How cheap can you castle?

Daryl

Originally posted by Space Cadet

By any chance, did the idea for this power come from the DC sci-fi limited series Spanner's Galaxy?

Yes! I couldn't remember the name of the book until you'd said it, but that's where I first remember seeing the power called that. Was that the first use of the term? It's so wide-spread now that "castling" was either in the air before that comic (some SF story, maybe), or picked up since then.

--d

Re: Re: If you don't mind a House Rule...

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

This looks pretty decent, though with one fairly minor caveat: since I was able to build the ability for 45 points at 15", I'd call the basic Advantage (trading locations only) a +1/2, and the trading of facing and velocity an additional +1/2. :D

I thought of trading facing and velocity actually a part of teleport castling. If Person A is flying back and exchanges with (or gets exchanged by) Person B who is standing still, it makes sense to me that Person A is now standing still and Person B is flying back. In some cases, that shouldn't happen, and additional Adders could be used to match velocities, change headings and facings, etc. As one person suggested, it could teleport the other person to the midpoint to reflect the chess maneuver. :P

It feels like a +1 to me. It would be used as an attack (unless a limitation prevents it from swapping with just anybody) and it's really two teleports. If a GM wants to make it a +1/2, and it reflects the special effects, then by all means take it. :D

Edit: Exchanging velocity, position, etc. isn't always an advantage. You could end up, flat on your back or even 0 DCV inside someone's grab. Or exchanging with someone right before that huge attack lands while you're at non-combat. Or if the target is running away, you could port in looking away[\u] from the battle.

Granted, anyone who had this power, would attempt to exchange with an enemy to "set him up". Taunting Grond and swapping with the enemy's martial art expert right before that haymaker, for example...

I was also thinking, if you could exhange with almost anything that has enough mass, that's a -0 Limitation. If you could exchange only with a small number of teammates or objects, that's a -1/2 Limitation. If you could only exchange with "your other half" that's a -1 Limitation.

As I understand it this is not a power you want to be able to tag onto anybody, but a bodyswap with one specific person, right?

In that case, I would go with trigger and side effect, and ignore the attack aspect. The downside is that they would have to agree to accept the power: but if it is a specific NPC or another PC then that should be OK

Rationale: If the King could simply move to the Castle when surrounded by Mechanons, then that's cool.

If the Castle - the only person on whom you can use the power - is then dropped inthe middle of mess of Mechanons who have just been irritated by the disappearance of the meat-being - not so cool...

Cheers, Mark

Re: Re: Re: If you don't mind a House Rule...

Originally posted by Blue Jogger

I thought of trading facing and velocity actually a part of teleport castling. If Person A is flying back and exchanges with (or gets exchanged by) Person B who is standing still, it makes sense to me that Person A is now standing still and Person B is flying back. In some cases, that shouldn't happen, and additional Adders could be used to match velocities, change headings and facings, etc. As one person suggested, it could teleport the other person to the midpoint to reflect the chess maneuver. :P

It feels like a +1 to me. It would be used as an attack (unless a limitation prevents it from swapping with just anybody) and it's really two teleports. If a GM wants to make it a +1/2, and it reflects the special effects, then by all means take it. :D

I'm not saying your math is wrong or anything; I'm just saying let's set it up so both options are possible. +1/2 to just change locations, +1 to also change positions and velocities. Usually characters will take the +1 level; +1/2 is just a special option for when the Special Effects call for it.
I was also thinking, if you could exhange with almost anything that has enough mass, that's a -0 Limitation. If you could exchange only with a small number of teammates or objects, that's a -1/2 Limitation. If you could only exchange with "your other half" that's a -1 Limitation.
This could also be set up with Adders: +0 points for one person, +5 points for a small group, +10 points for anyone. (I'm not sure this would properly meld into the system, but it's a thought.)