Like a Rock

I have a character I am trying to create (the gliding brick). He is a Gargoyle who is living flesh at night, but during the day is a statue. That in and of itself I have no idea how to pull off. On top of that he has to instantly heal and and all damage/drains/etc. at dusk when he breaks free of his stone slumber. It is important that the effect coincide with the transformation at dusk because it is possible that at some point, rather than turning into a statue, he will turn into a normal human, though still fully heal at dusk as he transforms back into a gargoyle.

How do I do this?

The character, interestingly enough, is immortal, and has seen much of the world. He was at one time the statue on the front of a pirate ship by day, and captain of said vessel by night, until the boat sunk and he awoke several hundred meters underwater.

-Preston

The effect you are looking for will be difficult. HERO doesn't really support absolute powers. By absolute, I mean healing all damage, regardless of how much or killing someone, regardless of how healthy. I think you can do more or less what you want by taking Healing, with 1 charge. You can define the charge as recovering in the moment before dusk. Take the trigger advantage to automatically activate the power at dusk. If you take enough healing, you'll probably heal from pretty much any damage. It will be expensive, but the effect you're looking for is pretty powerful. The limitation for 1 charge should help. If you want to remove other effects, you'll need to buy dispel also, with the same advantages and limitations. You may have to settle for the possibility of retaining some damage even after dusk. HERO can be like that.

Buy twice his body in healing using standard effect. Then, it doesn't matter how much damage he has. This will probably be very, very expensive.

I wouldn't worry too much about drains and unusual damage. They'll probably have worn off by the time he turns back to flesh. I don't think you need to heal any stun damage that's been taken either, since he'll recover that while he's "sleeping" in statue form.

I don't think you should have to buy trigger. Only being able to use a power at a certain time sounds more like a limitation to me. You should at least take a conditional power limitation in addition to the trigger.

This is how I would make the power if the guy had 10 body:

Statue Transformation: Heal Body 14d6 (always 21 body with standard effect), Trigger (occurs automatically at dusk, +1/4), (Active Points 150); Charges (1 Charge, -2), Limited Power (can only be used at the moment of trasformation, -2), Self Only (-1/2), (Real Cost 27).

Plus he has the disadvantage:

Physical Limitation: Becomes A Statue During The Day (Occurs Frequently, Fully Impairs). -20 Points.

You might also want to consider having him regenerate slowly over the course of the day, instead of healing instantly when turning to stone. Unless he's going to be attacked while in statue form, the only significant game effect is that he is healed by the time he wakes up the next night.

Re: Like a Rock

Originally posted by PerennialRook

I have a character I am trying to create (the gliding brick). He is a Gargoyle who is living flesh at night, but during the day is a statue. That in and of itself I have no idea how to pull off.

This part is easy enough. Buy all powers EXECPT ARMOR with the limitation "limited power, night only -1." Then buy the disadvantage "Physical Limitation, Turns to stone during daytime, Frequent, Total. 25 pts"

Just tangentially, while the basis (I assume) for this character works fine on TV, you're kind of assuming your GM will not have any action during the day. If he does, then your character obviously misses it. If he doesn't, then the "statue by day" disadvantage isn't really all that disadvantageous.

You might want to consider foregoing that aspect of the character in the interests of playability.

Just tangentially, while the basis (I assume) for this character works fine on TV, you're kind of assuming your GM will not have any action during the day. If he does, then your character obviously misses it. If he doesn't, then the "statue by day" disadvantage isn't really all that disadvantageous.

I'm just trying to make characters at this point. My DM already warned me about trying to switch characters every week.

The 'no action during the day' is why I said that bit about perhaps later becomming a human during the day. Stone during the day is just the racial default.

OK, presuming your character has default 10 BODY, this should bring him back from death or dismemberment.

Cost Power END
59 Healing BODY 14d6 (max. Healed Points: 84) (Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection), Trigger, sunset (+1/4) (206 Active Points); 1 Charges (-2), Self Only (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 59

There use to be an option of taking a less-than-average 3 pips per die rather than rolling effect, can't find if that is still an option. If your GM allows this (offical or not), this power will heal 21 BODY every sunset.

Assume you've gotten recoveries through the day and STUN and END are at full.

If your GM uses Drains or Transfers a lot, you can modify the power to heal from them.

Cost Power END
153 Healing BODY 14d6 (max. Healed Points: 84) (Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection), Trigger, sunset (+1/4), Variable Effect (All Powers Simultaneously; +2) (536 Active Points); 1 Charges (-2), Self Only (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 153

This adds 42 points to any Power or Characteristic below starting value, 21 BODY, 42 STUN, 84 END, etc.

If it's like the show Gargoyles, I think there's no resurrection.

There use to be an option of taking a less-than-average 3 pips per die rather than rolling effect, can't find if that is still an option. If your GM allows this (offical or not), this power will heal 21 BODY every sunset.

You can still do that. It's listed as the standard effect option somewhere near the beginning of 5th edition.

No resurection or limb regeneration, just good old fashioned healing. He would have to be alive to turn into stone (though not concious), and a missing limb would not just re-appear. He also, I think, will have more than 10 body.

