A Magic Sword as a HERO

RadeFox

Ok, I admit this is going to set of some cheese alarms, but its late, Im bored, and well, it sounded like fun to make. (Was made as an automaton, fyi) I'm also quite sure there are some glaring no-no's, as I dont have my copy of fred with me, atm. :P

The story of this blade dates back to the mythic era, when mages and dragons walked the lands, a time lost to pre-history and myth. The greatest knight of the era made a holy vow in a time of great evil in his land, that his spirit would never rest while evil walked the world. He commissioned the greatest blade ever seen, crafted from the heart of a fallen star, it weighed more then many men. It was ensorcelled with magic to make it light and fast, and be unbreakable and able to withstand any force known to man or dragon. Needless to say, the knight was squashed long before his quest was complete. The gods had heard his vow, and with their power placed his soul within his mighty blade. Sadly, these gods did not take note that the cause of his demise was that he died inside an erupting volcano, battling a demonic fire drake. The now sentient sword lay entombed in solidifed lava for eons, until one day the volcano erupted again.....Mt. Saint Helen to us, and the sword was freed once again to fight evil. Of course, it took him a few years of lying in a creek before he realized he was finally free and woke up fully. :D

** REWRITE POSTED BELOW **

I guess you'd call him/it a flying brick/MA. Just tossing him out here for fun and discussion.

Oh an his Flight is restrainable in that if someone grabs his hilt, the power cuts off, and he must succeed in a STR vs STR to wrest himself free, or else he could be wielded as a 4d6+ HKA blade, assuming someone strong enough to wield an 6400kg sword. heehee, Grond CUT you now!!! (Run!!!)

OK, nit picks first:

Shouldn't it weigh 800 kg (which is still a lot)? [And how come 5e says don't buy growth and shrinking always on, but density increase is OK?]

Back to the issues:

I like the concept (like other posters). So much for your "cheese" theory, huh? Rather than buy +3 DCV, why not a level or two of shrinking (the sword might be 6' long, but it's not really man-sized, is it?) That would offset the density increase weight gain, and give you bonus DCV. Your background shows the sword being weilded by someone, which seems unlikely - what's the STR min for a 6,400 kg weapon ;)

I think you may have meant to buy more automaton powers. With no Stun, and absent certain automoton powers, you're unconscious (not to mention stunned on any hit that gets through as you have no CON). I assume you intended to buy "takes no STUN" (with or without loss of powers) and "Cannot be Stunned" as automoton powers. [i keep meaning to work on an automoton PC...]

I guess one might question whether an effective 80 STR to escape grabs really leaves your flight "restrainable", but that's pretty minor.

As I recall, the "healing" mod for extra time to once per turn is -1 (I can't work the math on your regeneration anyway).

The point whore in me says there's got to be a way to get an Elemental Control: "It's a SWORD!" in there somehow.

Seems odd to have a sword with no killing attack powers.

As I look at the overall damage, I can tell you it wouldn't be in my campaign - 18 to 21d6 seems a bit largish (7d6 STR + 4d6 HA + 7-10 MA). [Mind you, if you were to agree not to change the STUN, we could call it even, since the character will always be asleep anyway.] But that's just a matter of campaign power levels.

Hugh

Do, Your right. I forgot the "Take No Stun" and the HtH attack was supposed to the a HKA. DOH!!! Serious rewrite will be needed, for the points will be way off.

The heaviness of the blade was to make is something akin the Mjolnir, for Thor. The heavy weight was offset by the flight spell for the wielder when made, however, since the origianal wielder is now inside the blade, it only works when the sword is ungrasped by another. I'll tweedle with the numbers some, maybe make up a small EC to cover the Takes No Stun (really need that one!)

The Heal Limbs part was that in the event of the sword taken enough damage to be BROKEN somewhow, that its pieces would be rejoinable, given time. :) THE CON to zero represensts it is Tireless and Takes no Stun, and uses no END, pretty much makes CON pointless.

Here is the Rewrite-had to bump him up into the Strong Supers category. Feel free to use.

C'ythial (K-thee-al)

Player:

Val Char Cost
20/35 STR 10
20 DEX 30
0 CON -20
15 BODY 10
13 INT 3
0 EGO 0
20 PRE 10
10 COM 0
12/15 PD 8
12/15 ED 12
5 SPD 20
4 REC 0
0 END 0
0 STUN -25
0" RUN-120" SWIM-20"/3" LEAP-4Characteristics Cost: 40

Cost Power END
15 Magic Sword Abilities: Elemental Control, 30-point powers
25 1) Blade Flight: Flight 10", Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (40 Active Points)
73 2) Vorpal Blade: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 3d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Double Knockback 2x KB (+3/4) (124 Active Points); Cannot Use Targeting (-1/2)
15 3) Blade Flourish: Flash 4d6 (Sight Group), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (30 Active Points)
15 4) Star-Steel Forged: Density Increase (6400 kg mass, +15 STR, +3 PD/ED, -3" KB), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (30 Active Points)
19 Star-Steel Forged: Damage Resistance (15 PD/15 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (19 Active Points)
75 It's a SWORD!: Does Not Bleed, Takes No Stun (Custom Adder)
50 Life Support , Eating: Character does not eat, Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents, Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents, Longevity: Immortal, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing, Sleeping: Character does not sleep
8 Magical Metal: Healing 1 BODY (Can Heal Limbs), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (22 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2)
10 Tireless: Naked Modifier, Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (10 Active Points)
5 Mystical Protections: Power Defense (5 points)
Powers Cost: 310

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, Weapon +8 DC Strike
5 Offensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, Weapon +10 DC Strike
3 Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, Weapon +7 DC Strike, Target Falls
4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 Counterstrike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Weapon +8 DC Strike, Must Follow Block
4 Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, +45 STR vs. Grabs
4 Martial Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; +40 STR to Disarm roll
24 +6 HTH Damage Class(es)
Martial Arts Cost: 52

