Proposed 'New' Optional Framework, CSFX

Comic

To help distinguish the standard EC from the type of framework many people wish EC was, I'm proposing a new pseudoframework, Common Special Effects (CSFX for short).

The CSFX framework is EC like, in that you pay the full price of everything in the CSFX, and may use all the powers at the same time (if it is otherwise legal to do so) without worrying about allocating points from a pool.

How does the CSFX framework differ from an EC?

1. Any characteristic, power, skill, talent, perk, or whatever can be put into the CSFX if it is otherwise legal to do so.

2. All slots in the CSFX must have a common and reasonably narrow special effect (either Origin or Result type special effect).

3. All slots in the CSFX must take the -1/4 limitation 'Acts Like a Power in an EC for the Purposes of all Drawbacks' (the main example is affected by drains like an EC, but if there are other drawbacks, or campaign-specific drawbacks, those also apply). The slot must qualify for the limitation to be added to the framework.

4. Slots in the CSFX may take Linked limitations if otherwise permitted to do so by the rules -- the CSFX is a non-framework for the purposes of restrictions on linking.

5. Anyone capable of perceiving or analyzing the special effect of the CSFX gains a +2 to all Perception or Analysis rolls per doubling of slots in the CSFX (eg +2 at 2 slots, +4 at 4 slots, +6 at 8 slots) against the character with regard to the CSFX while it is active. For CSFX's where all the powers can be turned off, this qualifies the CSFX to take an additional -1/4 limitation (OIHID). For CSFX's where at least one power can't be turned off, this qualifies for the -1/2 limitation (Always On).

6. Since it is not literally an framework, other frameworks can be put inside the CSFX, if they otherwise qualify.

7. In general, the CSFX will save more points than an EC, and can lead to a wider range of characters.

Opinions?

Re: Proposed 'New' Optional Framework, CSFX

I don't think I'm following the EC/unEClike aspects... care to post an example of one of these "frameworks"?

I've built several characters with this Limitation:

[all slots Limited Power (Affected by adjustment powers like an Elemental Control ; -1/4)] See the 2nd link in my sig below for examples. Note that I even apply it to Multipowers when the SFX makes sense for it to.

I believe Killer Shrike has used it on occasion in some of his posted characters as well.

Examples!

Good plan.

Example 1.a): A simple standard EC that's likely acceptable to almost everyone.

25 EC Magenta Ion Generation Control 25 AP [-]

27 A) 13 rPD/13 rED (+1/2: 0 END, +1/2: Persistent) 'Magenta Ion Aura' 52 AP [0]

25 B) 20" Flight (+1/4: 1/2 END) 'Magenta Ion Jets' 50 AP [2]

25 C) 8d6 EB (+1/4: 1/2 END) 'Magenta Ion Stream' 50 AP [2]

Example 1.B): The same general level of effects bought as CSFX.

0 CSFX Magenta Galvanization (-1/4: Affected as EC) 0 AP [-]

31 A) 13 rPD/13 rED Armor 'Magenta Galvanized Skin' 39 AP [-]

40 B) 20" Flight (+1/4: 1/2 END) 'Magenta Ion Jets' 50 AP [2]

40 C) 8d6 EB (+1/4: 1/2 END) 'Magenta Ion Stream' 50 AP [2]

Looking at Example 1.a), stopping after the first two powers you pay 77 CP, compared to 71 CP for (mostly) the same effect from Example 1.B).

It isn't until you add the third power © that the EC is more cost-effective than the CSFX (102 vs 111).

Both are less expensive than buying the powers all separately, but then they'd have less of a limitation on them.

Example 2.a)

25 EC Cyan Ion Generation Control 25 AP [-]

27 A) 13 rPD/13 rED (+1/2: 0 END, +1/2: Persistent) 'Cyan Ion Aura' 52 AP [0]

25 B) 20" Flight (+1/4: 1/2 END) 'Cyan Ion Jets' 50 AP [2]

60 C) Cyan Ion Stream Projection Pool 60 AP [-]

6u D) 12d6 EB 'Cyan Ion Stream' 60 AP [6]

6u E) 8d6 Flash (+1/2: Explosion) 'Cyan Ion Burst' 60 AP [6]

6u F) 8 rPD/8 rED Force Wall (+1/2: 0 END) 'Cyan Ion Wall' 60 AP [0]

Total Cost: 155 CP

Example 2.B)

0 CSFX Cyan Galvanization (-1/4: Affected as EC) 0 AP [-]

31 A) 13 rPD/13 rED Armor 'Cyan Galvanized Skin' 39 AP [-]

40 B) 20" Flight (+1/4: 1/2 END) 'Cyan Ion Jets' 50 AP [2]

48 C) Cyan Ion Stream Projection Pool 60 AP [-]

5u D) 12d6 EB 'Cyan Ion Stream' 60 AP [6]

5u E) 8d6 Flash (+1/2: Explosion) 'Cyan Ion Burst' 60 AP [6]

5u F) 8 rPD/8 rED Force Wall (+1/2: 0 END) 'Cyan Ion Wall' 60 AP [0]

Total Cost: 144 CP

Combining two frameworks under the single 'pseudoframework' means if any power is drained, then all powers are treated as if they were in an EC for the purposes of the drain. If the Campaign has a disadvantage that Ionic/Galvanic powers attract the attention of Mechanon, then using any of the powers in the CSFX will have that drawback.

Example 3.a)

20 G) Radar Sense, Discriminating, Analyze 'Yellow Ion Feedback' 20 AP [-]

Example 3.B)

16 G) Radar Sense, Discriminating, Analyze (-1/4: CSFX) 'Yellow Ion Feedback' 20 AP [-]

There's nothing that prevents putting the limitation on the powers without the CSFX framework. It just makes it easier to handle as a concept.

The examples above can be done with .c) (-1/4: OIHID), which reduces the total cost by another 19 CP for the first example, 26 CP for the second, and 29 CP for the third.

These cost savings aren't artificial. They're balanced by being more limiting, but they have the additional advantage of more closely linking the special effects and consequences of having and using them.

If you want armor or senses in your EC, but your group doesn't all agree to opting out of RAW, this might be a palatable middle ground.

And in some cases, it might better express the concept than otherwise. Which I'd hope would be the reason to use it.

I've built several characters with this Limitation:

[all slots Limited Power (Affected by adjustment powers like an Elemental Control ; -1/4)] See the 2nd link in my sig below for examples. Note that I even apply it to Multipowers when the SFX makes sense for it to.

I believe Killer Shrike has used it on occasion in some of his posted characters as well.

Yep. Its in the FAQ as a legal construct (or at least it used to be).