A couple of flying manuver/power questions for you guys

Great Beyond

Thing one:

So GB is a helluva fast flyer, but not exceptionaly strong (sporting about a 13 STR or thereabouts). What I would love for her to do is to be able to catch falling planes, bits of building and other Superman-ish things. The easy way would of course pump her base strength up, but I dont see her as a muscle-man type. So, what would you guys recommend instead?

Thing two:

Along that same lines, poor old GB is always getting called on to fly by something really fast (for example, a sacrifice vicitim in the middle of a big room surrounded by bad guys, we'll say) snatch said object without stopping and blow past getting the MacGuffin out of harms way. Would buying a martial manver - something like "Fly By grabbing" - be the best way to do this, or perhaps just buying a couple of levels in a "Grab things as you fly past" DEX skill?

Re: A couple of flying manuver/power questions for you guys

Suggestion One: Maybe put Useable By Other Simultaneously on her Flight? You'll probably need GM permission, and I'm not sure what the weight limit on an "Other" might be, if it's addressed at all.

Suggestion Two: I don't have my book handy to look up the Grab stuff, sorry.

Problem 2: Grab By is already a maneuver, so I'd just buy a bundle of levels with that. :D

Problem 1: Either use Transmetahuman's suggestion, or buy up extra STR, "only usable with velocity-STR boost" (-1 or so, I'd say), "only usable for lifting capacity" (another -1, easy.)

Problem 2: Grab By is already a maneuver, so I'd just buy a bundle of levels with that. :D

Problem 1: Either use Transmetahuman's suggestion, or buy up extra STR, "only usable with velocity-STR boost" (-1 or so, I'd say), "only usable for lifting capacity" (another -1, easy.)

Yep, hit the nail on the head.

The first problem is just a limited form of STR. There are also rules (FREd, p 238 - "Strength and Movement") about how to increase lifting STR with velocity (2" = 1 STR). So you could:

- Convert some Flight for each individual lifting (eg she sees a falling car and guesses [iNT Roll] it at about 2000 kg so converts 40" of Flight to an additional 20 STR to be able to life the weight).

- Purchase additional Flight and limit it to "Only to Increase Lifting STR while Flying" and then do the above. Kind of a roundabout method, but as true to form as you can get.

- Cut out the middle man and just purchase additional STR and call it "Velocity" and limit it to "Increase Lifting STR Only" and Linked to Flight.

Personally I would go with either option 1 or 3. 1 is free, but it's very possible you don't have enough available Flight to get as much STR as you want. In that case go with #3.

There is a martial maneuver, Flying Grab (+20 STR, Full Move) that does almost exactly this. It's got a couple of negative OCV/DCV Mods, but you could always buy some PSLs to get around this. In the same vein, you could just use a Grab By Maneuver (free, -3 OCV, -4 DCV, allows optional velocity to STR conversion as above) and purchase enough PSLs or Extra STR (as above) to get it where you want.

Personally I would go with either option 1 or 3. 1 is free' date=' but it's very possible you don't have enough available Flight to get as much STR as you want. In that case go with #3.[/quote']

Sounds like three is the way to go. GB is sporting 32" of flight (plus a bunch of non combat multipilers - but I dont figure they count for this. Non combat lifting indeed), so with her 13 STR, 30" of flight turning into another 15 STR (Figure I have to hold over some inches of flight into movement, or I'll be falling not flying), I only really need to pick up 10 or 15 STR to get in the ball park of catching falling cars and space shuttles. Sounds like that's the way to go.

I'll have to bounce it off the GM's of course, but what do you figure is a good disadvantage number for "Only for increasing lifting STR" would be? -1/2? Dare I dream for a whole -1?

There is a martial maneuver, Flying Grab (+20 STR, Full Move) that does almost exactly this. It's got a couple of negative OCV/DCV Mods, but you could always buy some PSLs to get around this. In the same vein, you could just use a Grab By Maneuver (free, -3 OCV, -4 DCV, allows optional velocity to STR conversion as above) and purchase enough PSLs or Extra STR (as above) to get it where you want.

I was looking through the rules, but didnt see that one in there - but that's perfect. (***EDIT*** I did find it later in the Hero Designer, tucked away under the manuvers. Serves me right for not going digital. :) ).

