Musing on D&D spellcasting conversion

pawsplay

Re: Musing on D&D spellcasting conversion

I never paid much attention to Trigger before. It seems like it could be even more abusive than Delayed Effect in the context of my previous post.

Is there anything stopping me from loading Concentration (0 DCV, -½), Increased END (END x3, -1), Extra Time (1 Minute, -1½), Gestures (-¼) and Incantations (-¼) on a power, then adding Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates)? If I understand correctly, I would not need to recast the spell ever so I would increase Increased END and Extra Time.

Trigger also looks like a good way around the problem of Ultra slots in a Multipower with Offensive and Defensive powers.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the default condition in first edition Fantasy Hero, and IIRC used in second edition FH as well (under 4th edition Hero). In first edition, it applied to all spells, whether you had Delayed Effect or not. Then again, first edition provided its own default magic system, with little to no guidance on customizing it (not that that stopped some of us).

And a big good riddance to previous default magic systems, a concept wisely dispensed with.

Sure, there's nothing that says you have to use it, even if you use Delayed Effect.

Then why did you bring it up as if it were a salient point? Im really not grokking what position you are arguing the merits of Delayed Effect from.

I never paid much attention to Trigger before. It seems like it could be even more abusive than Delayed Effect in the context of my previous post.

Is there anything stopping me from loading Concentration (0 DCV, -½), Increased END (END x3, -1), Extra Time (1 Minute, -1½), Gestures (-¼) and Incantations (-¼) on a power, then adding Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates)? If I understand correctly, I would not need to recast the spell ever so I would increase Increased END and Extra Time.

It depends on what limits the GM sets on the lifespan of Triggers. Personally, I set them to expire and need to be reset at the beginning of each day (or each 24 hours, depending on how much book keeping I want to involve in tracking when things were cast).

Triggered effects can also be dispelled, and they wont auto-reset from that.

Trigger also looks like a good way around the problem of Ultra slots in a Multipower with Offensive and Defensive powers.

Yes, to an extent they can be used in this fashion if the GM allows it.

It depends on what limits the GM sets on the lifespan of Triggers.

Man you are quick. Once again, thank you for your insight. I will just have to mark Trigger as a Stop Sign Advantage and keep a closer eye on them. I do think this opens up the Ultra Slot issue in a good way.