Energy Absorber

telemachus

I'm trying to work out a gadget (in this case a small crystal) that absorbs energy attacks up to a certain capacity, then ceases to operate when it's reached that limit. It won't absorb any more energy until what was absorbed has been (harmlessly) discharged via another device.

So far, I'm thinking either Absorption or an ED Force Field as a starting point, but I'm not sure where to go from there. Any suggestions? I'm really rusty on the rules, so go easy on me.

Also, what happened to Ablative?

Re: Energy Absorber

It really depends on what you're going to do with that absorbed energy. If the idea is just to absorb attacks, just create a FF with a limitation of only up to #x BODY.

If the absorbed energy actually turns the crystal into a battery of sorts, then it's probably Absorbtion with the "acts as defense" advantage that absorbs the Energy as END. The upper limit then becomes whatever buy in dice of Absorbtion.

It really depends on what you're going to do with that absorbed energy. If the idea is just to absorb attacks, just create a FF with a limitation of only up to #x BODY.

If the absorbed energy actually turns the crystal into a battery of sorts, then it's probably Absorbtion with the "acts as defense" advantage that absorbs the Energy as END. The upper limit then becomes whatever buy in dice of Absorbtion.

You got it with the first one. The problem I'm having is that it needs to be "emptied" in order for it to work again and I'm not sure how to represent that. I guess I was looking for the right power when I should be looking in the Limitations.

Thanks!

You got it with the first one. The problem I'm having is that it needs to be "emptied" in order for it to work again and I'm not sure how to represent that. I guess I was looking for the right power when I should be looking in the Limitations.

Thanks!

You could use Endurance Reserve as a guide. Each hit against the force field "drains" END on the reserve. When it reaches 0, it is full. The END Reserve Recovery is how many points it bleeds off every twelve seconds (1 combat turn). I know the "lowering the END" is counter-intuitive a bit, but it sounds like it would do the trick nicely.

As you must pay for END already with FF, I would just create a custom Limitation: Each hit drains END from an END Reserve at X amount of END per point of Body done. Honestly, 1 Body = 2cp =20 END from a Reserve, but you may just rule that it is a 1 for 1 exchange or a 1 Body for 5 END exchange. Build the value of your custom Limitation from the ratio of Body to END loss.

Suggestions only;

1 Body = 1 End (-1/4)

1 Body = 5 End (-1/2)

1 Body = 20 End (-1)

Hope that idea helps.

You could use Endurance Reserve as a guide.

I fear the bookkeeping on that may trump the usefulness of the item. I guess I should have mentioned that this gadget (a crystal key from Fringeworthy for those playing along) has more than one power, but at the time it didn't seem like an issue.

I think the real problem is that I've been trying to convert a badly conceived item. I better take it back to the drawing board before it causes any more trouble.

Thanks much.