Plainclothes Champions

bcholmes

I recently picked up M&M's Paragons book -- a campaign setting more like TV shows such as Heroes or The 4400. Superpowers, without flashy costumes.

I liked the book, but I thought that they still kept one foot in the four-colour world, which weakened the overall premise, in my opinion (even the cover highlights a superdude with traditional skintight costume).

I don't suppose any thoughts gone in to a Plainclothes Champions campaign setting?

Re: Plainclothes Champions

(Disclaimer: Haven't read the book in question)

That covers virtually every contemporary-setting game that is likely to use HERO except the traditional supers game. Almost every game premise I've come up with would qualify - the hidden extended family with single powers, the Buffyesque supernatural game, the died-and-came-back-as-archetypes/godlings game, the Wild Cards variant game...

Probably the first thing to decide is whether the public at large know about the people with powers, whether you want to game the social upheaval when they do find out, or, if not, what incentives you can give your players (and NPCs) to keep their power use discreet.

The other big one is coming up with a reason for the PCs to stick together, since there isn't the built-in tradition of superpowered crimefighting teams. What goal do they all share, and what kinds of conflicts will that bring? It could be as simple as "escape from the men in black that want to find out how we tick".

Oh, also - usually these kinds of settings have one basic reason behind all the powers. The Wild Card virus, the family bloodline, mutation, the magic returns, alteration by benevolent kidnappers from the future, brain tumors let you manipulate "quantum"... Come up with one that gives a lot of wiggle room, but gives some structure (goldfish might/can't get powers, powers do/don't manifest in the womb, powers are/aren't contagious, etc.) - or come up with some reason that all these different sources of power just happen to become evident now, and haven't already changed society. I guess the underlying assumption I'm making is that a "Plainclothes Champions" game is intended to be more plausible than standard comic book universes.

The point of some costumes in the Paragons setting is that government meta-humans do often wear costumes. It is a marketing ploy to try and garner the public's support and imagination [it's the same with many other supers who are trying to make a living from their powers]. If you pick up the module called A More Perfect Union you'll see that none of the PCs in it wear costumes.

I would so love to see an actual Plainclothes Champions book. And with TV programs like Heroes and The Bionic Woman riding high, I think it'd be a decent seller.

I'd even more love to write it. I'd drop every other writing chore I'm doing (most of it is either spec or self-produced anyway) if Steve were to give me the go-ahead on it.

I recently picked up M&M's Paragons book -- a campaign setting more like TV shows such as Heroes or The 4400. Superpowers, without flashy costumes.

I liked the book, but I thought that they still kept one foot in the four-colour world, which weakened the overall premise, in my opinion (even the cover highlights a superdude with traditional skintight costume).

I don't suppose any thoughts gone in to a Plainclothes Champions campaign setting?

Note that Heroes is apparently about to introduce their first costumed hero...