Focus Question

Here's the situation:

I'm creating a superhero character who has a small (30 pt.) Magic VPP. One of the main uses of this pool will be to make potions & scrolls for small, useful power boosts (say, 5/5 Armor, that sort of thing).

The intent is that to activate a scroll, he has to read it out loud. So, it looks like Focus (OAF) Incant to Start, 1 Continuing Charge (scroll blanks itself after use)

Here's the question: the effect (say for this it's Armor) should continue until the time runs out; if the scroll is snatched out of his hands *AFTER* he's read it, it doesn't do anything, since the effect is independent of the scroll once invoked.

This makes OAF look like the wrong way to go, since once invoked, it's more like OIF (the scroll did it, but you can't "take the power away" until he's unconcious [and the time thus runs out])

So...should the scroll be OIF instead of OAF? The problem with *this* approach is that it could be taken away from him *before* he uses it, quite easily: clearly an OAF situation.

Similar problems occur with potions; just substitute Gestures (drink potion) for Incant (read scroll).

Help?

Gestures and incantation only needed to start power are 1/4 less than those needed to sustain a power, so I would say Obvious Accessable Focus, only to activate continuous power (-3/4).

Of more concern to me is taking powers with Charges out of a VPP. If I was GM'ing, useing a item with one charge will reduce your pool by the real cost of the item until that charge can be recovered. Simular to "Losing Powers," FREd, p 210. Is this pool "powers change/recharge only between adventures"? If so, *does best attemp at Emily Latella impression* Oh! That's different. Never mind.

Originally posted by McCoy

Gestures and incantation only needed to start power are 1/4 less than those needed to sustain a power, so I would say Obvious Accessable Focus, only to activate continuous power (-3/4).

Of more concern to me is taking powers with Charges out of a VPP. If I was GM'ing, useing a item with one charge will reduce your pool by the real cost of the item until that charge can be recovered. Simular to "Losing Powers," FREd, p 210. Is this pool "powers change/recharge only between adventures"? If so, *does best attemp at Emily Latella impression* Oh! That's different. Never mind.

I agree. The potential for abuse is severe if the character could give out these potions and scrolls like candy.

The character in question has a 30-point Magic pool. He's not going to be giving ANYTHING out like candy. :)

He is, in fact, a semi-NPC in that I will be go-GMing with another person; he's the character I'll be running when I get to play.

He's mainly a scientist-type, but has a small amount of mystic abilities as well. Yes, at long last, I'm creating my ID Namesake: Dr. Anomaly!! :)

(I can think of few things as anomalous as someone who's a scientist AND a sorcerer!)

Out of my 350 points, I've sunk 84 in Characteristics and then an *ungodly* amount into Science & Knowledge Skills (24 of each kind [48 total] -- do the math yourself!) He's got a few Gadgets, but the little Magic pool is his "ace in the hole." As a science-based guy, I'm sorta hoping the Bad Guys won't be expecting magic-based effects...at least for the first few encounters, before word gets around.

And yes, a "charge" like a potion or scroll is expended until he has time & materials to re-create it in his "lab."

Originally posted by McCoy

My answer to this is slightly different: I allow charges but require them to be taken as Recoverable (Recovery is by reconfiguring the pool)

Originally posted by Dr. Anomaly

The character in question has a 30-point Magic pool. He's not going to be giving ANYTHING out like candy. :)

He is, in fact, a semi-NPC in that I will be go-GMing with another person; he's the character I'll be running when I get to play.

He's mainly a scientist-type, but has a small amount of mystic abilities as well. Yes, at long last, I'm creating my ID Namesake: Dr. Anomaly!! :)

(I can think of few things as anomalous as someone who's a scientist AND a sorcerer!)

Out of my 350 points, I've sunk 84 in Characteristics and then an *ungodly* amount into Science & Knowledge Skills (24 of each kind [48 total] -- do the math yourself!) He's got a few Gadgets, but the little Magic pool is his "ace in the hole." As a science-based guy, I'm sorta hoping the Bad Guys won't be expecting magic-based effects...at least for the first few encounters, before word gets around.

And yes, a "charge" like a potion or scroll is expended until he has time & materials to re-create it in his "lab."

I had a character like that. She was the immortal High Priestess of the god of knowledge, Thoth. Lots of magic and scientific skills (over 200 pts!). She had 40 Int (campaign max) and +6 to Int based skills OIF Books of Knowledge. :)

Gary, thanks for the idea! I do in fact have "+2 to all INT-based Skills" but I like the idea of also finding a few points for "+2 to all Knowledge Skills, OAF Bulky 'Tome of the Ancients' " that he keeps in the lab, or something like that.

You KNOW the type of book I mean: pages 3 feet x 2 feet, 10 inches thick, chained to a wrought-iron pedastle...that sort of thing! :)

Originally posted by Dr. Anomaly

Gary, thanks for the idea! I do in fact have "+2 to all INT-based Skills" but I like the idea of also finding a few points for "+2 to all Knowledge Skills, OAF Bulky 'Tome of the Ancients' " that he keeps in the lab, or something like that.

You KNOW the type of book I mean: pages 3 feet x 2 feet, 10 inches thick, chained to a wrought-iron pedastle...that sort of thing! :)

Alannah's Books of Knowledge could appear in any form she wanted them to. Normally they appeared as a huge papyrus scroll, but she also had them appear like the big bulky tome, as a brochure, and as a laptop among other things. She stashed them away in a pocket dimension normally, but pulled them as needed. That's why I made them OIF instead of OAF. :)

The books required an Int roll to get their bonus. After all, you had to know what you were looking for... :cool:

I figured something like that (the reason for OIF). I just like the idea of having to go back to the lab to look something up.

I also like the idea of needing an INT roll to be able to *access* the +x to subsequent rolls. Kinda reminds of of Captain Atlas from Golden Age Champions: Has Super-INT, but needs a "normal" INT roll to remember to *use* Super-INT instead of just smashing enemies with his Super-Fists! :cool:

If the scroll stops being a requirement for the power once it is read, then the power is effective Uncontrolled. It's not clear from the book/FAQ if Continuing Charge powers are inherently Uncontrolled or if you have to buy the Advantage.

That's how I'd go about building the power, though.