Ghost in the Shell Cyberbrain.

M Bison

Ok, so I'm starting up a Star Hero campaign that is drawing on elements from many sci-fi series and I want the team (and the military in general) to have adopted cyberbrain conversion for secure communications and computer hacking. The problem is I really don't know where to start stating one out.

If I could get some examples of a simple Cyberbrain and then where it can be expanded for a more advanced cyberbrain I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: Ghost in the Shell Cyberbrain.

Mind Link seems to be the base power for something like that, and for hacking purposes I could see a skill bonus to computer-related skills.

If the cyberbrain allows for direct interface with computers, then maybe some form of Telepathy or Mind Control that only works on AIs would make sense, perhaps linked to a Computer Programming skill roll.

Not many answers to follow, just a rundown of what a cyberbrain is (according to the GiTS mythology).

The cyberbrain is the interface that connects the cyborg human brain to its prosthetics. Normal brain signals are converted by the cyberbrain into a form which can be used to control the prosthetics of the cyborg. The cyberbrain also converts input from the various prosthetics into signals that the human brain can understand. Wireless communications are also handled via the cyberbrain and there are interface jacks (usually at the back of the neck) to allow direct hook up to computers and other equipment (diagnostics, vehicle controls, etc.).

The way the cyberbrain works and its accessibility via wireless communications is what makes if vulnerable to being hacked. A hacker can take control of the signals going to the brain and thereby create a perfect mental illusion to the cyborg. The cyborg sees, hears, feels, and otherwise senses the fantasy created by the hacker. The hacker could also take control of the cyberbrain and override the control that the cyborg has over their own prosthetics. This results in a situation where the victim is aware of what their body is doing but they have no control over it.

Pretty much it is a battle between the intruder and the software security that the cyborg has. Top of the line security can make hacking very difficult but having a link to the outside world allows for the possibility that a skilled enough hacker, given enough time, will have the possibility of succeeding against any security.

It all depends on how you want to implement "cyberspace" in terms of HERO mechanics. There are several possible ways. The best discussion you will currently find on this topic is in the Kazei Five supplement by Mr. Surbrook. There is also a little bit on this in The Ultimate Mentalist (and several of the mentalist powers detailed in that book could be adapted to cyberbrain use).

Especially in the Ghost in the Shell vein, I see the cyberbrain as either a focus or a special effect for a collection of mental powers that implement the various capabilities of the cyber-enhanced characters. Using the cyberbrain to communicate with another person is functionally just like talking on a radio. Hacking can be a variety of powers, depending on what it is you are trying to do, but probably using a required skill roll (possibly an opposed roll) to accomplish the task. Depending on how far you want to take the GitS analogy, it could be anything from stealing information (telepathy) to hacking someone's cybereyes to make them see (or not see) what you want (mental illusions).

As with all builds, this is going to come down to "what game effects do you need" (telepathy, illusions, etc.) and then apply the right adds and lims. Keep in mind that if this can be done to you as well you get the points for a suceptibility if you want them.