Exiled Champions

Powerhouse

Hi everyone. If you've haven't read the Exiles by Marvel, basically it tells of heroes from alternate worlds as they come together to dimension hope. You might have an Exiled Wolverine from a world where he never gained his adamantium skeleton and claws but instead became a top notched superspy and the head of Shield. Of Spiderman mutated into a monster and is now hunted.

So I decided to apply that to the Champions. The setup is that each individual has become "unhinged" in time and are assigned to a team that need to go around Quantum Leap style to fix alternate timelines. Do that enough and they might be able to go home.

First up, Defender:

Defender: in another world, Doctor Destroyer's base in Detroit was never discovered and the heroes learned too late of his plans to shower the Earth in meteors. Lacking the time to organize, the heroes attempted to stop the attacks piecemeal only to be torn apart by Destroyer's super-powered allies. Around Earth orbit, more heroes were killed in the unorganized attempt to stop the deadly asteroids.

After the cities of New York City, San Francisco, London, and Beijing were obliterated, the world capitulated to Destroyer's rule and he quickly culled from the population the most brutal and oppressive to be his enforcers. Patriotism, religion, and philosophy have been ruthlessly attacked so that only the cult of the Destroyer will move man's thoughts.

Yet there is always hope. A small group of heroes young and old came together to overthrow Destroyer. In secret they worked lest the bombardment begin anew. Their leader is Defender who has worked tirelessly until at last his team managed to destroy the machine that called the asteroids as well as the intricate plans needed to reconstruct them.

This battle cost Defender his life. Before this could get out and crush the morale of the resistance, Wendy Brooks, housekeeper, donned Defender's armor. With his identity, she is a rallying figure in the battle against Destroyer. Only two other people in the resistance know that Defender is dead and an ill-trained pretender is in his place. Although Wendy would love to step down, the armor will only respond to her (the original Defender had programmed that as a joke) and it is too advanced to be replicated.

Take the Defender character sheet and reduce characteristics to reflect someone not as smart/strong as James Harmon. Keep the powers but reduce skills to reflect a house keeper with *some* technical skills. For disadvantages, remove the DNPC and replace with Secret: Not the real Defender. Replace the Psych Limit "Must Live Up to Family Reputation" with Psych Limit: Dedicated to overthrowing Doctor Destroyer.

Some of her unspent points can be used as the campaign goes foward to reflect greater skill and confidence in her role as well as profiency with the armor.

Re: Exiled Champions

And here's Nighthawk:

Nighthawk - the Shogun's final scream pierced the ninja's soul. Despite Nighthawk's skill with the blade, he could not cut his way fast enough past the blackclad attackers as they slew his master- the Shogun of Earth in the year 2006.

As the last attacker, fell, Nighthawk kneeled before his murdered master. He had failed as the leader of the Shadows: ninjas and spies who protected the empire from threats internal and external. He prepared to take his own life when the doors slammed open and the Shogun's heir swept into the room with his retinue. Rather than be shocked at the display, he smugly declared Nighthawk the true assassin and ordered him killed. Rival Shadows eagerly descended upon the disgraced ninja.

Knowing the truth, that his own heir had murdered the Shogun, Nighthawk escaped into the blackness of night and swore that he would avenge his fallen master.

Replace Nighthawk's gadgets with bladed killed weapons as well as devices (both modern and ancient) to assist with disguise and infiltration. Replace KS as appropriate. Remove DF and DNPC to be replaced with hunted by Shogun's forces. Change Psych Limits to Honorbound (Com, Tot) and Obsessed with avenging his master (com, tot)

For Sapphire, I present an earlier post I made where the mainstream Sapphire exhanged places with her counterpart:

"Kory! Kory wake up!"

Muttering, Sapphire rolled over in bed and clutched the pillow over her head. "Oh man... in this reality I still live at home?" Opening one eye, she saw the familiar beige walls of her childhood room. "Oh brother... what a loser my counterpart is."

Peeking her head in, an older and pleasantly plump Hispanic woman said, "Kory you have to get up. You have that big meeting with the Parents-Teachers Council. Very important!"

