Ego Boost

TaxiMan

Re: Ego Boost

Just to mention for people who might be new to Hero:

You are allowed to defend against Presence Attacks with either Ego OR Presence, whichever is higher.. So if you are making Professor Xanadu who's a gimp in a wheelchair, You don't have to buy him a 30 presence to keep him from shaking in his seat when Eye Scream busts into his room.. His 30 Ego will protect him very well.

And if you play your modifiers right, a guy with 10 presence can make a pretty good presence attack..

-CraterMaker

Yeah, 'mind control' happens.

BUT, this is could be a scaling error in Hero... Max for Legendary normals of 30. Now it's scaled properly. OR, say that Normals have 20 EGO absolute max, leave the rest alone? Anyway, I'm not really trying to suggest a rules change ('cause the game is fun and fine as is), just point out that EGO isn't exactly what it's described to be in the manual.

I'm inclined to agree with you that beyond an EGO of 30, we're looking at superhuman willpower. To have complete mind control (EGO +30 result) a character with a 30 EGO, you'd need to roll 60, which is the average roll on 17 or 18d6. I remind you that average here means you roll that half the time with those dice. If that same character buys a single point of Mental Defense, the target climbs up to 37 (which means you need 20d6 mind control). That's very, very impressive, but not in the realm of godliness.

To have complete mind control of a 50 EGO character, you'd need to roll an 80! (This is after getting past his 17 ECV). For that result, you need about 23d6. If that same character has just 1 pt of mental defense, your target climbs up to 91, which means you need 26d6 for a 50% chance of success. If your willpower is at a level where 20+d6 of mind control is not a guaranteed result of complete mind control, then I'd say you're in the clearly superhuman range of power.

For the record, I think an 18 EGO is quite impressive for a non-mentalist. It allows you to push yourself on a 13- (before levels), gives you a ECV of 6, and adds 4 pts of mental defense to whatever totals you have. I think it fits the definition of "strong willed" very nicely, and is a good investment for 16 or 17pts.

Yeah, 'mind control' happens.

BUT, this is could be a scaling error in Hero... Max for Legendary normals of 30. Now it's scaled properly. OR, say that Normals have 20 EGO absolute max, leave the rest alone? Anyway, I'm not really trying to suggest a rules change ('cause the game is fun and fine as is), just point out that EGO isn't exactly what it's described to be in the manual.

I'm inclined to agree with you that beyond an EGO of 30, we're looking at superhuman willpower. To have complete mind control (EGO +30 result) a character with a 30 EGO, you'd need to roll 60, which is the average roll on 17 or 18d6. If that same character buys a single point of Mental Defense, the target climbs up to 37 (which means you need 20d6 mind control). That's very, very impressive, but not in the realm of godliness.

To have complete mind control of a 50 EGO character, you'd need to roll an 80! (This is after getting past his 17 ECV). For that result, you need about 23d6. If that same character has just 1 pt of mental defense, your target climbs up to 91, which means you need 26d6. If your willpower is at a level where 20+d6 of mind control is not a guaranteed result of complete mind control, then I'd say you're in the clearly superhuman range of power.

For the record, I think an 18 EGO is quite impressive for a non-mentalist. It allows you to push yourself on a 13- (before levels), gives you a ECV of 6, and adds 4 pts of mental defense to whatever totals you have. I think it fits the definition of "strong willed" very nicely.

You're a wonderful human being with many great and unique qualities. The world wouldn't be the same with you. I don't say this lightly: you're one of my very favorite people. Ever. You're often the only reasonable person worth reading. You make me laugh like a hyena and your taste in movies is perfect. My respect and admiration for you is without limit. And I can't believe how stunning you are physically. You're just the total package. Have a fantastic day...you deserve it!

Third time reading this & I just got it. :D You will be repped.