Jury-Rigging

Steve

One of the players in my Traveller campaign wants to be really good at jury-rigging repairs under difficult circumstances, sort of the "Scotty Effect."

The idea I can come up with to simulate that using a skill-basis is to use Penalty Skill Levels combined with skills like Mechanics and Electronics. Here are some examples I thought of.

"You've got five minutes to get that jump drive running, not an hour" = PSLs vs. Taking Less Time Than Required

"We don't have the parts" = PSLs vs Lack of Parts/Technical Gear

I'm not sure how deep to take this. Are there other methods that anyone can suggest? I'm trying to keep things on a Skill/Super-Skill/Talent level.

Re: Jury-Rigging

One of the players in my Traveller campaign wants to be really good at jury-rigging repairs under difficult circumstances, sort of the "Scotty Effect."

The idea I can come up with to simulate that using a skill-basis is to use Penalty Skill Levels combined with skills like Mechanics and Electronics. Here are some examples I thought of.

"You've got five minutes to get that jump drive running, not an hour" = PSLs vs. Taking Less Time Than Required

"We don't have the parts" = PSLs vs Lack of Parts/Technical Gear

I'm not sure how deep to take this. Are there other methods that anyone can suggest? I'm trying to keep things on a Skill/Super-Skill/Talent level.

Both of those sound great.

I'd probably just top it off with a Power Skill (like Gadgeteering) for performing "power stunts"

I don't think that would be a problem. The penalties are not integral to the maneuver/skill so I believe that PSLs should work.

If we were talking about regular Skill Levels, I'd use the 5 pters (a group of similar skills). PSLs don't break down very well, so I'd probably go with the tight group.

My only concern is that I'm still not quite sure where PSLs are usefull. Can you use PSLs for non-combat related things? HD seems to want to specify and force you into assigning PSLs to combat related skills/maneuvers.

Anyone seen anything in the FAQ etc regarding non-combat PSL usage?

I don't think that would be a problem. The penalties are not integral to the maneuver/skill so I believe that PSLs should work.

If we were talking about regular Skill Levels, I'd use the 5 pters (a group of similar skills). PSLs don't break down very well, so I'd probably go with the tight group.

My only concern is that I'm still not quite sure where PSLs are usefull. Can you use PSLs for non-combat related things? HD seems to want to specify and force you into assigning PSLs to combat related skills/maneuvers.

Anyone seen anything in the FAQ etc regarding non-combat PSL usage?

non-Combat PSLs are actually covered in The Ultimate Skill as an optional use for them.

Personally I think it's a natural extension and am surprised the idea wasn't part of the core rules.

Another thing I would add (on top of the PSL's) is inventor. Not really inventing new things' date=' but inventing new ways to use old things to get around the "Don't have the right parts" problems.[/quote']

Hmmm... I'll have to check the math to see if it's worth it, but I wonder if buying PSLs with a Required Skill Roll (Inventor) might be the way to go? You'd be using inventing to get around problems creatively.

non-Combat PSLs are actually covered in The Ultimate Skill as an optional use for them.

Personally I think it's a natural extension and am surprised the idea wasn't part of the core rules.

Ah, that explains it. I borrowed it for a week or so and paged through it but didn't actually READ it all the way through. Good to know its in there.

I had a super-engineer in a Firefly game, that alas died aborning, but he might help. Carson's abilities are very kit-bashed out though, rather than power stunty. Slot 3 of the EC sounds like what you were asking about.

Carson Reyes

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

14 DEX 12

14 CON 8

11 BODY 2

25 INT 20

10 EGO 0

10 PRE 0

12 COM 1

6 PD 3

3 ED 0

3 SPD 6

6 REC 0

28 END 0

26 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

3" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 57

Cost Power END

5 Miracle Engineering: Elemental Control, 40-point powers, (20 Active Points); all slots Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only works on vehicles/machinery; -1), Requires An Appropriate SS Roll (-1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Conditional Power Power does not work in Common Circumstances (May only use in immaculate conditions; -1/2)

5 1) Vastly Improved Efficiency: Aid All mechanical characteristics 1d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Hour; +1), all [special effect] powers simultaneously (+2) (40 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only works on vehicles/machinery; -1), Requires An Appropriate SS Roll (-1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Requires access to the engine room; -1/4) 0

4 2) Restored to Pristine Condition: Aid DEF, BODY 1d6, Can Add Maximum Of 39 Points, DEF, BODY simultaneously (+1/2) (40 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only works on vehicles/machinery; -1), Only Restores to Starting Values (-1/2), Requires An Appropriate SS Roll (-1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Conditional Power Power does not work in Common Circumstances (May only use in immaculate conditions; -1/2) 0

4 3) Salvageable with a Little Work: Minor Transform 3d6+1 (Broken part into functioning one), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (49 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, -3), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only works on vehicles/machinery; -1), All Or Nothing (-1/2), Requires An Appropriate SS Roll (-1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Conditional Power Power does not work in Common Circumstances (May only use in immaculate conditions; -1/2) 0

Powers Cost: 18

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Shaolin ch'uan-fa

5 Defensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, 3d6 Strike

4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 5d6 Strike

Martial Arts Cost: 17

Cost Skill

10 Computer Programming (Computer Networks, Hacking and Computer Security, Personal Computers, Mainframes and Supercomputers, Military Computers) 14-

7 Electronics (Communications Systems, Environmental Systems, Air/Space Traffic Control Systems, FTL Sensors, Sensor Jamming Equipment) 14-

3 Mechanics 14-

3 SS: Aerospace Engineering 14-

3 SS: Drive Mechanics 14-

3 SS: Gravitics 14-

3 Security Systems 14-

7 Systems Operation (Communications Systems, Environmental Systems, Air/Space Traffic Control Systems, FTL Sensors, Sensor Jamming Equipment) 14-

4 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Science Fiction & Space Vehicles

15 +6 with all INT skills (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only in immaculate conditions; -1)

Skills Cost: 58

Total Character Cost: 150

Val Disadvantages

0 Normal Characteristic Maxima

Disadvantage Points: 0

Base Points: 75

Experience Required: 75

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0