Groaning, Sapphire pulled the pillow over her head. "I have that here too!" Last week in her home world, the singer had been force to endure a sit down with the PTC to end a boycott of her records. Like I'm the only singer who bares her midriff and shakes her hips, she thought crossly. Four hours of lectures and arguments had ended with an agreement for speak at about a dozen schools to promote "solid morale values among our young women."

"Kory..."

Tossing the pillow aside, Sapphire pulled herself into a sitting position. "Fine, fine... I'm coming. I swear that sometimes it seems that the PTC wouldn't even *exist* if it wasn't for me."

With a puzzled look on her face, Kory's mother said, "well you could almost say that's true my dear. Now breakfast is almost ready so get dressed."

"Yeah, yeah..." the heroine muttered as she stumbled out of bed and walked to her closet. She'd probably pick something business-like... but showing a lot of leg and jus a hint of cleavage. Worked last time, she thought with a grin. Tweed maybe....

"MOM!!!!!"

In a rush, her mother was there. "What's wrong Kory?"

Frowning, Sapphire asked, "umm... what's this?" A wave of her hand, sparkling a bit with energy as frustration tickled at her mind, indicated row upon rows of long, flowing white dresses that covered from head to toe and left everything to the imagination. The only ornamentation were silver crosses and frilly bows.

"Umm... your clothes dears!"

"No they're not! Where's my leather! And lace! My tube tops and mini's!" On the verge of tears, she added, "I can't find my favorite belt! It took me 6 days on Rodeo Drive to find the *perfect* one!"

"Dear, are you ok?" Placing a hand on Sapphire's forehead, her mother frowned. "Oh it's so hard to tell if you have a fever when you sparkle. Kory... you've *never* been to Rodeo Drive. Remember when you lead that rally against it because it emphasized materialism and waste that could go to charity."

Sapphire dropped flat onto her bottom. "Never .... been to Rodeo Drive." Glancing in confusion her eye fell onto the four pairs of sensible shoes in the closet. "Are those... it? I don't have my **** me pumps anymore?"

"Kory! You've never said anything like that before! You must be feeling sick! You can't go like that to the meeting. And they were going to give you that award too."

"Award?"

"Yes! The PTC wanted to thank you for your support in pulling MTV from the air! It was a huge success. In fact, you pretty much did it single-handedly. Isn't it wonderful?"

"I took MTV... off the air?" Burying her head in her hands, Sapphire managed to mutter, "what, is VH-1 next?"

"Of course not! Especially since they became a solely Christian music channel with my precious Kory as its lead star! Why some even call it VH-Sapphire!" Hands on her cheeks, the woman struggled to control herself. "I'm sorry dear but I'm just so proud and today was going to be so big for you... even bigger than when you received the Virtue Award."

Sapphire *was* starting to feel sick. "Virtue Award... I don't even wanna know..."

"Well of course *I* don't have to tell you about it. Everyone remembers when you went on national television and pledged to wait until marriage! So many young women were inspired by you."

Curling into a fetal position, Sapphire whined, "someone kill me now."

Helping Sapphire up, her mother muttered comforting words as the heroine into bed. "Now now dear... I know they'll understand that you're too sick to show up." Tucking her daughter in, the elder woman smiled and added, "still I'm sure you'll be fine for next week's rally."

Not wanting to know, Sapphire grimaced and asked anyway. "Rally?"

Nodding enthusiastically, her mother said, "the one against the WWE to stop their violence and exploitation of women. Bulldozer will be giving the main speech."

Clutching the sheets to her chest, Sapphire squeaked out, "Bulldozer Mom?"

"Of course! Who else could deliver that speech but your fiancée?"

Basically Sapphire's sheet is unchanged except to change her DNPC to her fiancée : Bulldozer and the Overconfident limit is changed to Devout Catholic (VC, Str). Replace Seduction with Oratory to reflect her character building speeches to impressionable youths.

