketting campaign. IHA spins to the audiance of the Windy City with surprising expertise. To the "blue collar" masses, the IHA sends out warnings of mutants and superhumans taking jobs from the "Average Joe" in a deliberate attempt to drive hard working normal people to 3rd tier citizens. On the other hand, at least one medical expert, Dr. William Danner, does the IHA's work among the scientific circles. Danner has proposed a theory that when two competing species must suddenly coexist, the newer one will have instinctive aggression towards the predecessor and its first subconscious priority will be to supplant and wipe them out. This two pronged marketting move is having a subtle effect. Only time will tell how much.

I like it, though the IHA thing is going to make life interesting for a "background color" NPC I had in mind... he's a dockworker and a good union man whose specially licensed to act as heavy equipment. I'm thinking a hardhat with a 35 strength and absolutely no other powers, who works as a forklift.

Re: Re: Organizations in Chicago

Originally posted by Worldmaker

I like it, though the IHA thing is going to make life interesting for a "background color" NPC I had in mind... he's a dockworker and a good union man whose specially licensed to act as heavy equipment. I'm thinking a hardhat with a 35 strength and absolutely no other powers, who works as a forklift.

It's a splendid opportunity to use him. I've considered similar ideas myself.

Unfortunately, in the real world, there has been a long history of racially exclusive unionism. There has also been a long history of struggles against this. This could be a very rich vein of inspiration to draw from, particularly if your players have at least a mild intellectual streak and are interested in anything beyond hitting bad guys.

An example: the incumbent union leadership are stereotypical corrupt labor racketeer types. They will not lift a finger to defend their metahuman/mutant members. If a challenge to their control of the union arises, they are likely to ally with the IHA...

I should point out that I am not a fan of the stereotype I mentioned above, but it works for generating the odd scenario.

Of course, you realise that the "pro-mutie" challengers are likely to be... Commies!

Yes, you have just added Commie Mutant Traitors to your campaign.

Have a Nice Day, Citizen.

Alan