New Power Advantage Idea

RadeFox

Something I came up with talking with Xandar about our current game, there is no power that suitably emulates gas effect weaponry or spells. So I came up with the following idea, and thought I would post it here for discussion and polishing ideas from you all.

Gas Effect- A.O.E/Duration Mod (+1 1/2(?))

The power under this effect will affect a radius of hexes much like the normal explosion AOE modifier, but on the first segment of activation would only affect the Target Hex, each segment thereafter the effect spreads out 1 hex in a radius pattern, until its full AOE is reached (would be the same as normal Explosion). On the next segment after maximum area is covered, the radius of the power drops by 1 hex each segment until it again only effects the Target Hex, and on the next segment fades completely. While the effects are covering a given area, anyone inside the area of effect or passing through is subject to the full effect of the power, akin to a persistant effect.

Thanks for the feedback in advance!

:)

ps- I posted this by accidnet in the questions area, where only Steve could reply. Oops! I reposted here so I could generate some discussion.

Impressive. Seems well thought out, and fills a rules gap. Keep posting here, buddy!

I might handle it just a little differently, only because it might be a bit complicated combining aspects of both Explosion and AoE. AoE of an Explosion is kind of a nebulous area. Also, a really big Gas Attack (we also need a more generic name: it's actually a variant of Explosion - Gas Explosion? Sounds like a power The Spleen would have).

Anyway, I'd have it start out as an Explosion that loses 3 DC per hex on the first segment; 2 DC per hex after the next Phase, and 1 DC per hex for a Turn, then fade the same way. Or something like that. That would allow a large attack to cover more area with its initial burst. You'd also have to define a way to disperse it (wind powers would be typical). It sounds like a +1 Advantage.

Needs some fine-tuning, as usual, but that's the approach I'd take.

I chose to go with the expanding cloud, rather then the "lose dc per hex/per segment" to portray the way that gas usually doesnt immediatley fill its AOE. And this gives targets a chance to run out of the AOE/dodge out of the epicenter, etc.

I could also see two different versions, one in which the power effect is stable and full effect throughout the AOE (say 4d6 everywhere), and one which is lessened each hex out in the radius as a normal explosion. This could represent a better and worse dispersion levels. The full effect would be the 1 1/2 mod, and the lose dc per radius one might be just +1. Ideas?

The Wind powers dispersion is a good "built-in" limitation, I had pretty much the same idea in mind. To avoid this or represent a non-wind affected power would be a +1/4 advantage?

This type of power advantage could also be applied to things like Flamers (from Warhammer 40K or SpaceHulk), where it could be used as a temporary area damage-barrier. That isn't perfect, but feels more natural and realistic then a straight AOE/persistant effect from a weapon. :D

That's an excellent idea -- it's not something I've had to deal with so far, but now that you've opened the can of worms...

This could also be used to simulate the "creeping bombardment" effect, in which the AOE doesn't just spread out in all directions, but rather moves along a predetermined path, dissipating (or disappearing) when it reaches the end of the path. As an extra fillip, the "creep" could be defined as controlled or uncontrolled -- a controlled creep could be used to chase targets.

I'm not sure how to cost such an effect though. It's powerful, but not as powerful as simply increasing the size of the AOE to incorporate the entire path. The length of the path, the rate at which it creeps, and of course the controllability of the creep would all have to be factored into the equation.

Cool

The creep effect does sound cool, but Im not sure how to cost it either. Building it would be a bit different too. Since you'd want a small radius intial (rather then a slowly expanding one)AOE, that would then slide in one direction, say 1 hex per segment.

Creeping AOE/Duration- (+1 1/2)??

Initial Radius, 1 hex per 10 AP, with full effect within the AOE. (Psuedo persistant)

Entire AOE radius moves at a rate of 1 hex per segment away from the user.

(+1/4 Advatange, control the direction of the creep)

Power effects last one segment per 10 AP as well (??I'd say 1 per 5, but with the 1 1/2 advanatge it would be forever. :P )

This could be a flowing mass of hot plasma gas, or a flaming oil slick sliding down a sloping passage. Im sure we could come up with many more uses!

Re: Cool

Originally posted by RadeFox

This could be a flowing mass of hot plasma gas, or a flaming oil slick sliding down a sloping passage. Im sure we could come up with many more uses!

Like.... a can of worms :)

Now I have to go and write up stats for a Fleshworm Catapult.

Originally posted by Mentor

Great effect. I think you have the cost about right. I intend to try it out at any rate. You really are a Game Guru.

Oh, isn't that just great, RadeFox! Just what my lightly defended MA needed: another type of area effect attack. And now you've gone and given one of my fellow GMs the idea. Thanks a lot. ;)

Well, instead of delayed effect, why not gradual effect?

The gas takes time to spread, which could be viewed as a disadvantage as opposed to an advantage.

You would divide to area convered by the gradual effect time frame to get the rate of spread.

You could do something like that D-man, but the power mod's above kinda give you a combined AOE and Duration of Effect to the power in one shot. If you did it with the gradual effect limit, then you'd have to also add in a limited persistant duration to the power. My guess, is the points

should come out to be the very near the same, either way. Which is as it should be. :cool:

As for the poor, lightly defended MA pajama boy (:P ), He should have little to fear from either version of this power mod, since you could likely jump well out of the AOE, or at the very least, be fast enough with SPD to out run it. Or so I should hope!!

Originally posted by RadeFox

I chose to go with the expanding cloud, rather then the "lose dc per hex/per segment" to portray the way that gas usually doesnt immediatley fill its AOE. And this gives targets a chance to run out of the AOE/dodge out of the epicenter, etc.

I was thinking that a really large attack would be able to fill a small area immediately. My notion was to set the drop-off of effect from the Explosion so extreme at first that only a very large attack would effectively be more than one hex at first.

But I don't think I expressed it well. I was thinking of some pretty small attacks.

Suppose we set it at an initial drop of -5 DC per hex. With an Advantage that size, plus it probably being NND, you're probably looking at about an attack of 4-8 DC, tops.

Maybe my way is a little too complex, but it does allow for really powerful attacks not to be confined to one hex.

I could also see two different versions, one in which the power effect is stable and full effect throughout the AOE (say 4d6 everywhere), and one which is lessened each hex out in the radius as a normal explosion. This could represent a better and worse dispersion

I was thinking ot a tear-gas grenade, which would be worse the closer you get to its source.

Again, I may be overthinking this (not ME! That NEVER happens!) ;)

The Wind powers dispersion is a good "built-in" limitation, I had pretty much the same idea in mind. To avoid this or represent a non-wind affected power would be a +1/4 advantage?

Whatever the rules are for a Continuous Power like this. I believe that you have to have a "reasonably common" way to negate it