Harnessing Meta-gaming

Hello,

I've been trying to think of ways to use meta-gaming to improve the game enjoyment. To this end, I have asked my players to identify which shticks (both power and personality) their character represents to allow me to spotlight and avoid character overlap. In addition, I provide players with set goals each adventure. I distribute experience based upon the players' performance against these shticks and goals. I also use scene cards (see thread of standard vs. dramatic scenes) and hero action points. Are there other ways I could use the natural meta-gaming players do to increase the comic book feel of the game?

Re: Harnessing Meta-gaming

Allowing the players to award one another heroic action points for doing cool things is one idea. Requiring them to spend heroic action points to do things to each other is another.

If you can, pick up a roleplaying game called Primetime Adventures, which can give lots of ideas for both a "fan mail" mechanic and one for ensuring equal "screen time".

I put together an adventure feedback form which has a section for players to suggest additional xp and hero points another player should receive. I'll have to check my hero action rules to see if I have a provision for players to spend their points to aid another player in being heroic. Thanks for the suggestions. What is the gist of the "fan mail" mechanic?

The fan mail mechanic: it's actually tied in with another mechanic in Primetime Adventures, and I'll explain the whole bit. The Producer (GM) has an amount of Budget, which is what he spends on conflicts; each point allows him to roll one die (or draw one card in second edition). Each point of Budget he spends goes into the Audience Pool. Each player may award one point of Fan Mail per scene, and when Fan Mail is awarded, it comes out of the Audience Pool. The Fan Mail is awarded right then and there rather than waiting until the end; it makes it more immediate, and it can be spent once you have it.