Help with Character - Basilisk

NateDog

I have an idea for a character, but I need some help from anyone that is willing to offer assistance.

The character is a "mild mannered" museum worker or something similar. He discovers a stone claw that is hollowed out, and when he puts his hand in it he is transformed into something from Greek mythology. He is snake from the waist down and a lizard-like humanoid from the waist up.

So.....if the claw is separate from him until he puts it on, and then it turns into part of his body, is it an OAF, OIF, or something else?

Also, any thoughts for powers he could have. I want some super strength and armor, but I am also thinking a transformation to stone attack, maybe a poison bite, but after that I am at a loss. Any ideas?

How about a tail attack? Short range entangle by wrapping up the target in his tail?

I am also trying to decide whether he should be a slow, ponderous creature (like the Medusa from Clash of the Titans....uh...did I just date myself?) or should he be extra fast like the snakes in movies like Anaconda. I am thinking that will depend on how many points I have left.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Re: Help with Character - Basilisk

I have an idea for a character, but I need some help from anyone that is willing to offer assistance.

The character is a "mild mannered" museum worker or something similar. He discovers a stone claw that is hollowed out, and when he puts his hand in it he is transformed into something from Greek mythology. He is snake from the waist down and a lizard-like humanoid from the waist up.

So.....if the claw is separate from him until he puts it on, and then it turns into part of his body, is it an OAF, OIF, or something else?

As was said, 'Only in Hero ID (-1/4)'.

Also' date=' any thoughts for powers he could have. I want some super strength and armor, but I am also thinking a transformation to stone attack, maybe a poison bite, but after that I am at a loss. Any ideas?[/quote']

If you go with strength, don't give him much over human max -- I'd top it out at 25, myself. Armor would be fine. I'd also make the poison bite the transformation to stone. Here's an idea:

Stone Bite: Major Transform 5d6 (75 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Limited Target ([slightly Limited]; -1/4)

You could add Reduced END to it, or 'Must Do Body With Bite Attack' and link it to a bite HKA or some such ...

How about a tail attack? Short range entangle by wrapping up the target in his tail?

That's just a grab. Give him an extra limb (tail), perhaps ambidexterity (so he can use the tail with no penalty), then some Martial Arts -- Snake Style Kung Fu, perhaps. ;)

I am also trying to decide whether he should be a slow' date=' ponderous creature (like the Medusa from Clash of the Titans....uh...did I just date myself?) or should he be extra fast like the snakes in movies like Anaconda. I am thinking that will depend on how many points I have left.[/quote']

Swift, swift, swift. 18 minimum, perhaps 23-25. Plus CSLs. Ignore Harry Potter; make this thing a serious badass.

Agreed on the "Only in Hero ID". As soon as you go the Focus route, too many problems spring up;

In his creature form, is he stone like? You don't mention. If so, then most of Wyrm's suggestions fit well.

Something else you might consider, and it's tricky to play, is a whole bunch of knowledge skills "Only in Hero ID". It's the old "As the change came over him, strange thoughts and memories suffused his body..." shtick. He can recall moving through an ancient jungle say, or serpentine family members. Places that his creature form lived, worked, technology it was familir with. That gives you the option of going SF alien, alternate timeline (When Dinosaurs ruled the earth!) alien or magical/demonic alien.

Stone Bite: Major Transform 5d6 (75 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Limited Target ([slightly Limited]; -1/4

That's just a grab. Give him an extra limb (tail), perhaps ambidexterity (so he can use the tail with no penalty), then some Martial Arts -- Snake Style Kung Fu, perhaps. ;)

Excellent on Stone Bite. However, the tail; I'd go with some serious grappling skills. Good at lock ups, sweeps and take downs. Maybe throw a few submission holds in their too.

If you go with strength, don't give him much over human max -- I'd top it out at 25, myself. Armor would be fine. I'd also make the poison bite the transformation to stone. Here's an idea:

Stone Bite: Major Transform 5d6 (75 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Limited Target ([slightly Limited]; -1/4)

I like that idea. I would not have thought of that myself. I also like the gradual effect. What does the restrainable mean? And is the limited target because someone has to be bitten first, or is it something else. I only have the Sidekick edition so far. I am going to have to put the Hero 5th ed revised on my Christmas list.

More good ideas.

Swift, swift, swift. 18 minimum, perhaps 23-25. Plus CSLs. Ignore Harry Potter; make this thing a serious badass.

I was thinking more brick, but I like the idea of a bit less strength and a bit more speed. Thanks for the input.

Agreed on the "Only in Hero ID". As soon as you go the Focus route, too many problems spring up;

In his creature form, is he stone like? You don't mention. If so, then most of Wyrm's suggestions fit well.

Something else you might consider, and it's tricky to play, is a whole bunch of knowledge skills "Only in Hero ID". It's the old "As the change came over him, strange thoughts and memories suffused his body..." shtick. He can recall moving through an ancient jungle say, or serpentine family members. Places that his creature form lived, worked, technology it was familir with. That gives you the option of going SF alien, alternate timeline (When Dinosaurs ruled the earth!) alien or magical/demonic alien.

He will be like a heavily armored snake or lizard.

I like the knowledge skill "only in hero ID" concept. Again, that is something I never considered (which is why I love this discussion board).

You can extend it into a full blown split personalty, sort of "Moon Night" on steroids. You should consider future story line arcs as well. Remember the old DC pseudo-villain Eclipso? Started off as a split personality, eventually became a complete seperate person. Marvel also did it for a time with the Hulk. There's lots of stuff hidden in the idea of "Only in Hero ID" that many GM's don't consider.

Stone Bite: Major Transform 5d6 (75 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2)' date=' Restrainable (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Limited Target ([slightly Limited']; -1/4)

I like that idea. I would not have thought of that myself. I also like the gradual effect. What does the restrainable mean? And is the limited target because someone has to be bitten first, or is it something else. I only have the Sidekick edition so far. I am going to have to put the Hero 5th ed revised on my Christmas list.

Restrainable means that it isn't something that blasts from his forehead or eyeballs or hands or whatever; he can't use it AT ALL if X happens. Angel can't fly if his wings are grabbed. In this case, Basilisk can't use his Stone Bite if Spider-Man has webbed his mouth closed.

It's Limited Target because usually you can Transform anything. It doesn't make sense to me for Basilisk to bite, oh, a chair and turn it into stone. Therefore, limited target: living animals/humans only. You might want to eliminate the 'living' part, or make it 'living or only recently living' or some such. Otherwise you could bite LEATHER and turn it into Stone.

Re: the snake tail sweeps and everything -- I agree greatly. Get a naked adder for your strength -- AoE Cone, usable for sweeps, only with tail ... stuff like that. Takedowns, etc. Very good thoughts.

This guy's tactics would probably be along the lines of 'Takedown with Tail, turn and bite. Rinse; repeat.'

Re: the snake tail sweeps and everything -- I agree greatly. Get a naked adder for your strength -- AoE Cone, usable for sweeps, only with tail ... stuff like that. Takedowns, etc. Very good thoughts.

This guy's tactics would probably be along the lines of 'Takedown with Tail, turn and bite. Rinse; repeat.'

Yeah, good suggestion. I hadn't thought about AoE Cone, but I can visualize the effect. :)