If it's like the show Gargoyles, I think there's no resurrection.

Yes, like the show gargoyles, that was the inspiration.

-Preston

From what I remember of the show, those guys were very beefy, but not superhuman. I think something like 18 would be accurate.

PerennialRook, are you doing a write-up of the guys from the show or just trying to make a 200+150 point character?

Personal thoughts:

1) For playability fast forward and already have the spell in place to be human:

2) Build Gargoyle form as a Multiform

3) IIRC there is an option to keep two sets of damage for Multiform (Human, Gargoyle each takes damage seperatly)

4) Bend till they snap the rules (This was from a ruling I disagreed on), take regeneration on the gargolye form with the limitation of only while in human form (-1/2)

5) Call the rest F/X

If you are insistent on the gargoyle as a statue then do this

Statue Form 10/10 Armor, Only during the Day, Must be on during the day (-1/4), Concentration 0 DCV, ignores world)

Some KO resistance as well, same lims as above plus linked

And then by the regen with link instead

Only problem is if anyone "Awakens" him before he finishes healing there is a problem ( But assuming a Body of 25 he would need 10 minutes to totaly heal)

You could also take some Regeneration, Only While In Stone Form (-1) or whatever. How much do you need? Well, it needs to be able to restore x2 the BODY stat of the character during the course of the day (while he's stone). Now, apart from funky day/night lengths in REALLY far northern or southern latitudes, figure 8 hours as the shortest day length.

Considering how fast Regen works, even just one level of Regen should do it. If you're really strapped for points, you might be able to save a little by bumping the Regen frequency down (once a minute, or every 5 minutes, for example). Just make sure you don't bump it so far down it can't heal x2 BODY score in 8 hours.

Regeneration: 1 / Min

+2 Variable Effects (Heal any thing one at a time)

+1/2 END =0

+1/2 Persistent

-1/2 Self Only

-1 ¼ Extra Time: 1min

-1 Only at night

Active points 40 points

Real cost 11points

Then you have all night to heal all the different type of damage done to you.

OOPS! posted to Healing thread this AM!

Getting back to the original question (BALO: I AM TALKING ABOUT THE GARGOYLE NOW)

Am I the only one who thinks this looks WAY too expensive? Guys, we've missed the boat completely here!

Buy 1 BOD healing (regeneration) which only works when he's turned to stone. He'll be rock for hours, and one hour contains 300 turns - more than enough, I would expect, to recover all BOD lost. You could even take a greater Increased Time and/or, if your GM permits, +2 advantage on "all stats below starting max".

I'd allow the "all stats", but as you've already seen, I think adjustment powers don't need all the watering down they've received. Your GM may be on the other side of the fence. However, I don't see what you want as being abusive, and if your GM also doesn't, I can't see him wanting to make it imnpossible or cost-prohibitive.

Originally posted by Demonsong

Regeneration: 1 / Min

+2 Variable Effects (Heal any thing one at a time)

+1/2 END =0

+1/2 Persistent

-1/2 Self Only

-1 ¼ Extra Time: 1min

-1 Only at night

Active points 40 points

Real cost 11points

Then you have all night to heal all the different type of damage done to you.

It looks like you only bought one die of regeneration. Wouldn't that mean you can only heal up to 3 body? Or is regeneration exempt from the maximum effect rules for adjustment powers?

THe regen option ignores the max limit

I just checked and I could not find the bit about seperate damage (It was probably on a similar power, such as duplication or something), so clear the idea with your GM, some F/X's would find it useful, others would not...

Heh.

It's now a three slot Multiform thanks to the discussion group.

One Slot is the Statue, one slot is the human, one slot is the gargoyle.

I assume the gargoyle should pay for it all?

Now the physical limitation dicatates the daylight form switch.

Keep the stone statue on the switch for character concept, and change the |reason| at a later date when the human becomes the day default. The statue form does not "go away" because he can revert to human, but the GM could change the trigger to "near death at sunrise" or something like that. If you want the human form at the start, well, present to him and see if you get an appreciation of a well thought up character. He might be happy that you are at least available to play in daylight.

PL or Accidental Change: Reverts to Human Form in daylight

Accidental Change or PL: Transforms to statue under unknown circumstances

Make the Multiform only work at sunrise and sunset (-1.5 maybe?)

Now, the statue only needs massive armor, and has quite a few physical limitations. Make the statue invisible to magic too. The regeneration runs all day. That way if something injures the statue, it will still transform if mostly intact. Actually, the speed of the regeneration IS irrelevant. I'd have the regen on the statue, since nowhere in canon did it dictate they healed at point of the form change...they just awoke healed.

Alternatively, the gargoyle is "only in Hero ID" and switches from Human to Gargoyle under some "circumstance", amd the statue is a Multiform slot. I like the two Multforms much better myself, since the powers/fighting options would be different for both forms.

As a human, I think Goliath retained his weapons knowledge, some occult knowledge, a sensitivity to magic (the detection of it), and his combat knowledge (buy both forms martial arts, the gargoyle has more manuevers). I'd have to ask my niece. She knows.

Keep things like that in mind during construction. And since his gargoyle mitts were too big and clumsy for firearms, maybe he's practiced with them as a human?