Arcane

Weylan

I'm exploring having a power similar to the World of Darkness background "Arcane":

"A mystick with a high Arcane may simply "slide away" from view and memory or appear to ordinary to notice. This ability is not invisibility per se and does not conceal a sorceror during combat. If someonw searches for the mage, however, they'll find it a frustrating experience. Somehow, things just happen to cover their quarry's tracks: cameras malfunction, sources disagree, and clues the investigator just knew were in that file no longer exist. "

Anybody have an ideas?

Re: Arcane

IIRC we've had discussions of this before, but I don't have the time right now to dig up the threads. Perhaps I'll try again later.

My preferred method is to buy the Perquisite, "Anonymity," at a very high level. It exists to keep a character out of official records, so I think a GM can make allowances to extend it to cover all the described effects.

The basic Anonymity Perk costs 3 points, but its description notes that it may cost more depending on how high-profile the character's actions are. Among official Perks, being a Head of State costs 10 points (although noted to probably cost more for a leader of a major nation), and being a multi-billionaire costs 15 points. On that basis I'd say that 15 points worth of Anonymity would allow for what Weylan is describing. OTOH normal Anonymity can be reduced or negated by character actions that result in official documentation, so if you're more of a rules stickler you might insist that the character periodically "renew" it with more Character Points.

Alternatively, I would suggest buying Invisibility to an entire Targeting Sense Group, and define that as working against any attempt to record the character's presence and actions, regardless of what Sense is used or whether the recording medium is mechanical or a person's memory. In other words the character is perfectly noticeable in the present, but "invisible" to any attempt to find evidence of him after the fact. There would be no Limitation on this effect because you're essentially defining a special Sense Group, "Recording Senses." You can leave the "fringe" for Invisibilty to represent evidence/memory that something happened, but no useful details can be discerned.

Re: Arcane

Alternatively' date=' I would suggest buying Invisibility to an entire Targeting Sense Group, and define that as working against any attempt to record the character's presence and actions, regardless of what Sense is used or whether the recording medium is mechanical or a person's memory. In other words the character is perfectly noticeable in the present, but "invisible" to any attempt to find evidence of him after the fact. There would be no Limitation on this effect because you're essentially defining a special Sense Group, "Recording Senses." You can leave the "fringe" for Invisibilty to represent evidence/memory that [i']something[/i] happened, but no useful details can be discerned.
Personally, this Invisibility option seems like the most elegant solution to me.

- Vassoom