How to? Magnetic power set on 350 pts.

Hyper-Man

Magnetism seems so simple and has a great examples in the comics with Magneto and Cosmic Boy but has always confounded me in HERO.

Here is a power set I created for a magetic based character that I've never been very satisfied with:

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
50     [b][i]Magnetic Control[/i][/b]: Multipower, 75-point reserve,  (75 Active Points); all slots except [i][b]Scrap Iron[/b][/i] Limited Power (Requires Metal To Work With; -1/4), Limited Power (Affected by adjustment powers like an Elemental Control ; -1/4) [Notes: All slots assume that she has a minimum amount of metal on hand to work with.  Some slots require a larger amount.] - END=
5u     1)  [b][i]It's All Scrap Iron[/i][/b]: RKA 4d6, Conditional Power Only vs. Metal (+0), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points) - END=3
5u     2)  [b][i]Metalic Hand[/i][/b]: Telekinesis (50 STR) (75 Active Points) [Notes: This literally turns any nearby source of metal into a virtual hand that can be used as a real one to Crush, Grab, Hit, Squeeze, Throw, etc.. vs. any material (metalic or not).] - END=7
4u     3)  [b][i]Invisible Magnetism[/i][/b]: Telekinesis (15 STR), Fine Manipulation, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (73 Active Points); Limited Power (Only vs. Metal; -1) - END=3
5u     4)  [b][i]Steel Siding[/i][/b]: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF (Stops A Given Sense Group Sight Group, Stops A Given Sense Normal Hearing) (75 Active Points) - END=7
5u     5)  [b][i]Cannon Ball[/i][/b]: EB 12d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points) [Notes: Most commonly used attack.] - END=3
4u     6)  [b][i]Catch This... (* See Notes)[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 10d6, Explosion (Cone; -1 DC/2"; +1/2) (75 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Requires Larger Amount Of Metal Than Normal; -1/2), Range Based On Strength (Telekinesis) (-1/4) [Notes: "This" can be any object containing a large enough amount of metal: bus, car, mailbox, streetlamp, etc..] - END=7
4u     7)  [b][i]Shot-Gun Blast[/i][/b]: RKA 3d6+1, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (75 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) [Notes: Requires Magnetic Power Skill roll at -3 (11- before any levels) to only hit target Area Of Affect (1 Hex).  Does no knockback due to high-velocity/low-mass nature of attack.] - END=7
4u     8)  [b][i]Form of... Claws[/i][/b]: (Total: 75 Active Cost, 43 Real Cost) HKA 2d6+1 (3d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (70 Active Points); No Knockback (-1/4) (Real Cost: 40) [b]plus[/b] +1 with "Form of... Claws" (HTH) (Real Cost: 3)  - END=0
4u     9)  [b][i]Form of... Steel Bat[/i][/b]: (Total: 75 Active Cost, 38 Real Cost) Hand to Hand Attack +7d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (70 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 35) [b]plus[/b] +1 with "Form of... Steel Bat" (HTH) (Real Cost: 3) [Notes: Total Damage = 12d6 Armor Piercing.  O End does not include any Strength used.] - END=0
      - END=
13     [b][i]Magnetic Control[/i][/b]: Elemental Control, 32-point powers,  (16 Active Points); all slots Physical Manifestation (Must have metal to work with; -1/4) - END=
13     1)  FF (13 PD/13 ED), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (32 Active Points) - END=3
13     2)  Flight 10", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (31 Active Points) - END=1
      - END=
6     [b][i]Immunity To Metal[/i][/b]: Armor (7 PD/0 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (13 Active Points); Only Works Against Very Limited Type of Attack (Metal; -1) [Notes: Not listed as part of primary defenses.] - END=0
10     [b][i]Living Metal Detector[/i][/b]: Detect A Class Of Things 12- (Radio Group), Discriminatory [Notes: Does act as a Sense but does not have Targeting yet.] - END=0
      - END=

any suggestions gang?

Re: How to? Magnetic power set on 350 pts.

Looks great over all! :thumbup:

I think I might decrease the "metal only" modifier on Invisible Magnetism. =1 doesn't seem to be justified, metal or metal components are pretty common. Even a key pad with plastic buttons will often have metal contacts under the buttons that could be manipulated. Hmm, you might need some sort of telescopic "metal sight" power to be able to use this fully.

Other than that I think it's great. I really like the Metal Detector power. :)

Thanks.

Part of the dilema that I have seen in play with this build is that it does not give the character any bonus when using the TK vs. metal-only targets.

The only viable way to acheive that is to buy extra TK outside the multipower. If I go that route what is the justification that the TK vs. metal only is on higher active points than the RKA vs. metal only. The only rules legal option would be to then buy extra RKA as well which cannot be put into any type of framework with the extra TK. It makes it more expensive to match sfx than it would to otherwise just increase the WHOLE multipower.

Thanks.

