What am I missing... the 5th ED Champions...

chariot

Re: Re: What am I missing... the 5th ED Champions...

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

Me too - but I have the black dice. The itty bitty blue ones were a great disappointment to another player who bought later.

Itty bitty blue dice? Mine are not itty bitty... they are good size. Probably the same size as your black ones. Maybe they had different colors...

Ahh, Flare and Marksman... the good old days. Who else was there? I only vaguely remember...wasn't there a "Demonic" guy with green skin and wings?

Re: I actually started to read CU, and...

Originally posted by chariot

I must, however, insert a strong personal comment here. I followed Lord Lidian's (sp?) advice and checked out some of the upcoming products. Looks good, except... did anyone else out there buy Ultimate Supermage and get turned off by the editorial asides by the author about RL practioners of magick? I was so unbelievably enraged by the snide remarks and outright insults that were slung, that I swore I would never buy another supplement penned by that author. Now I see he's been tapped to write The Mystic World and Vibora Bay, the two supplements I am most interested in... particulary because I am a RL practioner of magick.

If I had the supplement in front of me, I'd quote some of the passages... alas, I do not. But I remember my feelings well to this day. These editorial feelings had no business being in the supplement.

I myself have Ultimate Super Mage, Chariot. I think I can remember the passages that you're alluding to, and I can understand why that might offend you if you practice magick yourself. Those comments probably do reflect the scepticism most people feel about it, although to be fair I think Dean Shomshak was referring more to the kind of flashy magic depicted in movies and novels. Still, I'd advise you not to let Dean's remarks spoil your enjoyment of USM, which I for one found to be a very interesting and useful supplement for super-magic campaigns. Many of Harlan Ellison's published remarks have convinced me that he's an arrogant, opinionated martinet, but I still think he writes good fiction. ;)

There are a couple of factors that might encourage you, though. First, IIRC Vibora Bay is slated to be written by Darren Watts rather than Dean Shomshak. Second, before finishing the first draft of a new book the current Hero Games management has traditionally posted a "What do *You* Want to See" thread soliciting fan input. That would be a perfect time to give your input on this subject for the new Ultimate Mystic and expect to have it at least heard. :)

I must, however, insert a strong personal comment here. I followed Lord Lidian's (sp?) advice and checked out some of the upcoming products. Looks good, except... did anyone else out there buy Ultimate Supermage and get turned off by the editorial asides by the author about RL practioners of magick? I was so unbelievably enraged by the snide remarks and outright insults that were slung, that I swore I would never buy another supplement penned by that author. Now I see he's been tapped to write The Mystic World and Vibora Bay, the two supplements I am most interested in... particulary because I am a RL practioner of magick.

I remember the sections you're talking about. I don't practice magic, and I don't go to church. Nevertheless, I found them offensive and/or nonsensical.

Even though Dean's tapped to write The Ultimate Mystic and The Mystic World for next year (not VB, as stated), here's why you don't have to worry about that sort of thing happening again:

1. I told him to approach subjects more appropriately.

2. If he doesn't, I'm the one editing the manuscript and I'll remove any references I consider inappropriate.

I have no objection to publishing something others consider "offensive" if it's worth publishing -- there's a reason Andy jokingly refers to me as "the most insensitive man in gaming." But I see absolutely no reason to offend people gratuitously, or for authors to express personal opinions about sensitive subjects in gaming supplements. It's OK to express directly relevant opinions -- witness the FH bibliography -- but social and political commentary I'd generally lump into the unnecessary category. ;)

Re: Re: I actually started to read CU, and...

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

I myself have Ultimate Super Mage, Chariot. I think I can remember the passages that you're alluding to, and I can understand why that might offend you if you practice magick yourself. Those comments probably do reflect the scepticism most people feel about it, although to be fair I think Dean Shomshak was referring more to the kind of flashy magic depicted in movies and novels. Still, I'd advise you not to let Dean's remarks spoil your enjoyment of USM, which I for one found to be a very interesting and useful supplement for super-magic campaigns. Many of Harlan Ellison's published remarks have convinced me that he's an arrogant, opinionated martinet, but I still think he writes good fiction. ;) [/qUOTE]

Well, I am encouraged that I am not alone in being able to identify those passages. I was particularly offended because the rest of the material was so good. He did his homework. And Harlan is an arrogant, opinionated left-wing nut.:D But he is still one of my favorite authors.

Originally posted by Steve Long

I remember the sections you're talking about. I don't practice magic, and I don't go to church. Nevertheless, I found them offensive and/or nonsensical.

I have no objection to publishing something others consider "offensive" if it's worth publishing -- there's a reason Andy jokingly refers to me as "the most insensitive man in gaming." But I see absolutely no reason to offend people gratuitously, or for authors to express personal opinions about sensitive subjects in gaming supplements. It's OK to express directly relevant opinions -- witness the FH bibliography -- but social and political commentary I'd generally lump into the unnecessary category. ;)

Steve,

thanks very much for your reply. I am very encouraged by this. Dean wrote some tremendous stuff in USM, there is no doubt. I felt that it should have had a stronger editorial hand. To be honest, I didn't buy another Hero product after that... until DOJ took over and FRED came out.