Segmented Movement

Hi, I'm new to the game and these boards. My DM from a D&D game suggested we try this system after I accidentally killed a major character, ending the campaign. Having played twice now I've decided that I absolutely love the system. I purchased the 5th edition book and will be buying more.

I am currently trying to build a gliding brick. A 400kg gargoyle with wings, claws, and a tail. The claws were easy enough, Reduced Penetration on a HKA. The tail is a Prehensile Extra Limb with 1" of Stretching. The gliding I'm having a bit more trouble with. He has a jump of 12" with his 60 STR, with that I want to give him Fly at x4 END and then Glide.

I guess what I am wondering is: How does glide work? What is segmented movement and is it apropriate in this case? And how do I give the character a stall speed?

Thank you,

-Preston

Glad to hear you're enjoying the system!

Since these are mostly "how to" questions, I've moved the post so others can reply (only I can reply on the "5E Questions" board). Here are my answers, though I'm sure other folx will chime in.

How does glide work?

I don't really understand what you're asking. What specifically about Gliding is it that you don't understand? There's not much I can add outside of the book description.

What is segmented movement and is it apropriate in this case?

There is no official rule on "Segmented movement." It's a house rule some people use for vehicular movement. I'd suggest you ignore it altogether.

And how do I give the character a stall speed?

Characters' personal forms of movement generally do not have a stall speed at all. Vehicles sometimes do; there's a Limitation for it on 5E 316 that you could adapt for characters if you wanted to, I s'pose.

Re: Segmented Movement

Originally posted by PerennialRook

I guess what I am wondering is: How does glide work? What is segmented movement and is it apropriate in this case? And how do I give the character a stall speed?

Thank you,

-Preston

Think of a hang-glider. Gliding is essentially non-powered flight. You can stay up for a while, but without the proper wind currents and updrafts, you will eventually have to land. You also need some serious altitude first, as it is much tougher to go up than down when gliding. Don't worry about segmented movement (your GM will handle those details) and only vehicles need to worry about stall-speed.

For your Flight, In the case of the Gargoyle, I could see allowing you to take the Beam (-1/4) Advantage, this represents a power that has to be used to FULL effect every time.

And in the case of the Gargoyle, means paying 4x END to use flight, it means he has to pay the FULL end cost to fly, even if he only "hop flies" 4 hexes.

I take it you are planning to use the Expensive flight too merely gain altitude, at which point you would begin Gliding. Makes sense to me from this characters standpoint.

To represent a Stall speed on the Glide, you could make a Custom Limitation, say (-1/4) that says, you have to glide X hexes to keep gliding, or else, switch to Flight, or Fall.

He could buy leaping for x2 or x4 END instead, with the "restrainable"? limitation for the wings.

I think that would more accurately reflect the "beating th e air into submission" effect, since the implication is very little actual flight control. It would also allow for some long jumps in combat without actually invoking the gliding. x2 End probably the most appropriate in that case, to represent the need for a "launch" instead of true flight.

Might simulate hard landings better also...

as for Segmented movement:

Figure out how far the hero glides per turn (under most conditions). This would be <(Gliding Inches) x (SPD)>.

Then his movement rate per segment is (Rate per Turn) / 12.

One of the WORST mistakes I ever saw was a GM who would count 10" of Flight as 10" when measuring BOTH by phase and by segment!!

The inconsistency STILL awes me.