Part of the dilema that I have seen in play with this build is that it does not give the character any bonus when using the TK vs. metal-only targets.

The only viable way to acheive that is to buy extra TK outside the multipower. If I go that route what is the justification that the TK vs. metal only is on higher active points than the RKA vs. metal only. The only rules legal option would be to then buy extra RKA as well which cannot be put into any type of framework with the extra TK. It makes it more expensive to match sfx than it would to otherwise just increase the WHOLE multipower.

There are a few other way to simulate a "power up" against specific SFX. We have a strict max AP limit in our games so none of these suggestions add direct APs to an existing power.

One of my old standbys is Find Weakness. You could buy FW to buff up your TK as follows:

FW w/ TK (10), +3 to Roll (15), Only Effects Metal (-1) = 12 pts.

A great way to buff up your FF is Damage Reduction. I would buy it like this:

50% Resistant PD DR (30), vs. Metal Only (-1), Linked to FF (-1/4) = 13 pts.

For your other powers (such as the RKA), you could just increase your FW to include them.

Here two more suggestions I have used in the past for a Magnetic Controller. I'll make them both 75 AP so they fit in the MP. The second one is a real killer against metal using bad guys:

"Magnetic Mastery" Missile Deflection, Any Attack (20), +5 to Roll (10), Ranged (+1), vs. Metal Only (-1). To get it up to 75 AP, see if your GM will allow you to buy it Uncontrolled (+1/2)

"Magnetic Field" Change Environment (5), x16" Radius (20), -5 OCV (20), Multiple Combat Effects (5), -5 DCV (25), Only vs. Targets using metal based powers (-1)

I hope some of these ideas help.

Change Environment is a good addition.

A Drain on all "metallic-based powers" or similar could be a fun power.

I like the idea as well, for a nasty power for an NPC, of simulating the "I can make the metal in your blood destroy you" power with a rare Does BOD NND RKA, could be linked to Concentration and/or an RSR to make it more interesting.

I created 3 or 4 other slots like those mentioned but since they weren't core to the 'starting version' of the character I left them out here.

I guess the main question I have is regarding how to handle the Limitation associated with this and similar sfx (TK vs. a specific substance: metal, rock, cotton, sand etc...)

It seems to that if a character has enough TK vs. a specfic substance then that substance can usually be used to affect everything else in the environment. Magneto and Terra are the best examples of this.

So using the TK example from my build would you rule that this character could lift 50 STR worth of metal and slightly less if manipulating a non-metal object with a smaller amount of metal as a hand?

It seems to that if a character has enough TK vs. a specfic substance then that substance can usually be used to affect everything else in the environment. Magneto and Terra are the best examples of this.

Actually, IMHO these are different types of TKs. As frequently shown, Magneto has no TK when there is no metal present. Terra almost always has earth around her and will even bring some along when she needs to. I would allow a Magneto type TKer to take the full Limitation, but for a player who manipulates something as common as earth, I would say Physical Manifestation (with earth being the SFX) is a more appropraite limitation.

So using the TK example from my build would you rule that this character could lift 50 STR worth of metal and slightly less if manipulating a non-metal object with a smaller amount of metal as a hand?

The power, as you described it, sounds like just the SFX for the TK (i.e. a big metal hand). If you want the STR to be less against non-metal objects then you could apply an additional limitation to the power to reflect it. You may also want to consider the Physical Manifestation limitation if the hand can be damaged, or destroyed.

Hyper-Man, for your specific desire to have a Magnetic Only power up without having to buy extra effect for various slots outside of the MP, consider something like the build I used for Firestar:

http://www.killershrike.com/misccharacters/newwarriors/Firestar.HTML

The Power Up trigger and Power Up Aid. Your particular triggering condition (only vs Metal) and lims (if any) would be different, but the basic idea is sound and gives you a workable model.

Note that I personally don't agree with the restriction of using an Adjustment Power in one Framework to affect a Power in another Framework and ignore it. If you do observe it, just buy the same abilities raw for the same net affect.

and slightly less if manipulating a non-metal object with a smaller amount of metal as a hand?

I just re-read this and realized what you're saying. You mean, take random bits of metal (bolts, siding, girders, car panels, etc.) and shape them into a hand which you can use to manipulate stuff?

It kinda depends. Either you need a LOT of skill to do this, and you are a very old and experienced Character. Expect to be required to add "Requires Power Tricks roll." Probably at a huge minus.

Or, you just bought regular old TK, and dropped the power level a little, and added "must have some metal to work with." Which you did, iirc. That's fine, and fair, because you paid points for it directly (as opposed to try to get it with your Metal Only TK power). Dropping the power level a bit is a nice way to stay "in character."

Killer Shrike,

I like the 'power-up' Aid build concept. I will have to look at that idea some more. I agree that the absolute restriction against using a power from one framework with those of another framework can make certain concepts extremely difficult and/or more expensive than necessary.