Champions 4th edition

Crossbow

Okay so I am running a Champions campaign in 4th edition.

I have a new character (electrical elemental type) that want to be able to control machines and computers electrically.

I figure the AI and computer stuff is easy, mind control usable on machines, only on machines. Now I need to figure controlling non-intelligent machines, I am thinking TK usable only to make them do what they could normally do, usable only on electrically powered devices. Would a 1.5 limitation be about right for that your think?

The other piece to this is figuring what kind of defense certain things like an armor-jock's battlesuit might have to resist that kind of effect, any ideas out there?

Finally, I was wondering if there was ever anything fleshed out anywhere on the CyberKnights of Atlanta mentioned several times in the High Tech Enemies book. My team is based in Savannah so I think the group has a good chance of a run in with the old members.

Any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

Re: Champions 4th edition

Finally, I was wondering if there was ever anything fleshed out anywhere on the CyberKnights of Atlanta mentioned several times in the High Tech Enemies book. My team is based in Savannah so I think the group has a good chance of a run in with the old members.

The CyberKnights were fully written up in Allies, also for 4th Edition. Opinions vary about the quality of this supplement, but I like it a great deal; you might try to pick it up on Ebay or at the bargain bin of your FLGS. IDHMBIFOM but I recall the following members:

Hardwire -- a cyborg Batman (detective-martial artist-gadgeteer);

Crossbow -- a crossbow-wielder with a jet bike;

MACCS -- a sentient robotic war machine with a CvK;

Starguard? Starknight? -- A female interstellar power armor hero with an energy sword;

Heavy Duty? -- A construction/heavy lifter powersuit.

That's all I can remember; there may have been one or two more.

Edit: How could I forget? Fast Forward -- a cyborg speedster with a mysterious past.

One of the books (I don't recall which) has a section on Cyberkinesis that covers some of this; we kept trying to write it up in my group for one of my players but I don't know to this day we managed it properly, because idiot machines don't have "minds," but I think we handwaved that for their BODY score. But don't quote me on that.

Now I need to figure controlling non-intelligent machines, I am thinking TK usable only to make them do what they could normally do, usable only on electrically powered devices. Would a 1.5 limitation be about right for that your think?

The other piece to this is figuring what kind of defense certain things like an armor-jock's battlesuit might have to resist that kind of effect, any ideas out there?

You could make the TK NND, with the defense being Power Defense. Coupled with your "only on electrically powered devices" limitation, that would seem to do the trick.

-1.5 seems in the ballpark.

Would a 1.5 limitation be about right for that your think?

The UNTIL Super Powers Database book, for a similar power, gives a -1 value to "Only to Control Machines and Machine Parts," but the flavor text indicates it would be a broader power than yours -- allowing disassembly of machines. YMMV. And it just uses regular TK -- but this doesn't allow for any defense (other than STR, which most objects have none of).

By the way, even for your 4th edition needs, you should really get the USPDB. It contains a lot of useful power writeups -- some creative, some basic, all arranged by special effect. So you can turn to Cyberkinesis and get 7 pages of writeups. The only problem with the book is it can be hard to think of a power that wasn't written up.

The UNTIL Super Powers Database book, for a similar power, gives a -1 value to "Only to Control Machines and Machine Parts," but the flavor text indicates it would be a broader power than yours -- allowing disassembly of machines. YMMV. And it just uses regular TK -- but this doesn't allow for any defense (other than STR, which most objects have none of).

By the way, even for your 4th edition needs, you should really get the USPDB. It contains a lot of useful power writeups -- some creative, some basic, all arranged by special effect. So you can turn to Cyberkinesis and get 7 pages of writeups. The only problem with the book is it can be hard to think of a power that wasn't written up.

They may still have the bundle for the 1st & 2nd USPDs. Two of the few Champions supplements I actually own. Very useful, really, and much easier to figure out than the Grimoires (which are organized by type, but "type" is part of a setting nomenclature and has very little in common with how my brain processes data).

• 4 years later...

One of the books (I don't recall which) has a section on Cyberkinesis that covers some of this; we kept trying to write it up in my group for one of my players but I don't know to this day we managed it properly' date=' because idiot machines don't have "minds," but I think we handwaved that for their BODY score. But don't quote me on that.[/quote']

If they are not an A.I. computer then the simple thing to do is use INT.

No the reason you use TK for unintelligent Mechanical machines is that you take the weight of the whole Machine to see if the TK can effect it.

If it has any sort of computer then you use the Mental powers. I would just assume that non AI's have an ego of 0 and allow them to go with that. If the machine has software defenses just buy them as Mental Defense.

APG1 uses Cyberkinesis strictly as a Mind Control power, works on EGO if one is given, INT if one is not, and assigns an INT to other machines that don't even have that much of a "brain". It even gives Foci a "Simulated INT" of AP/5 (+5 or 50%, whichever is smaller, if its Inaccessible) so you can use your mental powers on Foci! It grants a bonus of 1 STR TK for every 4d6 effect bought just for "pushing buttons" and the like on a machine and even discusses a Cyberkinetic modifier for Telekinesis itself if you want to use that instead. Its almost 4 full pages just on Cyberkinesis! (As you might have guessed from my Name I am a huge fan of this power, so yeah, I love that book!)