limitation: Real Weapon -1/4?

I see this limitation often in the examples but I haven't been able to find it in FRED. What's the deal? What exactly does it mean "Real Weapon"? How are the other weapons not real? How come the example Bow & Arrow doesn't take it? In what way is it limiting other than being descriptive?

Perhaps its' part of some other limitation but I didn't see it. Can anyone help me find it or give a definition of the actual limitation? I am not sure beyond "focus" and "independent" you would really need to define here.

Damn good question. To me it meant that the device was based on some form of believable science for the genre (no laser pistols in modern detective fiction or 9mils in fantasy etc.... This doesn't mean that you can't have one with GM permission - remember the Warlord - just that you got no bonus), had mass (more damage potential resulting in larger mass and size - more dificult to conceal for one), took time to draw and aim and was hampered by poor weather/environmental (won't shoot when wet etc...) conditions. General inconveniences caused by the "real world" nature of the weapon.

The actual description of this Limitation is on p. 328 of FREd (whenever looking for some datum in the Great Tome, your mantra should be, "The Index is my friend.") ;)

Essentially it means that the weapon is subject to the limits that weapons would be in the real world: you have to devote time to sharpening blades lest they wear too dull to cut, to cleaning and oiling guns to prevent them from jamming, etc. Also, as Snarf pointed out, the weapon may be unable to cause damage under certain circumstances when it should based on the game mechanics of its design, because a real-world weapon of that type wouldn't be able to.

The description of the Lim in FREd is pretty general, leaving it to the GM to decide when and how to apply it. You could certainly come up with your own precise guidelines should you wish, or ask other posters for suggestions - I've seen a few people describe how they handle it.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

(whenever looking for some datum in the Great Tome, your mantra should be, "The Index is my friend.") ;)

Unlike some gamesystems I could mention.....

All hail having Steve have 10 points in legal skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!