Character Jericho for review

Ndreare

Hey all I just wanted to post a character to get your opinions. Would you allow him in a game of yours? If so what would you change? If not what would you change?P.S.: I know his CV is low but that represents his lack of experience with his powers & if you’re a person who just plain out laws V.P.P. then on that particular thing I will admit that I am not compromising as in our games they are encouraged as about the only way to simulate what most comic characters do with their powers.JerichoPlayer: Robert Towell

Val Char Cost
12 STR 2
18 DEX 24
20 CON 20
12 BODY 4
13 INT 3
19 EGO 18
30 PRE 20
16 COM 3
5/15 PD 3
5/15 ED 1
4 SPD 12
10 REC 8
40 END 0
28 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM02" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 118
Cost Power END
32 Dimensional Awareness : Spatial Awareness (Refer to FAQ) (Analyze, Discriminatory)
17 Cosmic Energy Containment: Endurance Reserve (150 END, 5 REC) Reserve: (20 Active Points) REC: (5 Active Points); Slow Recovery 5 Minutes (-1), Not In Heroic Identity (-1/4) [Notes: While in Hero ID All things come from reserve]
40 Dimensional Form: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED), Cost END per Minute (+1/2), Hardened (x2; +1/2) (40 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 4
120 Dimensional / Cosmic Energy Control: Variable Power Pool (Restricted to powers from USPDB (-0)), 65 base + 55 control cost, Cosmic (+2) (162 Active Points); Costs Endurance To Change (-1/2), Linked to Dimensional Form (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 209
Cost Skill
3 Bureaucratics 15-
2 PS: Atorney 11-
3 Creative Power Use (INT-based) 12-
3 Computer Programming 12-
3 High Society 15-
0 Language: English (Idiomatic, native accent; Native Language)
3 Language: French (fluent conversation; literate)
0 CK: Ontario 8-
3 Scholar
1 1) KS: Law (2 Active Points) 11-
1 2) KS: Parahuman Law (2 Active Points) 11-
1 3) KS: The Superhuman World (2 Active Points) 11-
Skills Cost: 23
Val Disadvantages
5 Distinctive Features: Heavily Publicized Face (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 Hunted: Media Outlets 14- (Less Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find)
25 Hunted: Para Human Control Agencies 14- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find)
25 Hunted: VIPER 8- (Occasionally), More Powerful, Capture, Extensive Non-Combat Influence, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find
5 Money: Poor
20 Psychological Limitation: Guilt (Common; Total)
25 Psychological Limitation: Must be a HERO (Very Common; Total)
10 Reputation: Jericho the man who used his powers to kill 8- (Extreme)
15 Social Limitation: Very Public ID (Very Frequently; Minor)
10 Social Limitation: Convicted Felon (Others don't understand he was pardoned) (Occasionally; Major)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Pre Attacks From Women (Uncommon)
Disadvantage Points: 165

Base Points: 185Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 9Experience Unspent: 9Total Character Cost: 350

Height: 5' 9" Hair: Raven
Weight: 165 lbs Eyes: Brown
Appearance: As Jericho he is a well built man of middle height in his early 20?s with raven black hair, brown eyes and a demeanor that screams limitless. Almost always dressed in modest clothes Jericho has no money for good clothes and as such the only nice things he owns are illusions or manifestations of his powers.

While in his hero form Jericho surrounds himself in a force field that only adds to his already boundless presence. Looking at him for two long can be disorienting as the corona that surrounds him fluctuates with time.

