When Do Your Characters Know When The S**T Has Well And Truly Hit The Fan?

zakueins

Re: When Do Your Characters Know When The S**T Has Well And Truly Hit The Fan?

*coughs* In Ancient Aberrant' date=' it's when [i']Artemis[/i] gets knocked out of the fight, though that's only happened once(Main brick... and Healer for the rest).

Hasn't happened in Vanguard yet, though.

Her fight with Toshimoko, during the battle for the sword? I suppose Artemis getting KOed would be bad, but for that fight, it was really not hugely indicative. The fact that Darius, Rory, and Colin were all on the same battlefield at the same time was indicative enough. ;)

I think the only "Oh S**t" moment I ever had was when my time-based character, Chronamancer, who could 'stop time', ran into another of her race who could 'stop time' inside Chrona's 'stopped time.

That really sorta blew my mind. :nonp:

Mags

In a long ago campaign when I was playing Snapback (a hyper-healing gunbunny who was relatively tough for a street level game but not by any means at superheroic levels) we were working for a good guy corporate black ops outfit called The Foundation. We are called into the briefing and it starts something like this:

"One hour ago Dr Destroyer issued this ultimatum across all channels [plays ultimatum]. The military is coordinating with the Champions...

1. and 'volunteers' from the Chain Gang project [a Suicide Squad analogue] to launch a combined assault.

We are going to use this as a distraction for your insertion on site with the aim of eliminating that German son of a b**** [Dr Destroyer] and the Spanish mindf***er [Menton] from the game permanently. Any questions?"

You could hear a pin drop - it was beautifully done.

We are going to use this as a distraction for your insertion on site with the aim of eliminating that German son of a b**** [Dr Destroyer] and the Spanish mindf***er [Menton] from the game permanently. Any questions?"

....I assume the above wasnt the reality of the situation?

Far worse, what if the above had succeded? The mindbending experience that would qualify for all the characters involved would really be a case of it hitting the fan.

....I assume the above wasnt the reality of the situation?

Far worse, what if the above had succeded? The mindbending experience that would qualify for all the characters involved would really be a case of it hitting the fan.

Unfortunately yes, it was the reality of the situation.

And yes, in that scenario, we killed Dr Destroyer. Eventually. The 4th edition low-end version from Classic Enemies, but a version of him all the same. Which is pretty mind bending I guess, except Menton got away and became the new BB (Big Bad) in that campaign. In a lot of ways, Destroyer was the lesser of two evils and without the bad Doctor to hold him on a leash, Menton as a free agent really was a case of it hitting the fan.

And for the opposing viewpoint (just to show sometimes it's the players who let the GM know when it's hit the fan).....I ran a game where it was revealed that the big bad guy had been manipulating one of the PC's lives for years, and not just her but every alternate timeline version of her as well - using every version of her that had ever been as a mother, he created Homo Tempus; literally the merging of human genetic material with the actual timestream, and he intended on using his new baby to rule every existing and potential line of probability.

Things went pear-shaped and the power was too much for his creation to control, so instead of ruling all of existence he ended up wiping it out. There was literally only the PC, the bad guy and the Homo Tempus NPC left, and the PC was given the choice of letting the bad guy's creation wipe the three of them out or using the power of Homo Tempus to recreate everything as it had been with the exception of the Homo Tempus NPC itself (reason being it would exhaust its own power fixing everything, thus unmaking itself).

She decided that it was worth letting all of existence end to get her revenge...cue lots of dropped jaws from other players and myself as we all realised that she had just quite consciously destroyed the campaign forever... :eek::ugly:

(EDIT: I did save it with a little deus ex machina; it wasn't nearly as satisfying as if she had been the hero of the piece, but it was pretty much agreed by everyone else that we all liked the game so much it was worth the cheat...and it did teach me a lesson about giving players that kind of complete power over the course of events...oy...)

Guest Major Tom

In a long ago campaign when I was playing Snapback (a hyper-healing gunbunny who was relatively tough for a street level game but not by any means at superheroic levels) we were working for a good guy corporate black ops outfit called The Foundation. We are called into the briefing and it starts something like this:

"One hour ago Dr Destroyer issued this ultimatum across all channels [plays ultimatum]. The military is coordinating with the Champions...

1. and 'volunteers' from the Chain Gang project [a Suicide Squad analogue] to launch a combined assault.

Now boarding: the Hoya Express for Oh@#$!areweeverscrewed and beyond!!

Major Tom :D

Guest steamteck

My big bad in almost all my campaigns ends up being a variation on the 9000 year old father of all the immortals-Sort of a none Asian FU Manchu homage that since his creation in the late 80s has evolved into something very different. He's almost never actually seen but manipulates things. If he actually shows up the PCs know that EVERYTHING could be in danger. My tag line is " You see a man with a face like Satan and a brow like Shakespeare" then the fear starts.

The best recent moment was When Gloriana Demeter, a Wonder Woman type who was trained by Athena, ( yes the goddess) comes to the group and says " I need help my mentor's been kidnapped" The expressions on everyone's faces were priceless.

When Grond and Mechanon are duking it out in downtown Crossroad City and Menton has just issued an ultimatum to the UN.

I'd like to note that this has never happened, but it indicates the level of danger needed to make my players feel worried. Up to that point they feel they can handle everything.