New Mechanic: Multiple Damage Types Advantage

schir1964

Re: New Mechanic: Multiple Damage Types Advantage

Multiple Damage Types Advantage

Normally an attack's damage is reduced by a single defense which is defined when the attack is purchased. This advantage adds another defense type that the attack goes against when used. The result is that the attack's damage will only be reduced by the lesser of the two defenses defined.

This advantage may only be applied to attacks that do body damage.

Value: +1

Is it intended that I could take, say, an EB and make it apply against the lower of ED and, say, Sight Flash Defense for a +1 advantage? That's lower cost than an AVLD: Sight Flash, and marginally more versatile in that I will do more STUN if the target has more sight flash defense than ED (not many of them around though...).

If I can only use PD and ED, I'm better off buying a 12d6 EB vs ED, a 12d6 EB vs PD, Linking them and limiting them to only have one inflict damage. Same AP, samne effect, same END cost and much lower cost.

So it's either too cheap (if exotic defenses are allowed) or too expensive (if they are not).

And why only attacks that do BOD? Should it cost more to make a Flash attack apply against flash or power defense than to make an EB apply against either PD or ED?

I don't see the purpose, and the cost hasn't been thought through.

Qualifying Attacks

STR (vs PD)

Telekinesis (vs PD/ED)

Energy Blast (vs PD/ED)

Hand Killing Attack (vs PD/ED)

Ranged Killing Attack (vs PD/ED)

Ego Blast (vs MD but still does Body Damage)

Updated Original Post

- Christopher Mullins

Also' date=' what problem is this intended to solve? I.e., whats the need it fills?[/quote']

This needs to be the starting point - why do we need this advantage? What niche does it fill that the existing system does not address?

Qualifying Attacks

STR (vs PD)

Telekinesis (vs PD/ED)

Energy Blast (vs PD/ED)

Hand Killing Attack (vs PD/ED)

Ranged Killing Attack (vs PD/ED)

Ego Blast (vs MD but still does Body Damage)

I still don't understand what this "only attacks that do BOD damage" restriction is intended to cover, and tossing in an Ego Blast confuses the issue even more. What about a BOD Drain? If a BOD drain is OK, why not a STR drain or STUN drain as well?

What defenses am I allowed to swap between? only PD/ED, or also exotic defenses?

Normally an attacks damage is reduced by a single defense which is defined when the attack is purchased. This advantage adds another defense type that the attack goes against when used. The result is that the attacks damage is applied separately to each defense then totaling all damage that exceeded the defenses.

This advantage may only be applied to attacks that do body damage.

Value: +1

Why use this advantage rather than just buying two separate attacks and using them as a Multiple Power Attack? That's more versatile (I can pick which of the two attacks I want to use; I could have a Ranged Drain and/or a Flash as one of the powers) and has the same cost and END cost as your proposed option.

Or I can link the two powers and reduce the cost from your proposed option.

And once again, because it is the crucial issue to any discusssion of any new mechanic:

Also' date=' what problem is this intended to solve? I.e., whats the need it fills?[/quote']

It's pretty tough to comment, much less suggest improvements, if we don't know what it is you are trying to accomplish with it.

I still don't understand what this "only attacks that do BOD damage" restriction is intended to cover' date=' and tossing in an Ego Blast confuses the issue even more. What about a BOD Drain? If a BOD drain is OK, why not a STR drain or STUN drain as well?[/quote']

Drain Body does not cause Body Damage, at least not permanent damage. Yes, a drain can kill a character, but that is a separate issue. So no, Drain in any form does not qualify.

What defenses am I allowed to swap between? only PD/ED' date=' or also exotic defenses?[/quote']

First, there is no swapping of defenses, the attack is considered to be going against both defenses simultaneously.

Second, the attacks that qualify so far show that PD/ED/MD are possible defenses that can be added depending on the attack purchased.

Simplicity

- Christopher Mullins

Drain Body does not cause Body Damage' date=' at least not permanent damage. Yes, a drain can kill a character, but that is a separate issue. So no, Drain in any form does not qualify.[/quote']

Ego Attacks don't cause BOD either. Am I allowed to place this advantage on any ego attack, or do I need to buy "Does BOD" first? If the former, why can't I also place it on an EB - AVLD vs Flash Defense (that doesn't do BOD either, but it did before I added AVLD). if the latter, can I place this advantage on an AVLD if I first add "Does BOD"?

Why is each option allowed, or not allowed? Again, this comes back to the very basic question of

which you do not seem willing or able to address.

Second' date=' the attacks that qualify so far show that PD/ED/MD are possible defenses that can be added [b']depending on the attack purchased[/b].

The examples shown so far don't tell me the basis on which attacks are included or excluded. If I take this advantage on an Ego Attack, does the Ego Attack now do BOD? If I place it on an Energy Blast, can I choose Resistant PD to go with the standard ED default? Can I choose Mental Defense as the alternate defense for my RKA? if so, does the Mental Defense have to be resistant to block my KA? Does the Ego component of the KA still do BOD?

Basically, I have no idea what the purpose of this construct is, and little understanding of how it is intended to work.

This seems broken to me.

For 60 active points, I can get a 4d6 attack that is area effect 1 hex, armor piercing and goes against power defense and flash defense. (or any two obscure and rarely purchased specialty defenses)

For the same points, I could get 8d6 eb area effect 1 hex. That attack goes against PD or ED. They both do the same damage, but I'll bet that the first attack will average more damage per hit.

Most people don't build characters with hardened flash defense or lack of weakness equal to their PD.