Skybreaker

Jkeown

The Ashureen Blades

In ancient times, it is said, the Ashureen could enchant items as look at them. Plagued by summoners such as the Sarkeen and the Doshar League, they devised the Elemental Blades. Unlike most blades with an elemental theme, these are designed to destroy and banish elementals, rather than project elemental attacks or summon such creatures.

Skybreaker was the first of the blades, others exist to deal with elementals of fire, earth, water and (as rumors would have it) darkness.

Normally, a blade of this power would be a major artifact in most campaigns, but its limited utility suggests special placement at a lower level than first glance might warrent. "Air Magic" on the other hand, might be relatively common in your game, leading to a higher level placement.

Enjoy!

20 Skybreaker: Multipower, 80-point reserve, (80 Active Points); all slots Independent (-2), OAF (Sword; -1)

1u 1)
Vs Non-Air Elementals
(Total: 35 Active Cost, 7 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 1/2d6 (25 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (Sword; -1), STR Minimum 6-14 (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus +2 with HTH Combat (10 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (Sword; -1), STR Minimum 6-14 (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) 2

1u 2) Vs Air Elementals (Total: 57 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 1/2d6, Affects Desolidified Body of Air (+1/2) (37 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (Sword; -1), STR Minimum 6-14 (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 8) plus +4 with HTH Combat (20 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (Sword; -1), STR Minimum 6-14 (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) 4

1u 3)
Unsummon
: Dispel Summoned Air Elementals 26d6 (78 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Independent (-2), OAF (Sword; -1), Air Elementals Only (-1/2) [1]

1u 4)
Skybreaking
: Suppress Air Magic 16d6 (80 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Independent (-2), OAF (Sword; -1) [1]

Re: Skybreaker

That's a bit powerful for "low-powered" characters in my games - not the item's attack power, but the Dispel Elemental. I usually prefer to avoid giving them notable items, so that they don't become dependent, and I want elementals to be a threat to them throughout my campaigns. Still, it's a great item.

Here's a similar item I created for one of my campaigns:

Firebreaker, all slots OAF (-1)

Value: priceless Weight: 1.50kg

1) As A Flail:

(Total: 50 Active Cost, 18 Real Cost) HKA 1d6, +1 STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Indirect (Can Perform Flail Maneuver; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 1-5 (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 11) plus +1 OCV with Firebreaker (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus +2 STUN Multiplier (+1/2) for up to 30 Active Points of HKA (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only Works Against Fire Creatures And Pyromancers (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 5)Notes: M; Flail; DEF 4, BODY 4; Add +1 DC of damage per full +6.25 points of STR used above the STR Minimum.

2) Swung In A Circle:

Dispel 18d6, any Fire power one at a time (+1/4), Hole In The Middle (+1/4), Area Of Effect (8" Radius; +1), Two-Dimensional (-1/4) (121 Active Points); 4 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; -1 1/2), OAF (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Gestures (wielder must swing Firebreaker in a circle around his head; -1/4), Incantations (wielder must recite a specific prayer to the Sealord, the long-lost Paean of the Deep; -1/4), 4 charges (- 12 END

Firebreaker was created by the priests of an ancient Sea-Cult which battled a Fire Demon of great power. None remember them now, but the might of Firebreaker has been felt by many over the centuries of its existence, until it was lost by Unwin the Sailor of the Deep Wanderers adventuring company, during a recent expedition to the volcanic Isle of Poison Mist. The company disappeared during the mission, and sailors have told tales recently of a chieftain of a tribe of firenewts who has been amassing power by defeating other firenewt chieftains in rulership-challenges - it is said he wields a weapon like a silver flail, rare among the firenewts.

Firebreaker resembles a holy water sprinkler chased with silver, suspended from a silver chain, the whole designed with motifs of water and nereids and enchanted with wards against Fire and its children (causing them great pain when they are struck by it) - its sturdy design allows it to be used like a flail in combat. The sphere at the end of the chain can be opened, revealing a reservoir. When the reservoir is filled with seawater drawn directly from the sea and blessed by a priest of the forgotten cult, the item can be used to create a mist. The wielder must incant the ancient Paean of the Deep while swinging the sprinkler in a circle around his head; a mist will spray out from the holes in the sphere, a mist which will put out fires or hamper the abilities of creatures tied to the element of fire. The reservoir holds enough seawater for four uses before emptying.

Re: Skybreaker

I like the weapons.

The art gets me thinking of a question...why do so many powerful magical weapons look so damn impractical? :D

That particular look arose from a doodle-fest I was having to invent new things for my game. I drew a falchion-like object and cut those ovals out of it, and bling... new sword shape. Since then, magic weapons have looked like that to aid the flow of magic through the blade... or similar thaumobabble.

That... and it's just plain cool-lookin'!