Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth story options?

Spidey88

Hey, folks! Thanks in advance for reading - I expect right off the bat that this will be a long post...(with some spoilers about the adventure, by the way!)

I'm just about to run what will probably be the last session of "Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth" with my regular players. The heroes have just penetrated King Cobra's inner sanctum, and are about to throw down with the deranged geneticist and his minions.

While I'm by no means "stuck", I want to ensure that this next session will be memorable and of epic scale (not to mention try to prepare myself for the heroes' potential actions - in particular, if they lose the fight).

Since this sort of question is useless without details, I'll try to provide a few:

Players (all built on about 350 pts + 150 disads):

1) Ashley. Powerset is essentially like a jedi or sith - an extremely agile, fast martial artist with energy blades, TK, and the ability to detect sentient minds (and get vague, but discriminatory impressions from them without actually reading thoughts). Sneaky, danger-sense equipped, and can essentially regenerate from death. A total jerk, but a strong moral core (think TV's "House".)

status: currently almost devoid of BODY - and while he'll get better even if he's "killed", one or two good shots will effectively put him out of the fight (since his regen will take quite a while to work, and kicks in only after he goes below 0 BODY).

2) Event. Density-altering brick, with typically vast STR and defenses, as well as the ability to go desolid. Some skill with physics + electronics, typical Silver-age outlook and morals (a generally very nice guy, with CVK).

status: a few scrapes from Boomslang's penetrating bullets, but otherwise fresh for the fight.

3) Horizon. Energy projector. Multipower with various attack modes (flash, AOE, 0 END, etc - possibly a force field soon too), decent DEX + SPD (23/6), flies fairly fast (25"). Skills and outlook similar to Event's (both were grad students working on the same project that went awry), though he's less defined as a really nice guy (ie. has no CVK at the moment, but might be implied).

status: after having been hit by some tranq darts in the hothouse jungle, he's working with about 3 STUN. Otherwise alright, but he'll fold faster than Superman on laundry day with but a stiff breeze.

(this isn't really too much of an issue, as his player is extremely flaky when it comes to showing up - if his player does, the drugs will be "just starting to wear off".)

4) Phidippus. My GMNPC that I've jabbered about before - a Spidey homage with extra eyes and arms. Power-wise pretty similar to Spidey, but was trained and created by Hornet (who was working with VIPER at the time in conjunction with Timothy Blank, aka. King Cobra). Sees his hero work as a quest for redemption from his close brush with villainy, total Silver-Age morals (CVK included), has many science skills (biological/forensic/chemical focus).

status: just fine. Has just entered the inner sanctum blaring the cavalry charge with another hero in tow (see Skullcrusher, below). Obvious connections to King Cobra (at the very least, knew him a few years back before he busted out of VIPER). Major focus during the battle will be protecting pals, esp. Ashley (with whom he's got issues he's working out at the moment - but that's neither here nor there). If an opportunity shows itself for making a noble sacrifice in defense of Ashley, this would be a great time.

5) Skullcrusher. UFC fighter granted a brick's physique by VIPER experiments. Brutal submission/grapple expert, and would be a very skilled combatant without the STR to lift a garbage barge (absolute heck on wheels in a fight). Looks like Ghost Rider with meat (skull-like face, and terrifying to behold), and is a regenerator as well.

status: fine, physically. Mentally? Well, since he was a product of VIPER experiments (and was brainwashed in the process before his liberation), guess who's got the ability to pull his mental strings? None other than Dr. Blank! (This seemed like the perfect connection - too perfect to pass up!) King Cobra has just gleefully "activated" Skullcrusher's programming, essentially turning our erstwhile companion into another villain. (The regeneration and incomplete brainwashing techniques will be a likely way out of this...)

Current opposition:

-King Cobra

-Krait

-Gorgon

-Boomslang

-Slither (the players don't even know he exists, and he's going to attack from ambush)

-Firedrake

-at least a dozen COIL agents (I was deliberately rather vague)

-Skullcrusher (currently responding to the name "Death Adder")

Needless to say, the PC's have a nasty fight on their hands...

