Weapon From Anything???

GoldenAge

Re: Weapon From Anything???

Or it could be the mystical nature of the magic item translates into more Damage Classes.

Really - it sounds like you should sit down with the player and run through all of these questions to find out how they feel it should be working.

Is the conversion instant, or do tougher objects require more time.

What happens afterwards or if it's dropped (does it stay a weapon, automatically revert, can the character revert it if the first option)

What if it's magical

Superior technology

alien technology

extra-dimensional

Can he make weapons for other people or is he limited to himself (this relates to 'what happens afterwards')

Once you get all these gather of the Effects and choose the Power that works best - you're turning a trash can lid into a sword - realism has already left the building. Work on what looks cool and works best in the game.

What if it's a magical item? If it's destroyed, we loose it forever. If its just transformed there is a good chance that the mystical nature of the original object persists in its new form.

The Multipower is also automatic. The Transform is more realistic (to me) in that it will be harder for the hero to transform things that will prove to be more useful (higher Body = more DCs).

The mechanics of the Transform power primarily deal with HOW and WHAT can be transformed. It doesn't really address what the transformed object CAN DO.

If this total ability was going to be used in Fantasy Hero setting then it is arguably acceptable to use a skill roll to determine the 'effectiveness' of the tranformed object.

However, since this appears to be destined for a Superhero/Champions setting it is quite appropriate to use a Multipower or VPP to determine what useful 'tools' can be fashioned from what the Transform power can affect.

But when the damage to a "donor" object is advantageous to the character it's no longer a Limitation and should be paid for as a separate ability on its own (like a Limited Killing Attack or Transform).

How often is destroying the donor object going to be advantageous? I agree that if the effect is built as a limitation, the GM can declare that the donor object can't be used if destroying it would be an advantage, or require an additional power to destroy it. Personally, I'd just allow the -0 Side Effect and make sure it was a problem at least as often as it was a help. It is a very limited power, unless the player is making a habit of trying to use it on enemy foci (in which case, if he hadn't paid points, the GM is free to say "It didn't work").

If done as a Transform in a Champions game, the player is using Transform to effectively get a free VPP of attacks. That's unfair to players who don't have similar sources of free points in their builds. In some campaigns it might work, but I wouldn't allow it in most of mine.