Out of Genre Heroes..

Alibear

I'm GMing a Supers campaign for a bunch of ex AD&Ders and this is thier first time playing a "Cape".

My problem is enforcing the genre. My players are too quick to initiate combat with a love of attacking from surprise and not indulging in the very "in-genre" soliliquays and banter that normally proceeds violence. In so many comics and films do the bad guys explain some very complex plots to the PCs before trying to "off" them. Or how often to small pieces of information, which would shed light on what is going on, fall into the investigators hands during chance encounters or glib remarks?

My players are snuffing these roleplaying oportunities out, here is my solotion to the problem, tell me what you think of it.

A little background before I explain the current goings on..

Foxbat was released from jail on parole with the previso that he spent 1 year, the time he would have served in jail, doing good.

He was released into the care of the local superteam, The Avatars of Justice, and he would become a temporary member of that group.

After about a month of game time, in which Foxbat had, on film, kicked the bejesus out of a pushy PC. ( I'm also running the Great Supervillain Contest, pointsa for F.)

Anyway, Foxbats lawyers have filed a motion, which the judge upheld,(and ordered a secret investigation into AoJ methods) to scrap the scheme as Foxbat had witnessed one PC tortuing a villain for more information.

Anyway, the plot. F. has aquired, from Telios, a chemical which inhibits the muscles in the face that allow smiling and laughter.

After poisoning New Yorks water supply he has made a fake ransome demand from GRAB.

Kowing that the PCs know his address, he has left an "issue" of the Amazing Foxbat # 35 featuring the Avatars of Justice, which shows GRAB poisoning the water and Foxbat racing to "Ground Zero - visitors centre" where GRAB capture him.

In actual fact Foxbat gets one of his goons to tie him up and dump him in the Ground Zero visitors centre and then contacts GRAB to let them know that the false demand was made by Foxbat and where he can be found.

The Avatars of Justice arrive just after GRAB turn up and are questioning Foxbat.

The players, as I correctly assumed, don't stop to ascertain facts, just plow straight into combat.

Next time I plan to award Foxbat and the Avatars a televised award for saving the City and perhaps a plot of ground that they can build a base on.

In a few weeks I plan to let the PCs find out that they have been duped by F. and see what they do about it.

Will they go public and ruin they're good press?

Will they cover it up and seek revenge on F.?

Is this fair on the PCs?

It works for Pavloff

Bonus Chips:

Pull out some poker chips. Whites are 1, Reds 5, and Blues 25.

Bonus chips have three functions in the game: 1) they are traded in to allow you to reroll a die roll, 2) they are traded in to allow you to dictate the result of a non dramatic roll, 3) they can be use to make an NPC reroll (if you the GM choose not to allow the reroll, they earn a chip), 4) they can be converted into experience (3 chips= 1 EP)

How do you earn bonus chips you ask?

Normally, You do something that is a bonus to the game. You roleplay a scene well, you come up with an ingenious plan, you contribute something to the overall campaign. (An optional one is bringing your GM Pizza or suitable food bribe).

In your case, you want to reward genre related activity. If a player performs an act that is notably "in the genre", they get a chip. Start small at first, for the first few sessions, reward any superheroic action. Then begin to "raise the bar", so the players begin to improve their activity.

You could even give them a sheet that lists "actions that could earn you bonus points". This would be a list of genre tropes that you want to reinforce.

The advantage of bonus chips is that they are immediate rewards for good roleplaying or in genre roleplaying, as well as superior play in other area. They are a teaching reward; a great pavolovian training device; an obvious reward for an immediate action. All of a sudden, like the rats looking for pellets, all the players will be trying to earn these things. (D&Ders especially, as they are pre-tested to wanting regular rewards as they play (can you say Levels and Boons?). They will begin to try harder to earn chips, sometimes putting in more effort than they are worth. Turn it into a competition on who can earn the most in a given night. Get their own "win" natures on your side.

I have a number of roleplay tips at http://www.openroleplaying.org/tools/tips/ Search for Player, Roleplay, all the world, and a few others that escape me right at the moment. Or just F5.... alot.

I think instead of poker chips, you could just toss a Dorito at them. And that new orange Mountain Dew! Yum.

A serious heart to heart is needed to explain how the cape-and-spandex crowd kicks it. Assign comic book reading if need be. Don't hint at the problem, just come out with it. "You guys have SEEN a comic book, right? No, King Conan doesn't count.""

If that fails, Jimmie kicks, all around.