Could you be a spy?

Chimpira

8 people try to find out if they have what it takes to become a spy in this series from BBC Three.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/spy/

I just got my hands on the series and viewed the first episode. I like it. It is interesting to see how ordinary people romanticize the spy trade.Then they get dragged out of their beds and sent through about 8 hours of interrogation.

Sorry, if this has already been posted.

Re: Could you be a spy?

As reality TV goes' date=' that might not be such a bad idea. On the other hand, [i']I hate reality TV.[/i]
Well, there's reality TV, and there's reality TV. The phrase covers everything from the cinema verite of Cops to popularity contests like Big Brother.

Personally I like reality-competition shows where progress is measured by the contestant's actual performance rather than the audience's or other players' decisions -- The Amazing Race, for example, and to a lesser extent Who Wants To Be A Superhero? I can't tell whether this is a reality-competition or a pure-education show (I suspect the former), but it'll be interesting to see when I can get hold of it.

I like the show so far. Several episodes in and they finally give someone the boot and I was wondering what took them so long on this particular candidate. So far they have worked on being aware of your area, maintaining your cover story and how to use strangers to get what you need. These are not just one offs but a constant that are always going on.

However, this is what it is. I put this thread up here because I think that it would be fairly easy to pilfer some of the things from here if anyone was going to run a spy camp in there campaign, a thought that I had wanted to try for some time.

I read enough accounts from actual former spies to usually know what is what. But I must admit that watching these people being sent through their paces on this is pretty interesting viewing.

As reality TV goes' date=' that might not be such a bad idea. On the other hand, [i']I hate reality TV.[/i]

Hah! I work at the cable division at Fox. One of my duties include having to watch Reality Programs for air on The Reality Channel. I joke about how Fox called my bluff when I would say that no amount of money would get me to watch this program or that program.

Well' date=' there's reality TV, and there's reality TV. The phrase covers everything from the [i']cinema verite[/i] of Cops to popularity contests like Big Brother.

Personally I like reality-competition shows where progress is measured by the contestant's actual performance rather than the audience's or other players' decisions -- The Amazing Race, for example, and to a lesser extent Who Wants To Be A Superhero? I can't tell whether this is a reality-competition or a pure-education show (I suspect the former), but it'll be interesting to see when I can get hold of it.

As far as I know, there is no money involved in this. So the grand prize for the 'winners' is knowing if they could possibly be a real spy. No hand to hand lessons or firearms training. They concentrate on keeping cover at all times, how to become more aware of their surroundings, how to use body language to put people more at ease, how to bluff your way into a job that you have no training in with only two days to prepare for it and how to basically become superparanoids.

Although for the jobs, the interviewers did know that the people were in the spy academy and were rating them on how convincing they came across instead of their actual work that they presented. For the most part everyone that they have interacted with were unaware of the situation. Of course I am only about 3 episodes in so things could take a turn.