Help with Game Stats for a Big Gun?

matrix3

I have been a big fan of the A-10 Warthog ever since I was a boy, part of the allure being its big freaking auto-cannon, the GAU-8 Avenger. A seven barrel, 30mm Gatling-style rotary cannon with a top rate of fire of 3,900 rounds per minute. I would like to include this aircraft in a game, and I want to get the cannon right, but I can't find anything that seems right. Such a high rate of fire would translate into a ridiculous Auto-Fire, and would require a lot of PSL's to compensate for the OCV penalties. I thought about consolidating many individual rounds into one, more powerful, "attack", so that it could just be autofire x5, but that doesn't seem quite right, either. Is this weapon already published? I tried looking around, but my Hero library is woefully incomplete. Maybe someone already has a similar weapon written up. (Susano? Killer Shrike?) If not, any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

Re: Help with Game Stats for a Big Gun?

Thanks!! Just what I was looking for! Susano has _so much_ great stuff there, I thought he had to have this. I must have just had temporary blindness before, or my "Google-Fu" was weak that day, or something.

And, of course, thanks to Susano for all the great write-ups on his website! :D

I also find that AoE and lower autofire amounts seems to simulate that kind of gun well. You still get a bunch of hits (DCV 3) but not too ridiculous, unless that's what you want. Obviously, that's a lot of points though, but a big cannon like that should be. AoE Line is also used for mini-guns at man-portable levels, but likely the range wouldn't be enough with something that size.

Also a fan, and it is very cool. =) Susano does have a lot of cool stuff. I recommend you just bookmark his site and refer to it when something like this comes up. Its very helpful.

the A-10 character sheet is one of mine, I get bored sometimes and sit down and crank out a few conversions here and there.

Here are the sites I borrow a lot of data from

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/index.html

http://www.airforce-technology.com/

http://www.naval-technology.com/

I also use wikipedia to look for more detail

and an assortment of books here and a couple of wingnut friends with large libraries

one habit I picked up from FASA, all vehicles have problems or little annoyances about them, be they physical, electronic etc. or even political issues with their being built in first place.

so when I do a vehicle writeup, I at least try and include such information where available, even if its not worth any points. which is why things like Wikipedia publications like the Squadron Signal books come in handy for. or just having a beer or two with a friends father who served on a ww2 sub tender proved very interesting, but that story is better covered in the cruise book I posted a link for

this is more pulp or golden age cause of the time period, but there are some amazing pictures in the album.

NOTE: some of these might not be work safe

no bare chested native girls or anything, but there are some graphic pictures taken during the communist rebellions in china, and during the russian famine.

http://as9.larryshomeport.com/html/cruise.html

theres one shot of a really young Chang Kai Shek

Chief Landis had 2 albums, the other was a DoD publication about Operation Crossroads[bikini H Bomb Tests] but most of it is already online, so we didnt bother scanning it

the one we did scan had a handtooled hide cover with a stabstiched binding

hide probably being buffalo. sadly the all black embossed cover wont scan.

we tried. the entire album was starting to deteriorate, so we remounted all the pictures on acid free paper with acid free mounting hinges. a big thanks to Dave Sering of Judges Guild fame for his help in this effort.