Witchfire (based on Witchcraft)- Bethany screams as the cultists tied her down. She begged them to release her but her pitiful cries were ignored as the robed men and women lashed the girl to the stone tablet while her parents watched on critically. She had refused the oath of the Circle of the Scarlet Moon so instead she would be sacrificed to its dark gods.

Her own mother held the wickedly curved dagger above Bethany's heart. The dark flames flickered around the blade in a grotesque embrace as the chants grew louder and more obscene. The young girl screamed again but only succeeded in bloodying her wrists against her bindings. The sight of crimson caught her sister Pamela's eye and the evil twin licked her lips in anticpation.

The chants reached their crescendo and the mother tensed as she prepared to drive the blade into her daughter's chest. Then gore covered the horrified girl as her mother's head exploded into a crimson mist. Shouts of pain and terror mingled with bullets and running feet before a strong hand severed Bethany's bonds and a man carried her off into the night.

That man was Witchfinder (see Arcane Adversaries), a man who had devoted his life to destroying all magic. Bethany, alone and horrified at the depths of evil that magic could unleash, demanded to be trained as his partner. She took the name "Witchfire" for she would be a cleansing fire that would purge the world of the supernatural.

For the next several years, they roamed the world destroying magic and killing its practitioners where possible. Witchfinder was killed in battle but Witchfire caries on his legacy as a hard -edged and very intense witch hunter who hates all magic.

Her character sheet is the most changed of all. Best to use Witchfinder's from Arcane Adversaries as a base. Knock down str to 15 and raise Com to 16. Reduce a few skills/equipment to boost ego to 23.

Still working on the last two- trying to design them with the other characters in mind, ie how they all get along (or not).

The crew so far I think is interesting and all would have interesting arcs I hope. Wendy/Defender needs to grow into her role as a hero and it would be interesting to see if she moves into the leader role. Nighthawk I think I'd change even more to make him quieter (remove the enrage or change it) but deadlier... kinda creepy almost. Maybe give him some supernatural abilities as well. Or cybenetics... or BOTH! An interesting mix of east and west, old and new as it were.

For Sapphire, I love her just as she is since she is SO different from her normal personality- definitely the innocent and naive one. I could see her as being the "nice" one who might accidently get on everyone else's nerves. And Witchfire is also a 180 as well with her hard-charging and rough edge personality (think a young Batman). She never relaxes, is always training, and will say quite loudly "should we be ****ing DOING SOMETHING?" Nice little conflict between her and Sapphire I bet.

Interesting, all have a reason to go home and thus go through the missions (fight for the resistance, avenge his master, be with her family, or continue her grim campaign.) I think one of the next Exiled Champions doesn't WANT to go back home for one reason or another. Also, one might be supernatural in origin.

I think the answer would be obvious :)

Seeker, Solitaire, Quantum, Jaguar, Obsidian, Marksman, Flare, Sparkplug

Seeker is easy:

Once a renowned and respected superhero, Seeker finds himself adrift in universes where he is completely unknown, or believed to be a rather ludicrous fictional character. Can he find his way home? Or is he just a shirtless lunatic with a katana?

Y'know, there's still other worlds untapped there.

Professor Jacob Manning was a young archeology professor at Bay City University when an old friend involved him in a series of encounters with a malevolent mystical organization known as the Brotherhood Arcane. During a desperate struggle at a magical ruin that would later be known as the Pit, they found themselves stranded in the Shadow Realm. As his old friend managed to return them home, Jacob felt some unseen force attempt to hold him there. Though he broke free, it's mark has been left upon him. Now his body has been altered, twisting into a more monstrous form. His new body has incredible physical power and resilience that increases as it's form grows more demonic in appearance. Fortunately, with concentration he can also return to a fully human form for brief periods. He fears this form may carry with it an evil nature but for now he revels in his power and fights for justice as Behemoth, mainstay of the Champions.

Solitaire...from Earth-Matriarchy.

Similar powers, but a drastically different personality. Instead of being a shy, timid little creature, she's an obnoxious female chauvinist who smokes cigars, makes lewd and belittling comments about attractive men, and thinks "masculists" are crazy with their talk of men and women being equal.

Basically, Guy Gardner's more obnoxious traits.