New Mechanic: Universal Framework

schir1964

Universal Framework

A Universal Framework is a collection of powers that share a pool of points called a Reserve which they drawn upon. The collection of powers usually share a theme however loosely defined.

Powers are added to the Framework by purchasing various slots that help define the power's maximum active points, cost formula, and use within the framework.

Slots

• Single: A slot that may contain a single power, with advantages and limitations, within a single power effect.
    • Static Slot: The active points of the slot are considered active even if the power is not used as full effect.
      Cost Formula: (Active Points / 10) / (1 + Limitations)
    • Fluid Slot: Only the active points of the power in use are considered active.
      Cost Formula: (Active Points / 5) / (1 + Limitations)

[*]Narrow: A slot that may contain several powers, with advantages and limitations, within a tightly defined power effect.

• Static Slot: The active points of the slot are considered active even if the power is not used as full effect.
      Cost Formula: (Active Points / 5) / (1 + Limitations)
      Cost Formula: (Active Points / 3) / (1 + Limitations)

[*]Broad: A slot that may contain powers, with advantages and limitations, within a broadly defined power effect.

Cost Formula: (Active Points / 3) / (1 + Limitations)
      Cost Formula: (Active Points / 2) / (1 + Limitations)

Reserve Cost: 1 Point Per 1 Active Point

Slot Cost: 2 Points Per 1 Active Point

Concepts developed by Doc Democracy and Zornwil.

Reposted here for easy reference.

- Christopher Mullins

Re: New Mechanic: Universal Framework

It came originally from Zornwil. He was looking at putting more coherence to the system and I had a rush of blood to the brain that added to the original thoughts.

Christopher has put it very succinctly.

By power effect you are talking about Power Armour, Flame Powers etc etc.

you should be able to replicate those things that you used to build using the other three power frameworks but it puts a bit more of a limit on cosmic power pools...a downside a didn't see a work around to and something that I didn't see in practice anyway (most cosmic VPPs that I saw, the player had lots of pre-written powers and not a huge amount was done on the fly (all of which could be covered by one or two broad, fluid slots.

As indicated though - neither Zornwil or myself consider it a finished product and it is sorely lacking in playtesting.

Re: New Mechanic: Universal Framework

The percieved problem is probably best outlined in the threads Zornwil and myself rambled on at length but essentially to remove the various frameworks and have them rolled into one coherent whole - it should make the system more accessible to new players - old players dont really care - they can use what's there, the learning curve scaled long ago.

It should do everything the extant frameworks can and provide a coherent framework for framework powers - a better guide as to what to use when and easier to see what is the best way to structure your powers. Too many newcomers to the game see frameworks as the bit of the game where experienced players gain over newcomers as they know all of the exploits to get more bang for their buck.

It should also avoid the problems of having to have a series of frameworks to reflect a power effect.

As for the definitions - we were still working toward them but something like

single power effect: laser bolt (EB with variety of advantages/disadvantages)

narrow power effect: light projection (EB, RKA, Flash etc)

broad power effect: light manipulation (EB, RKA, Flash, Images, darkness etc)

There was more stuff but I kinda forget. Check out the threads when I was still actively thinking about this....

Universal Framework Proposition

Polishing the Hero System (especially Zornwil's post)

& possibly the Power Construction - theoretical question thread.

Now that's a lot to read - quite interesting if you want to think hard about frameworks but pointless if neither Zornwil or myself are actively pushing at it just now.

However if someone else wants to have a look and take the next step, please feel free - I am still theoretically interested just not practically got the time to do the legwork.

Doc