Mental Illusions

Sir Ofeelya

I have a question about Mental Illusions. Lets say you have a massive 18d6 Mental Illusion (illusion does STUN and BOD if you get EGO+30 on your roll) that represents a mental monster attacking the character. I know - lots of points. My question is...while the fight is really inside the character's head, what, or whose, combat values do you use to referee the fight? The illusion's controller? Generate stats for the beast from the points rolled on the illusion dice? How do you Heros handle this?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Mental Illusions

My interpretation of the rules is that if the illusion is that the character gets hit and takes damage, then the damage gets rolled. If the player is being told that the combat is really happening for the sake of gameplay, the GM just rolls the inconsequential to-hit, tells the player he's been hit regardless, and then rolls damage. The illusion creator might allow the illusory attacker to miss on a Phase or two just to give the illusioned hero the impression that it's a real fight, but I think he gets to roll damage any time his Phase comes up if he wants to.

Re: Mental Illusions

It depends on the level of the Illusion. If the illusion completely removes/replaces reality, the fight might be entirely in the target's head while he stands there at 0 DCV and drools. If not, then the character would have whatever combat values he's have when taking whatever actions/reactions he would against a real opponent. If the mental monster would have done KB to the character, he just falls down. If the monster grabs the character, the characters acts as if grabbed, and is at the appropriate CV.

The big parts come when other characters take advantage of the fact the illusion isn't really there. If they somehow know what the illusion is and where it is/what it's doing; they can hide behind it/within it and attack, getting a surprise bonus. They might be able to simply use the illusion as a distraction to take actions the target then won't be aware of.