Personality: Guilt stricken Jericho spends all of his spare time trouble shooting and looking to help others. This manifest in such a powerful manner he will go out of his way to help any one even people he sees as bad. (This does not protect super villains as he sees every one of them as nothing more than bullies picking on the week to gain a foot hold.)Quote:"I won't let them down, I have already failed once and I can?t do it again."Background: Jericho was born it Saudi Arabia to a wealthy Canadian oil tycoon. Growing up he had it all, money,education, culture and even sex. Then it all came crashing down during the second gulf war the Actinmyers lost a fortune followed by a hostile take over of the company. suddenly this 16 year old who's every wish was made real found that he could not order so much as a hamburger with out having to prove he had money first. The stress was too much he cracked. In the accident that followed as his powers manifested 2 people were killed and 24 were seriously injured. Jericho was guilt stricken he pled guilty to manslaughter and haply went to prison expecting to die there. Then he was pardoned. You see a young parole officer named Kathy Nashfinder had found his case to be a gross mistake and brought it to the attention of her father in law "Dwayne Jacobson" the Prime minister of Canada at the time so he pardoned Jericho Actinmyer. Jericho fought the pardoned convinced he was a danger to every one and every thing around him. However the law was clear once pardoned of a crime the defendant could no longer be held on that charge and so it is that Jericho decided to move to "America" and become a "Superhero" to this day Jericho still feels guilty and tries everything is his power to gain redemption not knowing the only true redemption is inside of himself.Powers/Tactics: Jericho?s powers seem to be primarily some from of illusion/manipulation powers and the UNTIL scientist spend alot of time having him do stunts for them. As yet they are primarily under developed and unfocused. As he grows, more definition and new ceilings will be discovered.Campaign Use: 

Based on Description

Based on the description you gave of hero form maybe add a small dex drain (vertigo) only vs targets looking at character for a turn or more.

Personally I would like more info on the VPP.

Is it basically creating an objext with abilities related to the object.

example create a large hammer and give it EB or HA indirect?

Would I allow this guy into my campaign? Sure I would. Granted, he'd find himself as the 'gofer' of the group -- go fer coffee, go fer donuts, go fer a widget in Japan, whatever. Sure, he's Impressive As All Get-Out with that 30 PRE, but when you boil it down, you spent 209 points on Powers, while you spent only 23 points on skills, perks, and other non-attribute stuff -- to do things he's not even particularly good at. If he was a lawyer, he wasn't a good one; if that's what he picked up by 'being in the system', then that's okay, but even then, he needs more than that. Right now he's simply meat for the beast.

Besides, why did he move to the US? Do supervillans actually pay attention to border crossings and immigration law?? His background ... leaves much to be desired, and has several flaws of logic (both real and game-world) that I itch to correct...

I like the idea of the veritigo being bought as a dex drain instead of high presence. As for more info on the V.P.P. I limited his V.P.P. to the powers listed in the USPD under diminsional and cosmic energy powers I simply did not think that that was enough to merit a limitation.

Na he is not a lawer he only read and studied law in prison.

A for the lack of skills that is part of the idea most of the time a person would spend builing skills he spent doing nothing or lifting weights.

He was built to be a suport chraracter more so than a primary hero. As he is posted is a rough draft from some ideas I was talking to a friend about. So he will be finished and fleshed out.

Wyrm Ouroboros: His background ... leaves much to be desired, and has several flaws of logic (both real and game-world) that I itch to correct...

What corrections would you make? Afetr all to just say "This is bad" but not give reasons or ideas to fix it is not constructive.

But I think you are correct in that he could use more skills. However something to consider is are these skills you think he need things that a person would have learned in his situation? Alot of people could have ten to twenty skills but I believe more would only have the barest of skills out side their profesion.

'PS: Lawyer' tends to suggest he's, well, a lawyer. Granted, you didn't give him the 1-point Perk 'License to Practice', but ...

Originally posted by Ndreare

Jericho was born it Saudi Arabia to a wealthy Canadian oil tycoon. Growing up he had it all, money,education, culture and even sex. Then it all came crashing down during the second gulf war the Actinmyers lost a fortune followed by a hostile take over of the company. suddenly this 16 year old who's every wish was made real found that he could not order so much as a hamburger with out having to prove he had money first. The stress was too much he cracked. In the accident that followed as his powers manifested 2 people were killed and 24 were seriously injured. Jericho was guilt stricken he pled guilty to manslaughter and haply went to prison expecting to die there. Then he was pardoned. You see a young parole officer named Kathy Nashfinder had found his case to be a gross mistake and brought it to the attention of her father in law "Dwayne Jacobson" the Prime minister of Canada at the time so he pardoned Jericho Actinmyer. Jericho fought the pardoned convinced he was a danger to every one and every thing around him. However the law was clear once pardoned of a crime the defendant could no longer be held on that charge and so it is that Jericho decided to move to "America" and become a "Superhero" to this day Jericho still feels guilty and tries everything is his power to gain redemption not knowing the only true redemption is inside of himself.

