Thoughts on Solara, version 2.0

Mark Rand

Yes, I'm still giving some thought to her.

In concept, she's a magical girl whose secret identity is a skinny guy who wears glasses and is the reincarnation of a heroine named Solara who lived ages ago and in an alternate reality.

Said young man is a drama student and has, occasionally, been cast in female roles in school plays. He found the item that triggers the transformation one day while looking for costume pieces in a second-hand store.

Although he was spooked by the transformation, his mother, who has seen a lot, wasn't.

• 1 month later...

Re: Thoughts on Solara, version 2.0

I suspect that Solara's alter ego is somewhat androgynous ninth grader.

I'm going to use a Sailor Moon-style costume for Solara because it looks like something a superheroine might wear.

I'm not sure what his martial arts style it, but he can use it, and Solara's magic, when he's transformed.

His mother probably is the nurse at his high school and has had some experience working in a level-one trauma center.

Could you post a Character write-up?

It'd be easier to understand the concept you are trying to convey if we knew the baseline Characteristics, skills, and powers used.

TB

I'll post one in the near future. Right now, I'm trying to get my new (used) laptop computer loaded with what I want on it.

Solara will be, occasionally, involved with IST San Angelo

Her alter ego is Tim Clark. He attends Taylor Allderdice High School. It's colors are green and white and the mascot is the dragon. The real Taylor Allderdice, which is in Pittsburgh, is my alma mater. It's URL is http://allderdicehs.pghboe.net.

Tim's mom, Ruth, usually wears ceil blue scrubs. However, she wears a white uniform and cap on Halloween.

Due to the city's old west heritage, each year Allderdice has an Old West Heritage Week. Wearing of Western garb, including gloves, masks, and replice weapons, is encouraged.

Tim and his mother worship at the Tree of Life Congregation, a nearby synagogue, which is also close to UC San Angelo, the Wells Planetarium (which is on the UC San Angelo campus), and IST San Angelo.

UC San Angelo is based on UCLA. The URL is http://www.ucla.edu.

The Wells Planetarium is based on Pittsburgh's old Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science (later the Buhl Science Center). The URL is http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com. The planetarium's old Zeiss Mark II projector, Jake, has been refurbished and is raised to the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The church and synagogue both resemble The First United Methodist Church of Wichita, Kansas. Their URL is http://www.firstwichita.org.

Due to the city's old west heritage, each year Allderdice has an Old West Heritage Week. Wearing of Western garb, including gloves, masks, and replice weapons, is encouraged.

Wait...what? When did Pennsylvania get retconned into part of the old West?

Although he was spooked by the transformation' date=' his mother, who has seen a lot, wasn't.[/quote']

Try this on for size: the reason she wasn't spooked by it is because, unbeknownst to him, she was expecting it, or otherwise knew it was coming.

Try this on for size: the reason she wasn't spooked by it is because' date=' unbeknownst to him, she was expecting it, or otherwise knew it was coming.[/quote']

The idea I had was that Ruth, being in her 40s, and having seen a lot, is virtually panic-proof.

Try this on for size: the reason she wasn't spooked by it is because' date=' unbeknownst to him, she was expecting it, or otherwise knew it was coming.[/quote']

Going with this, Ruth could be either clairvoyant, a retired mage, or a witch.

The Tree of Life Congregation has a nesting box for peregrine falcons on the roof. The two falcons that nest there, Ike and Tina, are usec to the synagogue's sexton coming onto the roof to make repairs or pickup the pigeon bones they leave behind.

Ike and Tina often fly over Allderdice Field and enjoy eating the pigeons that gather there. Just before one home football game, Ike and Tina landed on the scoreboard. As usual, the pigeons were on the ground. When the teams game onto the field, most of the pigeons scattered. Ike caught one of them.

The one pigeon that didn't scatter, sat beside the ball, which was on a kicking tee. The kicker accidently booted the bird instead of the ball. Tina caught the pigeon in mid-flight.

Originally, I was going to have Doctor Arcane occasionally help or advise Solara. I'm going to replace him with three young sisters who are witches. The sisters work in secret with only two police officers knowing about them.

These sisters are compasionate, good at protecting the good and, above all, Charmed.