I R confused

Once again Boll Weevil calls upon the collective mind of the Hero Boards to answer a 1st edition power question. Sigh.

OK, Let's say I buy IR vision. Can I see normally too? If my vision sees variations in temperature, how can I pick the blue pill? Can I quantify a surface temperature by sight ("Most of the wall is room temp, but there is a small square of warmer temp")? Can I see Firewing through walls? Blue Thunder and Robocop could.

I guess I want to know what someone with IR vision "sees". Different temp=different color like IR cameras? How do I describe to a player with IR what he sees? Help me Herodome Assembled. You're my only hope.

When someone picks IR or other types of vision, they are 'in addition' to their existing vision. So they can see the blue pill just fine. If they are in complete darkness, then I would say that they can see the pill but don't know what color it is.

Although not 100% correct, I usually have IR vision be able to see differences in heat patterns but the shapes are slightly blurred and not easily recognizable. UV you can see the shapes easily but not any heat differences.

Note, however, that according to the rules, adding another type of sense to an pre-existing sense that is discriminatory means that those additions are also discriminatory - so with IR vision, you can see the blue pill - even in darkness.

At least that is what my 'rules lawyer' player says. ;)

In game terms I think MarcusDark is correct.

But true IR is black and white only. Generally hot items are white and cold items are black, however it can be switched around. You can not see color. And there is generally a problem with reading. Because the temperature difference between the ink and the paper it is on is too small so all the letters are blurry. And you can not watch TV or read a computer monitor. However you would have no problem waking/running around in total darkness, you would see all the walls and even that cliff in front of you. In some ways it is even easier to see in IR that it is to see normally.

As far as seeing thought wall, yes but it’s very limited. Generally you could see the studs in the walls and make out the vents in the ceiling. However you can only see some one in the next room if they are leaning up against the wall. And in game terms you would have to have N-Ray vision to do it.

If you have any other questions let me know. I build Night Vision Cameras for aircraft for a living.

Demonsong

Basically what I do with IR vision is go ahead and by the Discriminatory adder to it as well (technically, you don't need to as Markus said).

I do this for a few reasons. The way I envision normal IR is as mentioned. You can see things well enough to identify them (IE: That's a desk, that's a person, etc). When you add the Discriminatory, that is when IR vision becomes Thermographic Vision and you can now tell distinct and exact (although not as much as analyze) information about something (Now you can tell the difference between Larry. Moe, and Curly because of the heat differentials. And you can also identify things on a desk because of the minute differences in heat). I still don't allow reading or other fine details with either IR or Thermographic. But that's just me.

Hope this made sense and just wasn't a bunch of rambling.