Another VPP Question

Sidume

Hi all,

I posted this on another VPP discussion, but had no takers. Anyone want to take a shot?

I'm looking for input on some costs. I've built a character with a fairly large VPP (90 active pts.):dyn. I'm looking for input on building, and what the appropriate math might be.

While the pool is large, the effect is fairly limited. :( He is a power mimic. The concept is that the character has significant mental abilities, but hasn't figured out how to access them. So he can copy any power with a mental component. In doing that he has the following limitation: Cannot copy powers that are mystic-based, focus-based, strictly physical, or stats. (-1, for now) For example, if he were to copy Aquaman, all he could get would be the minor telepathy and the ability to speak with the fish. He wouldn't get the benefit of Aquaman's Life Support, Enhanced Senses, Swimming out the wazoo, or Brick Stats. Do people think that -1 is right, or should it be higher (or lower rather)?

While this limitation might not mean much after he knows enough people to copy, there is another significant limitation. He has to be in range of the other person to copy them. I should assign this as a limitation, but I'm not sure what to call it, or how much of a negative to assign it. :rolleyes: Any suggestions?

Hopefully I haven't scared people away, because I need to throw in yet another monkey wrench. Limiting the character to only copy those restricted powers in range made him virtually unplayable. :ugly: So I expanded it a little bit, by saying he could carry 6 recoverable charges of copied powers. These aren't real easy to recover - it requires 20 minutes of exposure in range of the newly copied power to put it into a charge. But I don't want to limit the entire pool to the 6 recoverable charges, or I'll have spent a huge chunk of points on something that will almost never come into play.

Any suggestions on how to set this up, and what math to use? :doi:

Re: Another VPP Question

90 90 pt VPP: Mental Mimicry

45 Control Cost: May Only Change Pool to Powers Targeted by ECV (i.e. Mental Powers) -1, May Only Change Pool to Powers Sensed Before -1, Requires No Skill Roll/Time (essentially Cosmic) +2

? Sense Mental Powers: Discriminatory, 360, maybe even Tracking and Telescopic (kind of a juiced up Mental Awareness, no book available to crunch the cost for you)

Someone comes within range and you "sniff" them out and, with a high enough PER Roll on your Sense, you add their abilities to your repertoire. This could be insanely powerful as you are going to essentially have a 90 pt Mental Multipower with an infinite number of slots.

Thanks. I may tweak him to go that route, but making not quite so limited as the "ECV based powers." I want him to be able to copy stuff like teleportation & energy blasts - I want the restriction to apply to foci, mystic & strictly physical stuff. I'll probably take a -3/4 on that.

And the sense was already on the character. But the sense wasn't limited to just what he could copy. Thus far, it's been his most useful ability.

I reallized that it could be real powerful. That's why I was using the charges, but they were too limiting.

Are you saying he can only use "copied" powers while still in range of the person he copied them from?

Mostly.

I was thinking that, plus six recoverable charges. Charges are limited to powers he can copy, and he must be in range of a person for 20 minutes to create a charge from that person's power. No open slots, no new power.

I could barely read the question. Something about bright, tight, purple text. :ugly: As to the question at hand:

* First, you purchase your VPP normally; I disagree with my brother here in that I feel that you ARE placing serious limitations on the pool itself. Mental Powers Only (-1 1/2), Must Maintain Proximity to Source (-1), Only Mental Powers With No Additional Components (-1).

Second, the power is... how to say it? Lame? I always use a simple litmus test; not "Would I do that?" but "Can I envision a character that can do that?" Sure, but it's like a very low-level cat, and I don't even know I'd give him a full 90pt VPP, but it's what works for you, not me. :D

Hey Thia,

You're right around the corner from this game. It plays in Herndon.

* Text untightened. But I still like purple. :)

First, you purchase your VPP normally; I disagree with my brother here in that I feel that you ARE placing serious limitations on the pool itself. Mental Powers Only (-1 1/2), Must Maintain Proximity to Source (-1), Only Mental Powers With No Additional Components (-1).

If it were just mental powers, I would agree on the -1 1/2, but it's just limited to things with a mental component, like concentration. It can't copy mystic abilities or foci. It can't copy a brick's tricks. It could copy flight if someone just wills themselves to fly. If target needs wings for flight, he couldn't copy that. I could copy Superman's heat vision, but not his invulnerability.

