A martial arts + powers question

umbra

Ok I have a ranged killing attack (1d6) with which I would like to use martial arts maneuvers (the special effect is a bow with arrows appearing). My questions are this... is it legal to use a killing attack with a martial art move and how do you figure damage? Also any ideas for some sort of entangle type effect (i.e. pinning someone with arrows to the floor or wall)? Could I make it a martial attack or would I have to make up a new power for it?

I have bought the weapon skill bow and all the maneuvers would be the new ranged martial arts attacks. Help I'm lost : (

Sure - there's a write up of Zen Rifelry in the UMA.

For Example: Placed Shot +2OCV/+0DCV +2DC

Just convert the number of dice the maneuver adds to damage classes and add them to the base damage of the weapon.

There's a DC chart in FRED.

And the cool thing is you can use the maneuvers to abrogate hit location penalties.

Instead of called shot "hand" at -8OCV to shoot the gun out of someones hand you can just buy ranged Disarm and take the maneuvers -1OCV penalty.

I have allowed players to purchase "ranged grab" as a martial maneuver with the FX of pinning a sleeve, pant leg, or cloak to the wall. In general, instead of a break out roll, it just takes the character a full phase to free themselves unless they can do it with casual strength.

If they want to pin a limb to a wall or nearby object then you have the problem of their trying to do body and entangle the character. That's something you need to discuss with your GM. I would allow the character to do it and convert the strength of the grab maneuver into DCs of RKA, but I'm easy.

You can also implement a legsweep/trip maneuver by calling it "leg shot". You convert the maneuver DCs to DCs of RKA and the target falls.

Originally posted by umbra

My Hero Designer does list a ranged attack called Trip and Offensive Trip, which I guess is sorta like a leg sweep (I didn't see a definition for it in the UMA)

The Offensive Trip allows the ranged attack to do Strike + v/5. The regular trip just allows the damage to be v/5. Both maneuvers knock over the target though.

So if I wanted to pin someone down with an arrow, like a very limited entangle, any suggestions on how to build a ranged grab martial arts maneuver? I have the UMA but want to get second opinions before submitting it to my GM.

I think you can just define it as ranged and call it a "pin". It would have a few limitations based on SFX and whether or not you were pinning them with their clothes or by sticking their hand into the wall with the arrow. Since you can grab and do damage you should be able to use the maneuver and do 2DCs of RKA to your target, or to say "just doing cloth" and do no damage, in which case the strength of the grab (10) would be what they would need to overcome to break out. The maneuver exists in the UMAs zen archery package so their shouldn't be any issues.

Originally posted by D-Man

Just convert the number of dice the maneuver adds to damage classes and add them to the base damage of the weapon.

At 2 for 1. That is, a maneuver with +2 DC (such as Martial Strike) adds +1 DC to Killing Attacks. Offensive Strike (which is +4 DC) would add +2 DC to a Killing Attack.

Originally posted by Arthur

At 2 for 1. That is, a maneuver with +2 DC (such as Martial Strike) adds +1 DC to Killing Attacks. Offensive Strike (which is +4 DC) would add +2 DC to a Killing Attack.

Thanks, I would still love the page number on Zen Archery, it sounds like something that would help me a lot. My UMA doesn't seem to have it, and i'm wondering if I got a defective copy (such things have happened before).

Only time I see Zen Archery mentioned was by me, mentioning that it existed in UMA and might be helpful to you as well as Zen Rifle.

As pointed out it is actualy called Kenjutsu (Sp)

Grab is not available in ranged MA, the best you can do is a throw and say the F/X is that the guy gets pinned until he removes the arrow/knife/whatever (Same as getting up)