Glassy Mars

Basil

Re: Glassy Mars

Fortunately with modern technology a good library of movies' date=' music, and e-books takes very little mass, and new ones can be uploaded throughout the mission.[/quote']

Why not just send one guy and a collection of robots? We could send him special movies that never made it to theaters maybe?

Has this been done before?

Midas

That's okay' date=' I want me some hawt Martian women![/quote']

I assume you're talking about the red egg-laying Dejah Thoris types' date=' and not the weird green long-headed Martian Manhunter type or the exposed-brain Mars Attacks type...[/quote']

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Tyr%27ahnee

Nah, Queen Tyranhnee! :D

Why not just send one guy and a collection of robots? We could send him special movies that never made it to theaters maybe?

Has this been done before?

Midas

Yeah it has' date=' didn't work so well then either.[/quote']

Silent Running?

One person would probably go mad. We need to speak and interact with other people. Solitary confinement is a punishment in every human society.

But even if we can find a hermit who can take two and a half years without a realtime conversation with another person, if he gets an attack of appendicitis or falls and breaks a leg or any one of a thousand other medical emergencies, he, and the mission, are well and truely screwed.

Just like using the buddy system when SCUBA diving.

Silent Running?

One person would probably go mad. We need to speak and interact with other people. Solitary confinement is a punishment in every human society.

But even if we can find a hermit who can take two and a half years without a realtime conversation with another person, if he gets an attack of appendicitis or falls and breaks a leg or any one of a thousand other medical emergencies, he, and the mission, are well and truely screwed.

Just like using the buddy system when SCUBA diving.

Mystery Science Theater 3000

(it took me a moment to get it as well)

Oh, and for the record, a Mars trip is a 1,000 day mission.

Oh' date=' and for the record, a Mars trip is a 1,000 day mission.[/quote']

Design Reference Mission says six months there, eighteen monts on surface, six months back, 30 months or 2.5 years. You're saying 1000 days, or 2.74 years. Either way, close enough for ballpark figures.

Design Reference Mission says six months there' date=' eighteen monts on surface, six months back, 30 months or 2.5 years. You're saying 1000 days, or 2.74 years. Either way, close enough for ballpark figures.[/quote']

I think that's NASA's highest mission rating.

C'mon McCoy. College kids with large campuses and individual rooms can't manage this. I doubt six people and one bathroom (and heaven help you if someone has some sort of genetic problem that blows up half way between here and there) would actually work on any level. I'd go insane.

Too few people? *snap*

Too MANY people and no space? *pop*

The difference is subtle, but it's there.

Dude we could look for crew at game cons....."We get to stay in one room and Game for 6 mo's?" "Whoo hoo!" "I can finally run this adventure I wrote in college!"