So - PSL. Presumably the SL is skill level, but the P part? Sorry, I'm JUST dangerous enough with the rules to still get thrown by the occasional acronym.

I'd buy extra STR, Does Not Add To Figured CHaracteristics (-1/2), Linked to Flight (Full Speed Only, -1/2). Cheap, does what you want, and adds to move by and move through as well. Drop another -1/2 if it Can't Cause Damage.

For the grab, buy her Speedster Martial Arts with Flying Grab, Flying Dodge, and whatever other maneuvers you want, plus a few 3 point levels.

I could be wrong' date=' but I don't think you can take PSL to reduce the penalty on a Combat Maneuver.[/quote']

Sure ya can!! :) Penalty Skill Levels (PSLs) are designed to offset a negative penalty with a combat maneuver.

Actually, it's not uncommon at all. You regularly see people with +3 PSLs for Hit Locations, +3 PSLs to offset OCV Mods on Move Throughs etc. Granted, there isn't a whole lot of difference between +3 PSLs for OCV Mods on Move Throughs and +3 CSLs with Move Throughs. The thing about a CSL is that its always usable. If you are doing a MoveThru and only have a -2 penalty, that +3 PSL is only going to offset -2, that other +1 is unusable.

Well, Hero Designer only has Hit Location, Range, Armor and Throwing modifiers listed under the PSL entry - and of course I forgot my book at home today.

Still, I'll take your word. It sounds like a fit to me. (Of course now I'm about 10 points over - so I wont get these cool things for a couple of weeks. :) )

What I would love for her to do is to be able to catch falling planes' date=' bits of building and other Superman-ish things.[/quote']

This could get complex if your GM wanted to be realistic; first, you have to match velocities with the object (how good is her acceleration?), unless you want to take the damage from relative velocities.

Flying up against a falling object from the sky is good if you want to punch a hole through it and fly out the other side; in other words, good for repelling invaders, not so good for stopping damage to what's below. The structural integrity of whatever it is that's falling might be sufficient to resist the initial impact, though. If not, you then have some tiny pieces (that have broken off) to worry about in addition to the main building/plane.

Well, the need hasnt come up yet while I was playing (just once, when I was GMing and GB was hanging around helping out on a disaster - so it was purely for dramatic purposes only), but I dont think we'll be to strict with the "What would happen in reality" - beyond complications like accidently pulling off a wing, making things even worse (because making things worse is always more fun when you finally sort it out in the end).

So that probably wont be a concern. *crosses fingers*

In the game I am in we have a C that has a special TK boost that only helps negate weight and effect's whole object, it's under the GM's control as the C has no idea he can do this. He is the team brick and the lifting ability allows him to truely do the impossiable when he lifts things.

So you might want to give GB a power like that.

Sure ya can!! :) Penalty Skill Levels (PSLs) are designed to offset a negative penalty with a combat maneuver.

Actually, it's not uncommon at all. You regularly see people with +3 PSLs for Hit Locations, +3 PSLs to offset OCV Mods on Move Throughs etc. Granted, there isn't a whole lot of difference between +3 PSLs for OCV Mods on Move Throughs and +3 CSLs with Move Throughs. The thing about a CSL is that its always usable. If you are doing a MoveThru and only have a -2 penalty, that +3 PSL is only going to offset -2, that other +1 is unusable.

I'm pretty sure PSLs cannot be used to offset the OCV penalty of combat maneuvers. The rule even uses Grab-By as an example. My apologies Rapier if I am reading this wrong.

From H5ER Page 66, starting on line 22 under Penalty Skill Levels...

Nor can he buy Penalty Skill Levels to counteract the standard OCV penalty imposed by a combat maneuver (such as the -3 OCV for a Grab-By) or to counteract the Unfamiliar Weapon penalty.

I'm pretty sure PSLs cannot be used to offset the OCV penalty of combat maneuvers. The rule even uses Grab-By as an example. My apologies Rapier if I am reading this wrong.

From H5ER Page 66, starting on line 22 under Penalty Skill Levels...

Hmm. Shrug. I don't have R so I'll buy that. I could still probably be easily convinced to allow it in my game.