I didn't require the proximity because of the charges. At first, the character was limited only to the charges, proximity was required to recharge. That's far to limiting, so I'm trying to expand it to charges or proximity.

And the "No Additional Components" wouldn't really apply. Yes, copying telepathy wouldn't give me Mental Awareness, but I shouldn't take that as a limitation if the character has purchased it separately.

Second, the power is... how to say it? Lame? I always use a simple litmus test; not "Would I do that?" but "Can I envision a character that can do that?" Sure, but it's like a very low-level cat, and I don't even know I'd give him a full 90pt VPP, but it's what works for you, not me.

Lame? I agree. But that's okay. It fits the game (it's a teen supers game, with people growing into their abilities). And with 90 points I can copy and use several abilities at once, or copy large abilities. The game is fairly high level, so someone throwing a 5d6 RKA isn't that uncommon. Think Teen Titans. While we might not be throwing down with Supergirl, some of the group could give Changeling or Starfire a run.

Obviously not my character, at least until I can get him fixed.

Hey Thia,

You're right around the corner from this game. It plays in Herndon.

* Text untightened. But I still like purple. :)

First, you purchase your VPP normally; I disagree with my brother here in that I feel that you ARE placing serious limitations on the pool itself. Mental Powers Only (-1 1/2), Must Maintain Proximity to Source (-1), Only Mental Powers With No Additional Components (-1).

If it were just mental powers, I would agree on the -1 1/2, but it's just limited to things with a mental component, like concentration. It can't copy mystic abilities or foci. It can't copy a brick's tricks. It could copy flight if someone just wills themselves to fly. If target needs wings for flight, he couldn't copy that. I could copy Superman's heat vision, but not his invulnerability.

I didn't require the proximity because of the charges. At first, the character was limited only to the charges, proximity was required to recharge. That's far to limiting, so I'm trying to expand it to charges or proximity.

And the "No Additional Components" wouldn't really apply. Yes, copying telepathy wouldn't give me Mental Awareness, but I shouldn't take that as a limitation if the character has purchased it separately.

Second, the power is... how to say it? Lame? I always use a simple litmus test; not "Would I do that?" but "Can I envision a character that can do that?" Sure, but it's like a very low-level cat, and I don't even know I'd give him a full 90pt VPP, but it's what works for you, not me.

Lame? I agree. But that's okay. It fits the game (it's a teen supers game, with people growing into their abilities). And with 90 points I can copy and use several abilities at once, or copy large abilities. The game is fairly high level, so someone throwing a 5d6 RKA isn't that uncommon. Think Teen Titans. While we might not be throwing down with Supergirl, some of the group could give Changeling or Starfire a run.

Obviously not my character, at least until I can get him fixed.

Hey Sidume;

First, glad to see more cats in my area. I'm always happy to expand my circle. Send me a PM and I'll give you my email address, and we can get together and play some HALO or NHL 08 sometime. Meet and greet. Do coffee. I'll event Louis and we can argue over HALO: Combat Evolved. Good times. Anyway.

Thank you for untightening the text. :D You're my new friend. Purple, fine. Squishy purple, not so much.

I think I misunderstood the power (note squishy purple). If the premise is "Rogue Light," then this should work as written. And I think that's the idea; my interpretation was WAY off from what I understand it to be now, so my apologies for that. :ugly:

Glad we got that cleared up. So this is Rogue, yes?

Rogue? Similar idea, as a power mimic, but not the concept. I'm picturing him as a very versatile character with a lot of mind-over-matter potential, but something that might take years to develop. I doubt he'll be played long enough to realize that potential, but that's the idea anyway.

In addition to the VPP he has a couple small schticks, but they're very specialized, and don't come into play very often (Like DR 25% Mental-Resistant, Another (much smaller) VPP that only duplicates personal immunity abilities). The big VPP is the biggest thing in his arsenal (and the only offensive thing).

He's on a team with a very varied group of other kid supers. We've got a mystic-powersuitist (can't copy), a shaman-lite (can't copy), a martial artist with 12d6 of luck (can't copy), a teleporting ninja with a little mind control (can copy - thank heavens!), and a 10 year old that summons monsters (can copy, but nowhere near what she can, too many points!:eek:).

Amazingly enough, my character does have one Danger Room win, though he did win on a technicality. Mimicing the instructor saying "it's over" is much more effective when in a darkness field. :sneaky::D