The Hawkmistresses

Mark Rand

Although this is in the Dark Champions forum, it could go in the main Champions forum.

The campaign city has two hawkmistresses.

The first is Ruth Little Deer, D.V.M., the vet at the city's aviary. She's also one of the few of the state's licensed falconers that are female. She has an empathic bond with most raptors and a telepathic bond with Iris, the red-tail hawk she raised from a baby.

The second, Judy Wells, is the sexton of an area synagogue. A falcon's nest is on the 20 x 20 foot square top of the synagogue's tower. Somehow, Judy managed to befriend Ike and Tina, the two peregrine falcons that live there. When the nest, now a nest box, is approached without her being on the roof, they go wild. One time, Tina actually took a hunk of flesh out the hand of a state conservation officer's hand. However, they're calm when she's there.

Before I forget, the officer was wearing leather gloves and the synagogue tower roof has a four foot tall wall around it.

Comments, questions, ideas?

Re: The Hawkmistresses

This is, of course, one of those things that you can drop into any campaign.

The heroes, and the public, don't know about Ruth powers and all they know about Judy is that the falcons don't mind her presence on the roof.

Oh, the conservation officer is probably employed by the state's fish and game commission.

Ok' date=' to clarify my question: Could you clarify your post?[/quote']

I'll do my best.

I had the idea of creating threads about characters and ideas that I can drop into any campaign world. This one, about two ladies that love raptors, is one of these.

The public knows, from the news, that Ruth is the veterinarian at the local aviary and a licensed falconer. They also know that Judy is a synagogue sexton, or custodian, that gets along with the falcons on her building's roof.

They don't know that both women are empathic with raptors.

... or shamash (hebrew)' date=' or beadle (yiddish foreign loan usage).[/quote']

Quite true.

In case you're wondering, synagogues can be made in many architecuural styles, some of which have towers.

Since most synagogue floor plans on the net are of Orthodox synagogues, I modified the floor plan of a church to get the plan of the synagogue Judy works at.

Quite true.

In case you're wondering, synagogues can be made in many architecuural styles, some of which have towers.

Since most synagogue floor plans on the net are of Orthodox synagogues, I modified the floor plan of a church to get the plan of the synagogue Judy works at.

Something tells me that Von D-Man would not wonder this, considering how versed he is with Judaism.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick addition to this.

Judy can telepathically communicate with Ike and Tina. She discovered this by accident. While drinking coffee, she saw them land on the synagogue roof and thought, Those falcons are beautiful.

She was quite surprised when she heard, Thank you, in her mind.

She told the synagogue office about the falcons now nesting on the roof. The state game commission was notified. Jessica Clark, a conservation officer, came out to have a look at the the birds. Like Judy, she stood 15 feet away from them.

The local aviary and conservency were notified about the falcons and were told their names, Ike and Tina. They were also told that they couldn't approach the falcons without Judy being there.

• 4 weeks later...

A minor adjustment to the above.

The synagogue was once a church. Its flat roof, gravel over asphalt, has a four foot tall parapet (wall) around it with the nest box and webcam in one corner and a stair enclosure in another. Judy was cleaning out a clogged roof drain when she saw Ike and Tina land on the parapet.