Giants and Hit Locations

Blue

Re: Giants and Hit Locations

As it would be right now' date=' Hero (9 OCV - 8 for "head shot" = 1 OCV) attacks Monster (5 DCV -10 due to size = -5 DCV) = 17- chance to hit him in the head, which is too easy for a "head shot" quality hit.[/quote']DCV cannot go below zero (5ER, p. 373). So the attack is OCV 1 vs. DCV 0 = 12- to hit. Don't forget any Range Penalties.

I feel size modifiers should be OCV mods, not DCV. They should not be halved if the target is stunned and such, and for objects the size mod is an OCV penalty, as it is for hit locations.

Make size mods OCV mods and this issue becomes moot.

Size mods are pretty much the same thing as range mods; both represent how much of what's in front of you is taken up by the cross-section of your target. So, yeah.

I was going to say something about how, if you're firing at a building from six feet away, it's not going to make much of a difference whether it's the broad side of a barn or the Astrodome (point being maybe there should be an upper limit to bonuses from size)... but at that point, your OCV will be high enough that either size mod is still in auto-hit territory (so, there doesn't need to be an upper limit).

I miss the 3rd Edition version of Growth. Levels of Growth affected the Range Mods others took to shoot you, but didnt affect your DCV at all. (To demonstrate this, picture yourself as a 12 foot tall giant, facing a 6 foot tall Knight. The Knight moves in to hand to hand range and tries to take a swing at you with his sword. You simply take a step back, and hes missed you, meaning your hand to hand DCV is no different against him than against someone your own size. His friend, the Archer, then tries to shoot you. As you are twice the size of his usual targets, he can hit you from about twice as far away with accuracy).

I honestly feel that changing Growth from that set-up was a "lowest common denominator" compromise that damaged the playability of the Power.