Cost Skill
18 +6 with all Melee Combat
9 +3 with DCV
3 Tactics 12-
10 Defense Maneuver: I-IV
5 Rapid Attack (HTH)
2 KS- Ancient Mythical Lands 11-
0 Concealment 8-
0 Conversation 8-
0 Persuasion 8-
0 Shadowing 8-
0 Stealth 8-
Skills Cost: 47

Cost Talent
1 Resistance (1 point)
Talents Cost: 1

Total Character Cost: 450

Val Disadvantages
25 Vow to Combat Evil: (Very Common; Total)
20 Code of Heroic Conduct and Knightly Honor: But woe to to those who prove themselves without honor (Very Common; Strong)
20 Distinctive Features: Its a freak'n SWORD! (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 Physical Limitation: No fine manipulation appendages (Frequently; Greatly Impairing)
20 Social Limitation: Non-Human entity (Very Frequently; Major)
15 Hunted by Magical Item Collectors: 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find)
10 Enraged: at being Contained/Entangled (Common), go 8-, recover 14-
15 Social Limitation: Still learning of the New World... (Very Frequently; Major; Not Limiting In Some Cultures)
10 Money: Destitute

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 300

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Oh, and this sword was inspired a bit by the Emperor of Sword from the Silent Mobius anime show.Though this wont won't talk as bloody fruity as that one did!! :P

Aren't you still Stunned if you take a hit? You need "Cannot be Stunned"? NO - INCLUDED UNDER TAKES NO STUN - SORRY

I suspect "No Hit Locations" (especially since you take a hit location based limitation on your KA) may be appropriate (where are a sword's vitals?).

Did you mean to lose the Restrainable on your flight?

Also, all your defenses are divided by three when you Take no Stun, so I guess you have 5/5?

Now I'm curious how you would scale down to 350 pts.

Oh, and if you're a geezer gamer so am I :cool:

Costs of defenses are tripled, so he just had to pay more for the 12.

Thought about No Hit locations, but our game doesnt use em. You can always add them in. Never really liked the excessive point costs for the full suite of of automaton powers, since for like half the cost you could make a brick whos just as invulnerable, and twice as deadly. :P

I doubt the concept would hold much punch at the 350 level. I dont plan on playing him, just made it up to share. :)

Originally posted by RadeFox

Costs of defenses are tripled, so he just had to pay more for the 12.

Your costs look point for point. Have I missed somewhere where the extra cost was paid?

Thought about No Hit locations, but our game doesnt use em. You can always add them in.

I don't use them in Supers either. The only reason I thought of it was your "No Targetting" limitation on the HKA - is that intended to represent something else?

Never really liked the excessive point costs for the full suite of of automaton powers, since for like half the cost you could make a brick whos just as invulnerable, and twice as deadly. :P

Of course, the automaton powers aren't intended for player characters, so I suspedct they have not been as carefully valued. Having to buy some regeneration so you can be defeated without being destroyed further boosts the costs. As well, as a GM, I can let the automaton be fairly fragile, but as a PC, I like to last for a while.

I've never sat down and statted out an automaton as a PC, but "You have to get me with BOD" is a pretty hefty advantage, especially against killing attacks. Even with unreasonable (say 45) defenses, a 5x stun multiple on a 4d6 HKA (say 14 BOD - average) gets 25 STUN through, but just bounces off the 15 DEF automaton. Higher BOD will do some damage, but every 1 BOD is +5 STUN for our brick. Of course, only one in six hits is a 5x STUN multiple.

I doubt the concept would hold much punch at the 350 level. I dont plan on playing him, just made it up to share. :)

Ummm...near as I can tell, the character can do 14d6 - 17d6 with martial maneuvers (35 STR plus DC's), and falls just shy of 6d6 AP Killing if you combine his Off Strike with HKA (5d6+1 if you use the martial strike). OCV 13 DCV 12, average damage 18 BOD, 48 STUN AP (max STUN 90 on average BOD), and average 25" knockback (18 x 2 - 11) seems extremely powerful to me.

You could probably lose all the advantages on the HKA, reduce MA damage classes somewhat, ditch the flash , reduce flight to 8", maybe take the 45 point "takes no STUN" and lose some powers as you get injured, drop Power Defence and reduce levels and other combat skills to drop into the 350 point range. Over time, you'd probably pick up a lot of these with xp (and you'd likely want a bit more DEF).

Oh, and sell back your REC - what do you have to recover anyway?

Before levels and skills, that shaves off about 96 points (and, of course, pares him down to a more bare-bones character - but that's what starting characters are all about, isn't it?)

[Actually, if you dropped a SPD point, and bought some DEF as armor instead of PD/ED, you could have "normal characteristic maxima" - whatever those are for a sword!]

:)

Originally posted by lemming

Phew. I was having flashbacks from a previous concept (1982 vintage) of someone who had a Sword character. He took OAF on everything, since a sword is a focus... (needless to say, we made a plow)

I recall a story about a GM who ran an alien invasion scenario. The aliens were large hands. Of course, he was using hit locations, so guess what?

This reminds me of a homebrew game called Weapons & Weilders that we jokingly designed as a response to early D&D. It seemed that characters in those days were often defined simply by the magic items they possessed. We thought, "Why not eliminate the middle man and just have the PCs be the magic items?" This could lead to some interesting gameplay, such as throwing fights against more powerful opponents so that, when our weilders were killed, we would be picked up and have new, more powerful weilders. :)

Guest zarglif69

Mt. St. Helens!? you mean I have some magical holy sword flying around in my state? The Oregon VIPER nest would love to hear about that...