New to HERO

needo

Originally posted by Steve Long

We have one of the friendliest and most enthusiastic gaming communities around

Too enthusiastic sometimes. Be wary of the Non-Gaming Discussion unless you have thick skin or actually like reading flame wars.

As for a startup I'd like to add one note about character creation:

Keeping things simple applies tot he players too.

Try and get them to start off with characters like the original X-Men. Stuff like "I fire energy bolts from my eyes", "I have wings" and I'm really strong, yet agile" are much easier to get a grip on the game with than "I am a polymorphic metal cyber assassin armed with a gun for every occasion" or "I'm an immortal just like in Highlander". With this in mind expect players to want to do a bit of redesign or replace their character and let them as they get a better handle on what works and what doesn't (in terms of personal preference and game mechanics).

Oh. And when someone asks about it, because someone will eventually, "Battle Armour Powers" is not by itself a valid elemental control.

I suppose you could take a 1d6 BOD drain (average 2 BOD) linked to a 2d6 STUN drain (average 7 Stun), make them both Ranged, and Limit them to be defended by ED (or PD - depends on your special effect) and create the effect of a 2d6 EB. Although it would be more lethal, as it would take 2 DEF to block 1 BOD damage, since every BOD is 2 character points.

hmmm...I'll have to price that out sometime. I can't imagine it's cheaper than an EB. The ranged Hand Attack was (3pts/die x 1.5 for Range = 9 points for 2 dice). But that's fixed now.