WWYCD ( Iron Age ): Fortress of Solitude

Metaphysician

This is intended for characters in solidly iron age campaigns only, of either the 'realistic world' or 'grim and gritty' type.

During the course of a superbattle, or transportation accident, or other appropriate randomish circumstances, your character ( and his/her team if applicable ) find themselves in a remote location. Before you leave, however, you notice something suspicious ( odd sense readings, distortions, damaged terrain that looks artificial, etc ).

On investigating, you find a lost secret base. Not just any base though: this base is the home of 'Superman' ( the genuine silver-bronze version ), basically.

The thing is, in your world, 'Superman' is only a fictional character, a guy in old funny books, not like anybody in the real world. And yet, the base matches almost exactly with what you'd expect of the base from the comic, granting the assumption that the comic was a simplified portrayal. It shows every sign of being a functional super base on examination, not a fake. It also shows signs of having not been visited for at least a decade, if not more.

WWYCD?

Re: WWYCD ( Iron Age ): Fortress of Solitude

Terminus would be intrigued. He'd get the team together, contact UNTIL, and lead an expedition to the base, with the intention of finding out all there is to know.

His reasoning is this: Superman, as portrayed in the comics, is almost unbelievably powerful. If he actually exists, he could be the greatest boon to humankind in all of history - or it's most lethal threat. Either way, understanding the reality of the myth is the key to unlocking the mystery.

I don't know if this book is considred Iron Age or not, but Planetary had a very similar storyline early in their sporadic run. It is well worth reading. In fact, they are always finding these types of artifacts as part of the ongoing story arc. Overall, it is an excellent series, if a little behind schedule.

This is the book where that story can be found:

http://www.amazon.com/Planetary-Vol-World-Other-Stories/dp/1563896486/sr=8-1/qid=1160235936/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-5634449-5152728?ie=UTF8&s=books

I don't know if this book is considred Iron Age or not, but Planetary had a very imilar storyline early in their sporadic run. It is well worth reading. In fact, they are always finding these types of artifacts as part of the ongoing story arc. Overall, it is an excellent series, if a little behind schedule.

This is the book where that story can be found:

http://www.amazon.com/Planetary-Vol-World-Other-Stories/dp/1563896486/sr=8-1/qid=1160235936/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-5634449-5152728?ie=UTF8&s=books

Yes, this reminded me of Planetary as well. Arguably most of their early stories were about the exploration of "real world" remenants of a fantastic hidden past, a past half-remembered as fiction.

It was part of what I was trying to capture in my Alternate Wold-Newton time line.

Heh, actually, this is more directly from the campaign setting I'm currently playing in, which was itself, in turn, inspired by Planetary.

Of course, if you know Planetary, than your OOC response to this event occuring should probably be something along the lines of "Gah, run!!" :eg:

( and yes, Planetary, and the WSU in general, is definitely iron. It just varies in the amount of rust )