Nasty enough, in fact, that I wouldn't be surprised if they lost - or at least had to beat a hasty retreat with wounded in tow. (As long as Phidippus is functional, he's probably strong and mobile enough to drag everyone out faster than even Krait could follow, at least. Still, I'd rather have the PC's get the glory.) Firedrake and Skullcrusher have the potential to be turned.

Here's where I turn to your fertile brains, denizens of HEROdom.

some immediate questions:

- what might be some options in the event the PC's get their butts handed to them? (I'd rather not resort to a deus ex machina, but I've prepared for that if need be.)

- what might be the hook to shake Skullcrusher out of his programmed battle frenzy?

- what might be some good ways for K.C. to escape to plot against the heroes without the PC's feeling cheated? (escape vehicle rigged to explode comes to mind)

- any ways to keep Ashley in the fight, despite his poor condition (aside from the aforementioned potential for Phidippus to make a noble sacrifice)?

This is not a comprehensive list of questions, by the way. Any input you guys have, on any of the above, would be much appreciated. Like I said, I want this to be as memorable and enjoyable as possible! Some of the last few sessions I've ran have been lackluster, and I want to make up for them (for starters, I plan on making the whole battle scene out of LEGO).

(Hopefully this isn't so open-ended a question as to be irritating - I'll happily provide any more details needed.)

Re: Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth story options?

- what might be some options in the event the PC's get their butts handed to them? (I'd rather not resort to a deus ex machina, but I've prepared for that if need be.)

- what might be the hook to shake Skullcrusher out of his programmed battle frenzy?

These can be tied together. Tie Firedrake and Skullcrusher's past together under Blank. When things look bleak for the heroes, King Cobra lets loose with a maniacal laugh that brings up a suppressed memory of SC's -- Blank used to laugh that same way back at VIPER when he was torturing/experimenting on him. He suddenly remembers who he is and what he stands for, and how much he hates Blank.

Seeing Skullcrusher turn gives Firedrake the moral impetus to join him. Firedrake remembers those horrible days when Blank was using them both as playthings, and remembers Skullcrusher's courage and kindness at "taking one for the team" so that Firedrake didn't have to.

- what might be some good ways for K.C. to escape to plot against the heroes without the PC's feeling cheated? (escape vehicle rigged to explode comes to mind)

I'd keep Gorgon out of the fight since she's at her best underwater. Leave her in an underground river beneath the battle. If things go bad for King Cobra, he summons her, she comes crashing up through the floor, and he escapes into the water riding her like a (sea)horse.

- any ways to keep Ashley in the fight' date=' despite his poor condition (aside from the aforementioned potential for Phidippus to make a noble sacrifice)?[/quote']

Use his Danger Sense to keep the team from being ambushed, and to keep himself out of harm's way.

(for starters' date=' I plan on making the whole battle scene out of LEGO).[/quote']

Post pictures!

I'd keep Gorgon out of the fight since she's at her best underwater. Leave her in an underground river beneath the battle. If things go bad for King Cobra, he summons her, she comes crashing up through the floor, and he escapes into the water riding her like a (sea)horse.

"Hi-ho Gorgon, AWAAAAY!"

(sorry - I get the giggles thinking of that scene done in that way...)

Horizon could just take a recovery before the big fight in a couple of rounds he should be O.K., BTW I ran this scenario as well and I found that darts to be really effective. My players hated them! Drains rule!

As for Ashley, how exactly does the regen work? If it take several hours than he's out of luck. Maybe he could just try and be more defensive in combat.

Well, Horizon's not really an issue - it's right about the time that the drugs should be wearing off anyway, so he'll just have to be very careful for a round or four.

Ashley's regen is mighty slow (just 1 or 2 BODY every phase 12), so if he takes a good hit, he's effectively down for the whole battle. I figure I'll just give him the chance to make some EGO rolls to fight off unconsciousness and keep going against all odds.