My very first mutant

Manic Typist

That's right, I'm going to be desiging my very first "powered" character. Now, while technically this is for a Dark Championsesque game (160 points, 60 AP cap).... it is still the closest thing I've done to a Champs character.

I'm specifically trying to create a Brick. The idea is that this character turns himself into living stone (slight time delay as it occurs), and when he is in this state, he is super strong (STR), super tough (rPD/ED), very heavy (Density Increase?), and moves slower (Selling back running? Limitation? He fights fast enough it just takes longer for a boulder to run a block than a normal person, or at least that's the impression I want).

Nothing glamrous, but something... clean, simple, I hope.

However, I've done anything like this, so I thought I might ask for ideas on what powers to use to model this, any other ideas you would suggest that would be fun for a big, strong, slow Brick.

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Re: My very first mutant

Well You are definitely going to want to use OIHID for your Stone powers. Technically if he weighs more IHID that might a just a physical Limitation for his Heroic Form (Physical Limitiation: Weighs X kgs, Lim occurs Frequently Impairs Slightly; 10 points). On the other hand if you bought Density Increase With 0 End cost and Persistent (depending if your character turns back to normal when Knocked Unconcious) You'll get the Increase in strength, KB resistance and some Extra pd and ed. Depends on what the GM allows. I personally would allow it for a Dark Champions with powers game for a turns to Steel/ Stone/ Heavy, dense Material Person. You'll still have to buy the extra body, and resistant def for your self if you go this route. And if you buy down your running you'll have to take the OIHID on it as well cause it doesn't always effect the character. And the question I would have about that is why is he moving slower across the ground, but why is his reaction time (SPD) and his Agility not decreased as well. IF you are moving slower while stone, why aren't you moving slower over all? It's a question your GM may ask. I'm not saying as a GM I wouldn't allow it, but there needs to be a good reason for it.

You should also remember Distinctive Features: Stone Body Easily Concealed (turn off the power), Noticed and Recognizable (if people freak a bit every time they see your Character as stone it should be one step up), Feature Detected by Commonly Used Senses; 5 points for the lesser one, 10 points for the greater one

My first thoughts

4 levels of Density Increase (+20 Str), Visible, maybe linked (depending on how the gm see this, I would give it a -1/4, but I think I am generous on it)

6/6 armor, linked to Density Increase, I would also allow visible as well

As for the slowing down, I would probably not do it, but if you want it a side effect on the Density Increase is the way to go

Season with extra time only to activate, and any other lim you care for

I also respectfuly disagree with roth on the OIHID, at lease with the build I have above it would not be appropriate

I would probably go with Density Increase, and link all your other powers to that. Depending on how long you wanted it to take to "Change forms", you could even add extra time to Density Increase. I would reccomend you also make it persistant, unless you like the idea that every time he's knocked out he returns to normal form

I'd have to agree that if you're using a DI and Armour with visible set up that OIHID is not needed. If he was to use a straight powers and stats as powers build then OIHID might be a better choice.

It will definately be Persistent.

Ok, so I'm thinking Density Increased linked to various approrpiate powers.... Armor, I suppose.

Need to look up Density Increase.

I think you're right, I'll drop the "slower runner" bit.

Any other ideas for fun Brick powers, or good Brick tricks? I'm dying to pick up something and use it as an AoE attack, and throw a manhole at someone really, really, REALLY hard.

Just tossin' it out there, you could add Turn-Mode to your running when in hero ID. It's not worth much but is a huge pain in play, so I'd add Activation to it (so it doesn't happen all the time), and call it a -0 Lim. If you want to role-play that. If you pass the Activation, say you push off walls or something cinematic like that to control your movement.

As far as "Brick Tricks" I've never really been a fan of most of them. If you want to tie someone up with a light pole, grab a light pole and do it, do buy entangle (JMHO YMMV). I would recommend penalty skill levels to offset the penalties of throwing something non-balanced and non-aerodynamic.

One wacky thing you could do would be to put Density Increase and extra inches of Running in a multipower and make them both ultras. DI would be visible. Link some extra STR and defenses.

Alternately, since it's such a simple transformation, why not use Multiform? You could buy a 160 point form and be on par with other characters.

As far as "Brick Tricks" I've never really been a fan of most of them. If you want to tie someone up with a light pole' date=' grab a light pole and do it, do buy entangle (JMHO YMMV). I would recommend penalty skill levels to offset the penalties of throwing something non-balanced and non-aerodynamic.[/quote']

For a low powered game too many "Tricks" would be out of place anyway.

I've decided against OIHID because there shouldn't be a way to prevent the character from activating his power (barring exception circumstances).

Now I'm trying to figure out how to handle a Limitation. When the powers are active, they cost 0 END (not a problem). However, I want a Side Effect that always occurs when the powers are turned off. A 2 or 3d6 END Drain.

If I build the powers separately and Link them..... do I build the same Limitation on both? Or is that frowned on? Should I go with an EC? I'm not a huge fan of that at this point, because the three primary powers are looking at different active costs (of course, I need to read back over EC to see how much of an issue this is).

To help, I'm aiming for 5 or 6 levels of Density Increase, 10 rPD/rED Armor, and one level of Flash Defense, all as an "all or nothing" power.