Born in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, the young man who would become known as Jericho was born to Muslim parents of Canadian nationality. Interfacing between their homeland and the Princes of the Sand, both of Jericho's parents worked in influential, high-paying jobs -- his father an economic attache' for the Canadian government, his mother a computer analyst heading her own 'small' corporation that designed and refined entire networks for Saudi oil magnates. Dual citizenship was the young boy's birthright, a gift his parents were glad to indulge him in; three or four months of every year were spent in Canada, while the rest of the time he lived in Riyadh.

When he was sixteen years old, however, Jericho's father was kidnapped for ransom; unaware of how these things can sometimes work, Jericho contacted certain members of a different militant Islamic faction, one which opposed those that took his father. His hoped-for rescue backfired; his father was killed. As his mother dealt with the paperwork necessary to see his father returned to Canada, a horrified Jericho blurted out what he'd done to stunned embassy officials. In the three days of questioning that followed, his horror and remorse tore at him until he felt something inside him just tear.

The resultant detonation injured one hundred thirty-eight and killed sixteen -- one of which was his mother.

Orphaned in three days, both parents killed through his own actions, Jericho was heavily sedated and returned to Canada under the direct supervision of Department L. Despite a First-World media frenzy, the Canadian government managed to keep Jericho mostly 'under wraps' while a procession of Canada's finest paranormal psychologists visited him in the remote 'house' in which he lived. Only slowly did he come around, at first absolutely refusing to use 'the powers that killed (his) parents)', but eventually convinced that if he's ever to make amends, he will need to use those powers.

At current, the young man code-named Jericho works in a joint Canadian-American-Mexican task force that is trying to track down members of terrorist organizations within the North American continent. The Powered members of the task force are given considerable leeway as to their directions and (to an extent) their methods; the current task force Director, however, is a US Federal Agent (FBI) who does not take well to lack of success.

----------

I would adjust powers and skills (such as 'Language: Arabic') to suit, as well as tweaking the Perks (International Police Powers, perhaps?) and Disadvantages in order to fit to the background. I recommend a reduction in both EGO and PRE to reflect his general power-shyness, but give him additional Presence OIHID. I also recommend checking what you're linking to what; the Force Field should be Linked/OIHID to the VPP, not the other way around.

Originally posted by Wyrm Ouroboros

'PS: Lawyer' tends to suggest he's, well, a lawyer. Granted, you didn't give him the 1-point Perk 'License to Practice', but ...

I do like your version of the story. although I am not sure I will use it. The Idea that he is in the US originaly was that he wanted to be far away from home however I like the idea of him trying to work with the law to squash crime as an Ops member.

From my perspective if I go with your background he will need to have a lot more skills as real world law enforment trains there people I think super law enforcment would train them even better.

Just to chime in...

With the expense of a DEX-Drain applied as primarily a special effect, why not go with a Vertigo causing Change Enviro?

Apply a minor DEX/movement penalty. People stumbling around, unco-ordinated by his very presence.

Perhaps a point or two of INT penalty, for the tongue tied and intimidated...

Heh. I have more ideas.

Put decreased by range on a small one...then its only real impressive when you are cloe to him.

Or maybe gradual effect....the longer you are around him, the more lasting the effect of his presence.

"Only for an instant effect" DOES imply a different power.

Perhaps some advantage on his presence itself?

Well...I'll leave you to ponder...I must shower, shave, make breakfast, and take out the trash before I leave for my game.

Originally posted by Farkling

Heh. I have more ideas.

Put decreased by range on a small one...then its only real impressive when you are cloe to him.

Or maybe gradual effect....the longer you are around him, the more lasting the effect of his presence.

"Only for an instant effect" DOES imply a different power.

Perhaps some advantage on his presence itself?

Well...I'll leave you to ponder...I must shower, shave, make breakfast, and take out the trash before I leave for my game.

I like the gradual effect thing I wonder if I can pull it of with the points I have?