Algernon Files for HERO review is up on RPG.net

OddHat

An excellent resource for Superhero games, featuring allies, enemies, vehicles, bases, modular enough to fit into existing campaigns and campaign worlds and with a setting detailed enough to stand on its own. Highly recommended.

For the full review:

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12813.phtml

One caution I'd add for buyers is that some of the builds are mechanically questionable under 5thER. The errors won't make much of a difference in play, would be a good idea to go over characters carefully before letting them be used as templates for your own PCs or NPCs.

Re: Algernon Files for HERO review is up on RPG.net

It may sound heretical, but I consider those differences something of a plus. I have nothing but respect for Steve Long as a game designer and writer, but Hero Games's 5E stuff is (understandably) dominated by his vision of how the game should be. I find it refreshing to see an alternate viewpoint and approach once in a while. :)

It may sound heretical' date=' but I consider those differences something of a plus. I have nothing but respect for Steve Long as a game designer and writer, but Hero Games's 5E stuff is (understandably) dominated by his vision of how the game should be. I find it refreshing to see an alternate viewpoint and approach once in a while. :)[/quote']

Well, I'm not really talking point totals or even special effects. The AF Universe seems to call for high power heroes, but that's a good thing and I like it. I'm more referring to things like Armor Piercing on PRE, which means nothing now that PRE Defense has been replaced with extra PRE purchased with a limitation, or Transdimensional on Desolidification, which again doesn't do much of anything. There are many other minor build hiccups here and there.

Note that this doesn't detract from the overall excellent quality of the characters or product; it's just something a GM should keep in mind.

Ah, I see what you're getting at. I admit I was a little disconcerted when I picked up The Fires of War and noticed several Automatons with EGO scores.

Still, some of those builds, like Armor Piercing PRE, may relate to how the authors chose to interpret how to run those abilities. But you're right, the differences should be noted.